Canadians abroad: March 26 - April 1, 2004

DJT

Schulz is a youngster who only became a starter in the new year. His promotion allows Stalteri to go back to his more familiar right side.

And to clarify, I too think that Stalteri's last two games were an improvement on his play at left back earlier in the season and do agree that I would like to see him play right back for Canada. The only other option in my books is Tam but I don't know what form he will be in come WCQ time.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Schulz is a youngster who only became a starter in the new year. His promotion allows Stalteri to go back to his more familiar right side.

And to clarify, I too think that Stalteri's last two games were an improvement on his play at left back earlier in the season and do agree that I would like to see him play right back for Canada. The only other option in my books is Tam but I don't know what form he will be in come WCQ time.

Thanks for the info re: Schulz. I do agree that Nsaliwa and Stalteri are the best two option at right back. I was partial to Nsaliwa myself, but your point about form is well made. Hopefully Nsaliwa can work his way out of the doghouse.

Sorry Ed & Gordon, do not mean to keep cutting in on your conversation, but the topic interests me and I am enjoying your posts. Before the break, Umit Davila, the Turkish International was starting at right back, pushing Stalteri to the left. Do you guys know if he is hurt or has he lost his spot to Schulz? By the way, I thought Davila was steady and looked better than Schulz (as Ed said a youngster they have high hopes for who was starting in the previous season but lost his spot) leading me to guess he is hurt.

Hey no problem. Davala is first choice at right back but is indeed injured since early in the month which led to Stalteri going to right back, etc.

I only saw the second half of the game but from what I saw I didn't think Stalteri was at his best. He was beaten a couple of times and the defence as a whole wasn't coherent. And Paul also had a couple of poor distributions from the back -- worrisome, from the national team POV. We could use some defenders who aren't, ahem, arse-splashers. :)

That said, they made it an exciting match and despite the poor call it was well worth watching. But while I would not trash Stalteri he looked better in the middle of the field moving up, and only good in his own half going backwards.

Aflame-ho!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Well I can tell you that Paul Stalteri definitely did not play in an offensive midfield position yesterday. He was playing right back although he did have a few good runs up the flank. The people at Sportsnet had him listed as a DEF/MID in the Soccercentral segment on the list of players called into the Manchester camp. Not so long ago, they would have had him listed as MID/FOR.

Actually all is not doom and gloom with Wigan. They haven;t been in first place since a month before Christmas actually but they were in 3rd and they can still be there because they have one game in hand.

However, having said that they have a tough April as mentioned before with fixtures against the likes of Norwich and Sunderland coming up. Also, assuming that Norwich and West Brom have a lock on 1st and 2nd, there is only 5 points separating 7 teams who are fighting for 4 playoff spots so there is going to be a lot of position changes in the weeks ahead.

Well I can tell you that Paul Stalteri definitely did not play in an offensive midfield position yesterday. He was playing right back although he did have a few good runs up the flank. The people at Sportsnet had him listed as a DEF/MID in the Soccercentral segment on the list of players called into the Manchester camp. Not so long ago, they would have had him listed as MID/FOR.

Actually all is not doom and gloom with Wigan. They haven;t been in first place since a month before Christmas actually but they were in 3rd and they can still be there because they have one game in hand.

However, having said that they have a tough April as mentioned before with fixtures against the likes of Norwich and Sunderland coming up. Also, assuming that Norwich and West Brom have a lock on 1st and 2nd, there is only 5 points separating 7 teams who are fighting for 4 playoff spots so there is going to be a lot of position changes in the weeks ahead.

Canadians in Italy - March 28

[*]Serie C1: Teramo (Rocco Placentino) 1-2 Fermana

Placentino started and was subbed out in the 65th minute. He left with Teramo leading 1-0, but they blew it and gave up two goals. He was given a rating of 6.

[*]Serie D: Isola Liri (David Masciantonio) 0-1 Nuova Avezzano

Masciantonio started and was subbed out in the 74th minute. He had an excellent chance to score but his shot was weak, allowing a defender to clear it off the line as it was rolling in.

[*]Promozione Puglia (7th tier): Lucera (Franco Lalli) 0-1 Castellaneta

I don't know whether Lalli played in/dressed for this match against Homer Simpson's namesake. For some reason full Lucera reports are not being provided as they were earlier in the season. I'll continue to follow Lucera but I might not always post reports if lineup info isn't given.

Archived