Kilmarnock may be intrested in Lars

jordan

Killie look to Srnicek

Monday, 14 June 2004

by Mark Buckingham

Kilmarnock have narrowed down their search for a new goalkeeper to four names, with veteran Czech Republic shot-stopper Pavel Srnicek a target.

The SPL side are eager to bring in a new keeper after releasing Francois Dubourdeau and Colin Meldrum at the end of the season.

Killie boss Jim Jefferies is weighing up a deal for Srnicek, who is available on a free transfer after leaving West Ham United.

Other options for Jefferies include Bradford keeper Alan Combe, Republic of Ireland international Nick Colgan and Canada international Lars Hirschfeld.

Jefferies is currently on holiday but the club are hoping to have new recruits at Rugby Park within the next fortnight.

"The manager is away on holiday at the moment but Jim is experienced and highly accomplished at tracking people," said the club's general manager Dave MacKinnon.

"It would be good to sign people in the next fortnight.

"The priority is a goalkeeper, maybe two depending on finances, and then we will be looking at a central defender and a defensive midfielder."

It's hard to say where he'll end up. On one hand there's this article pointing to the SPL, and then there's the first-hand accounts from Kingston that say he's bound for Belgium. I'd rate the top divisions in Scotland and Belgium about even, so either is okay in my book.

He just needs to get consistant first-team action. It's a pity that he couldn't latch on permanently with Gillingham as the English First Division is pretty solid play. Of course, they only narrowly avoided relegation, so the danger of going down with them appears present. He just needs a place to start week in and week out. Belgium or Scotland - I really don't care.

The next question is whether you rate Lars at a (presumably) mid-table Belgian or Scottish club over giving Kenny or Sutton a go at back-up. I'm interested to see Sutton start at least the Vancouver B-team friendlies. Onstad is proof-positive that even a not-so young A-league keeper can still have bright future ahead of him.

I'd rate belgium a bit higher simple because its more even....Celtic and Rangers maybe a tad above the top belgian teams but only barely.......but after the top 2 teams the league here in belgium is a little more competitive....its not the same 2 in the top 2 every year.

Here's another article

Mon 14 Jun 2004

Jeff keen to land Hibs keeper Nick

DAVID HARDIE

FORMER Hearts boss Jim Jefferies is on the trail of Hibs’ out-of-contract goalkeeper Nick Colgan.

Kilmarnock manager Jefferies has been on the look-out for a new No.1 after releasing both Francois Dubordeau and Colin Meldrum, insisting he has a "couple" of options."

Colgan didn’t play at all for Hibs last season and spent four months on loan with English Second Division outfit Stockport Country before returning to Easter Road where he continued to remain on the sidelines as Daniel Andersson played in every match.

However, the 30-year-old, regarded as one of the higher earners at Easter Road as theclub continues striving to drive down costs, will be out-of-contract at the end of this month and will then become a free agent.

Jefferies has also been linked with former Dundee United and current Bradford goalkeeper Alan Combe but he has been alerted to the availability of Colgan, who has gained eight caps with the Republic of Ireland, and preliminary talks are said to have taken place.

Former St Mirren star Combe is also available on a free transfer following Bradford’s relegation from the English First Division while Spurs Canadian internationalist Lars Hirschfeld and Newcastle’s Pavel Srnicek, capped 36 times for the Czech Republic are also on Jefferies’ list.

Jefferies said: "Combe is one of the keepers put to me. I have a couple of options and if he is available then I will consider it. Our two main priorities are a ‘keeper and a centre-half." Finding a replacement goalkeeper could quickly become the main priority of new Hibs boss Tony Mowbray with Swedish star Andersson also out-of-contract at the end of this month, leaving the Edinburgh club with only 18-year-old Alistair Brown on their books.

Meanwhile, a charity match between ex-Hibs players and a supporters side who paid £50 each for the privilege of facing their former heroes at Meadowbank raised more than £1200 in gate receipts alone.

A further £460 was raised for Children with Cancer and Leukaemia Advice and Support for Parents (CCLASP) with the auction of a signed CIS Insurance Cup final shirt and the figure was expected to climb even further as sponsorship money rolled in.

The match was staged in memory of 14-year-old Hibs fan David Alexander who died in February from leukaemia.

This article:

http://sport.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=674292004

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Then what is the latest scoop???? And what about Jason Bent??? Is he expected to play in Belgium too???

What do you mean? I talked to them after the Kingston game. I think thats recent enough. McKenna offered to try and get a try-out for Bent at Hearts if you read my post on the Canada-Beilze match thread.

celtic AND (grudgingly) rangers would definitely find playing anderlecht and brugge rather comfortable...what is said about the belgian league being more comptetitive may be true, but not when it comes to the old firm.

other than anderlecht's efforts in the champion's league 3/4 years ago, when radzinski and koller were a prolific partnership, neither of these clubs have made as much a mark on europe as the old firm have.

i think lars should go where he's going to get playing time. it would be better for his career to be facing the likes of hartson, sutton and prso week-in and week-out at killy and actually playing, then to sit on the bench for a couple of years again...a try-out at hearts would be ideal if he stuck with the club, would give him some relatively regular european experience to boot. that said, if he'll play in belgium, then that should be the spot.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Lars won't be heading to Kilmarnock after all

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/k/kilmarnock/3858287.stm

Kilmarnock land Combe

Combe joined Bradford from Dundee Utd last summer

Goalkeeper Alan Combe has become Kilmarnock's first summer signing on Friday after leaving Bradford City.

The 30-year-old penned a two-year deal at Rugby Park after his free transfer from cash-strapped Bradford.

Kilmarnock coach Jim Jefferies said: "We knew the situation at Bradford meant we had a chance of getting him.

"There were other goalkeepers I could have signed but Alan knows the Scottish game. I thought it best to go for our first choice."

Combe joined Bradford from Dundee United last summer but was frustrated by the relegated club's descent into administration.

He said: "I've had a few challenges in my career and I see this move to Kilmarnock as another one.

"The situation at my previous club has been well documented and I am pleased to be here."

Jefferies' priority had been to find an experienced goalkeeper for the new season after Francouis Dubourdeau and Colin Meldrum were not offered new contracts.

Not sure why that is seen as a negative comment, it's called being realistic.

He has no real top flight experience, his best opportunity to move up within England is to sign with a division 2 or 3 team.

He's not the second coming of the Messiah, he was a third string goalkeeper for a middle of the road premier team. There was little to no chance he'd ever start a game there.

Guys, I don't intend of coming here and bash Lars, but given the fact that he has not been active in the professional stage I do think he should be replaced by Kenny Stamatopoulos. I am already starting to become very fond of Kenny. Even some of my Swedish friends were surprised that Kenny was over-looked by Frank Yallop on the Canadian National team. Instead they invited Lars who has not played all through a season. My Swedish friends, who have scene Kenny play for ESK, are convinced that Kenny is a much better keeper than Lars. In fact, Kenny is the man that still keeps ESK competitive in Division 1.

Luis, thanks for the fascinating contribution from the Swedish supporters on how Lars rates. I value their views as highly as your own.

Archived