Canadians abroad: June 18-24, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Friday, June 18

8:00 PM on FSWC — Canada/United States: A-League

Virginia Beach vs. Milwaukee (Jim Larkin)

Saturday, June 19

8:30 PM on FSWC — United States: MLS

Chicago vs. San Jose (Dwayne de Rosario, Pat Onstad)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for June 18-24, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

quote:Who's jim larkin?

Jim Larkin is a keeper who has played for Toronto Lynx, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps. He was also on the Canadian Olympic team where he earned eight caps(1996 Olympic qualifyers). He had a couple of very good years with Montreal(he was named team MVP in 2000). I know he backed up Onstad on the World Cup team in the first few Holger Osiek games but he never earned an "A" cap(canadasoccer.com lists him as a backup in three games including the 1998 game against Macedonia and 1999 vs Saudi Arabia). He is currently with Milwaukee Wave United and also plays indoor soccer in the MISL.

Rob Friend rumours abound in Norway. Apparently Frank Yallop told Friend that he wants to see him play at a higher level than Norwegian First Division. Friend is having a good season at Moss and is generating interest from a number of clubs and countries and is considering a move. Friend states that he'll know by September.

It sounds like he's hoping Moss are promoted, or will have to move (the same situation as Bernier).

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

No, but I heard a rumor that Yallop told Fernando Aguiar he had a better chance of playing with the nats if he moved to the English 2nd division.

Is that the old non-existing English Second Division, or the new England League Two (the old Englsih Third Division)? Or, would The

Conference, First Divison, be good enough now?[:o)]

No, but I heard a rumor that Yallop told Fernando Aguiar he had a better chance of playing with the nats if he moved to the English 2nd division.

Is that the old non-existing English Second Division, or the new England League Two (the old Englsih Third Division)? Or, would The

Conference, First Divison, be good enough now?[:o)]

actually thats a miss-quote....I clearly heard "PDL":D

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Rob Friend rumours abound in Norway. Apparently Frank Yallop told Friend that he wants to see him play at a higher level than Norwegian First Division. Friend is having a good season at Moss and is generating interest from a number of clubs and countries and is considering a move. Friend states that he'll know by September.

It sounds like he's hoping Moss are promoted, or will have to move (the same situation as Bernier).

I think if Yallop really said this he's way off, considering who he has been calling up lately. As has been said in other posts here.

In any case Moss is well off the pace in their division and already are a long shot at regaining ground and promoting. The important thing though is that he has a decent career, gets some goals and improves as a player, and then can find a transfer up. No reason to push the guy with the WC carrot, create tensions between him and his club and get him going with false hopes, as it is too early for him yet.

Anyone hear what is going on with Jason Bent, any club rumours? This is one player who is without a team and since England is back into pre-season soon it would be good to know.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think if Yallop really said this he's way off, considering who he has been calling up lately. As has been said in other posts here.

I don't think it's way off. None of our current strikers (Radzinski, Derosario, Hume, McKenna, Occean) that have been called in the last few games would fall under Friend on the depth chart. It sounds like an honest answer, to an honest question.

Guest Jeffery S.

Occean scored the 1-1 and the 3-2 but Odd drew with Sogndal 4-4 in Norway top flight. No Reda for the visitors. They are 8 points back of league leaders Tromso (Harmse's team last year, saved from relegation on the last day) and three back of 2nd place Rosenborg.

In Div 1 (2nd tier) Rob Friend played 90 as Moss beat Kongsvinger 3-0 without his goals, they have another guy nailing quite a few. Bernier also played 90.

Haugesund lost 2-1 to Bryne with Kojic going the whole way and scoring the only goal for his side, and Pozniak with 90 but rated poorly by vg.no.

I see the Friend case this way: if Yallop said he was playing in a too low league so no matter how many goals he scored he would not be called that is one thing; it is quite another if he encouraged him to take a step up (and risk his current contract) so he could be called up, regardless of performance considerations. The way this was worded ("Yallop told Friend") doesn't sound like a positive way of going about things, apart from being contradictory as he has a teammate who just played for Canada.

