Do the Ottawa Wizards still exist ?

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

The last time I checked a CPSL team hasn't played a PDL team, so it is impossible to say that the PDL is better.

What are you basing your opinion on? I am just curious... have you seen a PDL game? I haven't so I wouldn't know...

I have the 2002 PDL championship match on tape that I saved just to get an idea of the quality of the league (though given that it was the championship final it would probably reflect the higher-end rather than the average quality of the league). But I still haven't watched it [:I], so I don't really have anything interesting to say. [:P] Except that this year's PDL final is supposed to be broadcast on FSWC as well so that would be an opportunity for you to check it out.

The strength of the PDL isn't in their teams, it's in the League.

Winnipeg's elite amateur teams regularly play PDL exhibition matches, and the quality is no better than what we have in our own back-yard.

What the PDL offers is a stable NA based league, that is well run and relatively affordable. Sounds like nothing, but that is a rarity.

Ah yes, but the PDL also offers a season in which every match can be played against a quality of opponent who could be deemed a threat. PDL could eliminate a half seasons worth of meaningless, outcome already determined miss-matchs. As short a season as it is and with as retched a schedule as it has, dought we'd see too many 9-0 matchs.

Same complaints as you hear about the SPL with all the bottom feeders constantly getting skinned alive.

Still don't know if a PDL franchise would fly (except as a tax right off) in our neck of the woods. Might, but it would take some work.

What I do like about the PDL idea, for any location, is as Jordon pointed out most any urban center could field a decent club with locals.

Heads up! Holland-Sweden on channel 13.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Sons of Italy Lions. Sons. Lions. Either will do. If you didn't know they're one of the "Big Three" in the MMSL Premier League. Always seem to be up to something.

They are one of the clubs that are regularly playing elite teams from the US, and were Canadian Amateur champions 2 years ago. The other clubs would be Lucania and Sokol.

Interesting to note, when I speak with the management from Sons, they always note the huge difference between PDL and A-League. They regualrly beat PDL teams, but usually are well beaten by A-League clubs.

One thing that does suck about the PDL, is the length of the season. It starts too early for Winnipeg, and ends too late. It really doesn't fit.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Interesting to note, when I speak with the management from Sons, they always note the huge difference between PDL and A-League. They regualrly beat PDL teams, but usually are well beaten by A-League clubs.

That's not surprising, given that the PDL is U23. I don't know why this fact is rarely mentioned when people are discussing the PDL. This needs to be taken into consideration.

quote:One thing that does suck about the PDL, is the length of the season. It starts too early for Winnipeg, and ends too late. It really doesn't fit.
Starts too early, perhaps, but the regular season ends July 18 and the final is August 7! This, of course, is so that players can get back to college (just like the W-League).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

That's not surprising, given that the PDL is U23. I don't know why this fact is rarely mentioned when people are discussing the PDL. This needs to be taken into consideration.

Starts too early, perhaps, but the regular season ends July 18 and the final is August 7! This, of course, is so that players can get back to college (just like the W-League).

Clubs can get exemptions from the U-23 clause. I don't think this is adherred to very tightly given what I've heard from some of the Winnipeg clubs. This is not a hard and fast rule.

I realize the season is short for US schools, but that doesn't change the fact that the season does not fit our Canadian soccer season. C'mon a season ending in mid-July ? Mid July is when things a finally getting a bit warm. For Winnipeg that makes no sense from either a player or fans perspective.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I realize the season is short for US schools, but that doesn't change the fact that the season does not fit our Canadian soccer season. C'mon a season ending in mid-July ? Mid July is when things a finally getting a bit warm. For Winnipeg that makes no sense from either a player or fans perspective.

So what you are saying is that the season ends too early. Okay, of course, I agree with that. But check what you originally wrote: "It starts too early for Winnipeg, and ends too late." Your typo confused me!

Archived