Euro 2004 - Germany-Netherlands + Czech-Latvia (R)

Canuck Oranje

Germany usually plays crappy and gets a lucky goal and win. Today the lucky goal did occur but they played great and completely dominated the game. Holland looked very poor particularly on defence and were lucky not to have anyone sent off for brutal tackles. Only a beautiful goal completely against the run of play saved them. The Czechs looked bad as well despite the win. Hopefully the level of play of this group will improve in the next round.

Saying the Germans dominated or looked good goes way to far. Other than Ballack and the kid they threw on at the end they have absolutely no offensive threat. The Dutch were by and large awful by anyones standards unable to complete even simple passes on numerous occasions yet the Germans still needed a fluke to score. All in all a very disappointing game when compared to the hype that preceded it.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Haven't watched the game yet but saw the goal Van Nistelroy scored in true Van Baston style.. to tie the game 1-1.

Nothing resolved in the Group of Death today..

This is the group of Death? How do you figure? Group A and C are clearly superior w/o debate! Group D is arguably the weakest.

Czechs: No depth

Dutch: No chemistry

Germans: Playing awful since the World Cup (where even then they didn't beat any quality opposition)

Latvia: Weakest side in the Euros, and only qualified cuz Sweden gave them 3 points in the last qualifying game (Swedes had already clinched first).

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Haven't watched the game yet but saw the goal Van Nistelroy scored in true Van Baston style.. to tie the game 1-1.

Nothing resolved in the Group of Death today..

This is the group of Death? How do you figure? Group A and C are clearly superior w/o debate! Group D is arguably the weakest.

Germans: Playing awful since the World Cup (where even then they didn't beat any quality opposition)

Latvia: Weakest side in the Euros, and only qualified cuz Sweden gave them 3 points in the last qualifying game (Swedes had already clinched first).

It's not my label..

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

The Czechs have no depth? The have four excellent forwars (Baros, Koller, Heinz and Lokvenc). In the midfield they have Nedved, Rosicky, Poborsky, Smicer, Galasek and Plasil. Granted, their defence is the weakest part of their game but they still have, Rozehnal, Ujfalusi, Jankulovski, and Grygera.

Every time I've seen Poborsky play since leaving Lazio (including against Italy in a friendly, in the Champions League, and now in Euro 2004) I've noticed that he hasn't lost a step (this despite going back to Sparta to "wind up" his career --- he doesn't seem to be winding up at all). Boy, I wish he hadn't left Lazio. :(

I'm pulling for Czech Republic... after Italy (even if I've developed mixed feelings about them over the last couple of years).

Archived