I see the Friend case this way: if Yallop said he was playing in a too low league so no matter how many goals he scored he would not be called that is one thing; it is quite another if he encouraged him to take a step up (and risk his current contract) so he could be called up, regardless of performance considerations. The way this was worded ("Yallop told Friend") doesn't sound like a positive way of going about things, apart from being contradictory as he has a teammate who just played for Canada.

"Yallop told Friend" was not in quotations, nor did i say anything about "no matter how many goals he scored." I'm simply explaining the gist of the conversation and I don't think anyone in Canada is confused by this.

We all realize you want Yallop to fail miserably, but perhaps it's time to stop trying to create dissension where none exists.

Guest Jeffery S.

Get a grip Dwayne. Four other posters took a sarcastic take on your rumour before I put in my interpretation. Maybe I was not the only one to find it laughable on Yallop's part if true.

I mean what the hell does it matter if Friend is playing in a higher division if Yallop is showing right now that it means less to him for a call-up than other factors (witness Bernier). And if it is true it could be a negative thing for Friend to hear, as he'd have to go a long way -and will probably need a few years- to be scoring more a division higher than he is now.

By the way, the other striker at Moss, Sarkassian (sp?) is tearing things up for them, so if any is going to move on from there it is him. I wonder if maybe Rob is helping set things up or pressuring up high and opening up spaces due to his size, but that I cannot say for sure. Friend is just playing average on a mid-level 2nd tier team from what we can tell from game reports.

Get a grip Dwayne. Four other posters took a sarcastic take on your rumour before I put in my interpretation. Maybe I was not the only one to find it laughable on Yallop's part if true.

By the way, the other striker at Moss, Sarkassian (sp?) is tearing things up for them, so if any is going to move on from there it is him. I wonder if maybe Rob is helping set things up or pressuring up high and opening up spaces due to his size, but that I cannot say for sure. Friend is just playing average on a mid-level 2nd tier team from what we can tell from game reports.

Speaking of getting a grip, the sarcasm you speak of was obvioulsy in jest.

Can only one striker leave Moss !? The progess of other strikers at Moss has no baring on potential moves for Friend, who by all accounts is having a good season. Friend purposely did not sign a contract extension for just this reason.

This was posted by a Moss supporter:

Hjælmen

Friend ready to leave Moss FK!

In todays local newspaper, Rob tell us that he is ready to leave Moss if they don`t qualify for the Premier Div.

MR. Yallop also says that Rob has to play on a higher level, to get picked out to the Canadian National Squad!

Friend says that his future should be cleared before the end of September!

Clubs from Germany and Austria are interested in Mr. Friend!

His agent, Patrick Mörk says that Rob would fit in the English PL, but Rob does not have enough games for the Canadian National team to get "Work promision" in England. So it could be an Norwegian PL club or anything else than Norwegian 1. div!

Very short vacation for Nik Ledgerwood as he is back in Munich with the 1860 reserves. They were promoted to the Regional League South, after winning the Oberliga Bayern by a single point, over the reserves of 1. FC Nurnberg.

Also, with the excitement over our men's team making an appearance in our own country, I forgot to post that the Junioren Bundesliga season came to an end over the weekend of June 12/13. Dylan Hughes was in action for 1.FC Kaiserslautern in a loss to VfB Stuttgart. No sign of Jamie Peters. Jeremy Shepherd scored the first goal for Hertha Berlin in their last game, a 2-0 win over FV Dresden Nord.

Guest Jeffery S.

Norway Cup action tonight to go into quarter finals. Moss lost away to top flight side Staebak 3-1, Friend and Bernier went the whole way. By the way the hot striker at Moss (scored today) is named Sakariassen and not as I had spelled it Armenially earlier.

Haugesund only played Kojic for their Cup match, he went 90 but they fell to powerhouse Rosenborg 1-2 at home.

Archived