Best all time foreign players in Canada

Alberto7

I was looking through my History of the NASL book on the weekend and got the idea for this post:

Who do you consider to be the best foreign player to ever play for a Canadian club team?

My vote goes to Eusebio, the great Portugese International who spent one season with Toronto Metros-Croatia when they won the NASL soccer Bowl in 1976.

Honorable mention goes to Gordon Hill, former England and Manchester United striker who played for the Montreal Manic of the NASL in 1981 and 1982 and also for the ill-fated Inter Montreal FC of the CPSL in 1983.

Your views and comments please...

Well Gordon Hill would have been my choice so you beat me to that one. If I were to look for others I might think of Roberto Bettega formerly of Juve who played Blizzard.

Oddly, there were also high profile internationals who came to North America and did not live to their reputations. Do you recall JF Larios, the who was on the French national team (including WC 82)and whose signing made the front pages. I still recall the picture of him holding the new jersey being on the front cover of Le Journal de Montréal. But his stay was rather short if I recall.

quote:Oddly, there were also high profile internationals who came to North America and did not live to their reputations. Do you recall JF Larios, the who was on the French national team (including WC 82)and whose signing made the front pages. I still recall the picture of him holding the new jersey being on the front cover of Le Journal de Montréal. But his stay was rather short if I recall.

He played for the Manic in 1983 but by then the team was a mess. If you recall, the management(was it O'Keefe or Molson?) announced before the start of the 1983 season that as of 1984, the Manic would become "Team Canada." This was, I guess, an effort to emulate the Team America concept that was launched that year. In essence the "best" american players were supposed to leave all their clubs and play for Team America( home games were played in Washington).Most of the best Americans refused and Team America was left with a lot of second stringers. Needless to say the experiment failed.

In Montreal, the fans were outraged and stopped going to the Manic games. Averages went from about 23,000 (for 1981) to around 9,000. The team lost a whole boatload of money and folded at the end of the season[xx(]. Yet another case of management stupidity in Canadian soccer.

Vujovic,Dragon

Montreal Manic. Much better than JF Larios. Larois came over after his european career was in ruins. He did nothing.

Dragon rocked the place. The former Yugoslavia/Red Star Belgrade forward was hitting his prime in 82/83.

And the Big Owe rocked with him. And of note the manic drew 23,000 as it's top yearly attendance. with it's biggest crowd being 58,000 for a play-off game against the Sting.

The closest thing we've come to a European crowd flavour to a soccer game in North America.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Vujovic,Dragon

Montreal Manic. Much better than JF Larios. Larois came over after his european career was in ruins. He did nothing.

Dragon rocked the place. The former Yugoslavia/Red Star Belgrade forward was hitting his prime in 82/83.

And the Big Owe rocked with him. And of note the manic drew 23,000 as it's top yearly attendance. with it's biggest crowd being 58,000 for a play-off game against the Sting.

The closest thing we've come to a European crowd flavour to a soccer game in North America.

Thanks... I forgot about Dragon Vujovich(sp). But if we are to include him, then one could include Thompson Ussian(sp). A very gifted and talented Nigerian. He played at a time when Euro league had not awakened to the talent that was available in Africa. One of thompson's goals was featured on a web page a few years ago that showed video clips of the best ever goals scored in soccer. His was a bicycle kick that made it as one of the best NASL goals ever. But unfortunately, fifa invervened and shut down that web site.

However, unlike Hill, Bettega, and Eusebio, I do not recal these two having the same level of int'l profile.

those were the days in Montreal. I was actually a memember of the Thomspon Ussyian Fan Club. Got season tickets for the 82 indoor season as part of the deal. I think it was 25 bucks or something.

My favorite Manic player if not the best:

Tony Towers

Archived