Edmonton Aviators.. now THIS is interesting...

strobe_z

Titus wants to come back to the Aviators..

Should Titus be allowed to rejoin the team? Seems that he wants to now that Wylie Stafford is gone. I haven't made up my mind on this one yet... on the one hand Titus is a pretty good player.. on the other - how burned is that bridge?

He says that he's got an offer from Charleston to return there, but that he'd really like to return to Edmonton.

First an actual win.. now this..crazy crazy...

Oh spare me the "oh sh#t, what have I done reinvent the wheel" refrain now that he has been released by Toronto.

Ongaro was an incompetent coach a couple of weeks ago [he may be, I do not know him and the classic South American/European short term "soccer mercenary" v. local Cdn. player, i.e talent v. all hustle but the ball may as well be square has been a component in Cdn. semi-pro/"amateur" soccer for as long as I can recall] but now that a front office person has been replaced all is different?

The requirement to have Edmonton/Alberta players form a significant component of the team was a well publicized element to team managment's agreement with the Edmonton Soccer Association. We can debate whether or not in hindsight that that was a good decision but regardless it was, or should have been, well known to anyone or his agent signing with the team.

I do not care one way or the other if Titus comes back or not apart from the fact that others who saw him play said he certainly stood out as being talented.

If he can catch on with another team, good for him. If not, perhaps he can find a financial backer and buy his own team and then he can say and do whatever he wants. Build his own stadium, train in Kelowna, spend all sorts of "his" money on a first class organization.

Thanks for that perspective Bob.

Personally, I like the idea that the Canadian teams are taking the young players and giving them some playing time like the Aviators have with Chin, Lemire, Drummond, Kassaye, Fraser and Dhaliwal. Maybe Rago will yet make it to then field.

How else are we going to develop players and improve the quality of play in "our top league"? Unfortunately, it may result in situations likme the Aviators are now going through, but the players who are there, and the fans, have to be made aware, not given false hopes of success in the first year(s) of existence.

quote:Originally posted by bmac

Oh spare me the "oh sh#t, what have I done reinvent the wheel" refrain now that he has been released by Toronto.

Ongaro was an incompetent coach a couple of weeks ago [he may be, I do not know him and the classic South American/European short term "soccer mercenary" v. local Cdn. player, i.e talent v. all hustle but the ball may as well be square has been a component in Cdn. semi-pro/"amateur" soccer for as long as I can recall] but now that a front office person has been replaced all is different?

The requirement to have Edmonton/Alberta players form a significant component of the team was a well publicized element to team managment's agreement with the Edmonton Soccer Association. We can debate whether or not in hindsight that that was a good decision but regardless it was, or should have been, well known to anyone or his agent signing with the team.

I do not care one way or the other if Titus comes back or not apart from the fact that others who saw him play said he certainly stood out as being talented.

If he can catch on with another team, good for him. If not, perhaps he can find a financial backer and buy his own team and then he can say and do whatever he wants. Build his own stadium, train in Kelowna, spend all sorts of "his" money on a first class organization.

But if Edmonton folds under it's current dismal ownership you'll be begging for him to come back with his business partner and start a team, huh?

quote:Originally posted by bmac

But if Edmonton folds under it's current dismal ownership you'll be begging for him to come back with his business partner and start a team, huh?

quote:Originally posted by JackNorth

Not to make assumptions, but if Rick and his partner was passed over for this current group what does that say?

Not much, when it comes to approving ownership the A-League hasn't really got much of a decent record in picking good ones. Perhaps the decision was based on the fact that they wanted local owners. Perhaps it was based on the ridiculous attendance number the present ownership claimed they would get. Remember this is the league that allowed Cincinnatis owner into the league year after year (and every year he'd stop paying his players halfway through the season. It's not as if the league has a good track record when it comes to asessing ownership.

quote:But if Edmonton folds under it's current dismal ownership you'll be begging for him to come back with his business partner and start a team, huh?
That will happen just about the same time as you start supporting the Seattle Sounders.

Rick Titus had a few interesting things to say over on the USL message board about Canadian soccer:

"Snake and "in the know" you two guys know nothing of the situation, as for my attitude yes I have one and at times it is bad, and that is because I don't like to put up with bs like the stuff that was going on in Edmonton and Toronto. People in Canadian soccer wonder why the pro teams can never produce much of anything. Well it has everything to do with leadership, and the guys running the show coaching in Edmonton and Toronto don't have any idea what kind of attitude you need to be a winner. Canadians are too nice, too calm, to sportsmanlike, too fair, too everything to be winners because they don't know what it takes. To be a winner you have to do whatever is required to win. You have to be nasty at times, rude at times,loud at times, hard at times, cuss at times, and you must have the attitude it takes to really put it on an opponent when he is trying to take the piss. Honestly football is a tough game and it reqires a tough mentality which neither of these coaches understand, they are too content with being mediocre, I however am not, so to all those that don't like that you can kiss my a--."

http://www.usldiscussions.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=55;t=000149;p=1#000005

Guest Georgio

He seems to attack Canadians in general. Guys a f*cking tool if thinks Canada doesn't produce winners. Our national past time incorporates one on one fighting as part of the game, how's that for "loud and hard at times". Sure your in a situation of what you see as poor management, but let's say the Impact win the entire thing this year (it's a possibility), what does that say about Canadians. Those are some dumb comments.

Titus is a guy that speaks his mind; and that sometimes gets him into trouble. There's know doubt that he gives 100% each game and loves winning.

As a professional athlete, I think he needs to address the media in a different manner. He can't just come out and say whatever's on his mind and be so negative on every team he has a run in with.

By the way Titus, are you making the trip to T.O. tomorrow.

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

He seems to attack Canadians in general. Guys a f*cking tool if thinks Canada doesn't produce winners. Our national past time incorporates one on one fighting as part of the game, how's that for "loud and hard at times". Sure your in a situation of what you see as poor management, but let's say the Impact win the entire thing this year (it's a possibility), what does that say about Canadians. Those are some dumb comments.

I think he was speaking in generalities, and about Canadian A-League soccer teams in general. Take a look at Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto. These are teams that are usually just happy to be playing in the league, they aren't really too concerned about winning any championships. Montreal seems to be the only Canadian team putting forth an effort to win anything.

Now of course this could be said of many of the American A-League teams as well, but he chose to attack "Canadians" in general. Secure Canadians won't find any offense in his comments.

From a positive poinnt of view, here is a good news item passed on by zico at The Hangar:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

..."Tickets for the game [July 16] are on sale now at the Aviators ' new single game ticket price of $15 for adults ($11.00 plus $4.00 service charges and taxes) and $11.00 for children aged 6-17 and seniors ($7.00 plus $4.00 service charges and taxes). Children under 6 get in for free."

“The game on July 13 th at Commonwealth Stadium will be our last double-header. Beginning with our game on July 16 th , we're into single games for the rest of the season. As such, our prices will be adjusted after July 13 th for the remainder of the season,” said McDannold.

Let's hope that this adjustment helps the attendence

Archived