Going to Europe

loyola

I don't know if I can start a thread like that but I'll do it because I need help.

I,m planning to travel(with a friend of mine) around Europe this summer for 6 weeks and I would like to know if someone on this board knows a few website where I can find bus and train tickets price. We mainly want to go in Germany, Czech Repuplic, Slovakia, Poland, Austria and Hongria. So if you have any idea where I can find some info about bus or train travel and price let me know please.

Thank you very much

Loyola

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Any tips you can give here will be appreciated by me as well, as I am going to be spending a year in Europe, based in Holland, starting in August.

Alot of people in Amsterdam are messed up. Especially the municipal government there...but interesting city nonetheless.

Same thing in Poland. I believe it's even cheaper than in the former Czech Republic or Slovakia. Travel by train in Poland is handled by PKP, the Polish State Rail Company. Their website is at http://www.pkp.pl/en/indexen.html, on the website you can get all the information you need in english, including schedules, arrival and departure times, etc. Just like Sigma said, you still might need a Visa to enter Poland. It is joining the EU this year.

The only thing I suggest is trying to look NOT LIKE A TOURIST. That will make your trip more enjoyable. Places worth visiting are the old city of Krakow, the capital Warsaw and Gdansk.

Some sage advice from a world traveller.

Never try to speak the foreign languages you may hear. Talk as loud as possible in English and you'll always be understood. Just treat the locals like you would your 90 yr old deaf & daft grandad. Some examples:

WHERE DO I GET GASOLINE. YOU KNOW, GASOLINO!!!!

HAVE YOU GOT ANY T-SHIRTS WITH YOUR FUNNY FLAG ON THEM??

etc.

Bring a big wad of American bills. They always impress the locals. If they insist on local currency, LOUDLY tell them that you will only pay in US dollars. It always works. Eliminate all that time wasting currency exchange business.

HOW MUCH IS THAT IN AMERICAN MONEY???!!!!

They only say they speak English in the UK. You'll discover otherwise soon enough. Follow tips 1 & 2 above for courteous service.

The Europeans on the mainland are generally obnoxious and like to look threatening but they are totally gutless. Don't take any offensive gestures or language seriously. They all get punked out pretty quick at the sight of American currency.

I have heard marvelous things about Hongria. Enjoy.

Cheers.

Archived