Canadians abroad: March 26 - April 1, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Friday, March 26

8:00 PM (tape-delayed from March 20) on FSWC — United States: MISL

Milwaukee (Semir Mesanovic, Giuliano Oliviero) vs. Dallas (Martin Dugas, Martin Nash)

Sunday, March 28

3:00 PM (tape-delayed from 10:30 AM) on FSWC — Germany: Bundesliga

Stuttgart vs. Werder Bremen (Paul Stalteri)

4:15 PM on ExpressVu 403 — Portugal: Super Liga

Benfica (Fernando Aguiar) vs. Alverca

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 26 - April 1, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Originally posted on the other forum by Ed - Mar 26, 2004, 10:48 AM</u>

Another huge game for Hannover 96 tomorrow as they host Borussia Dortmund. New coach Lienen has Julian de Guzman odd man out in the midfield so expect him on the bench in favour of a defensive midfield featuring Lala, Dabrowski and Jaime tomorrow. Lienen plays a 4-4-2, with Mathis the attacking mid behind two strikers.

Hannover remain in relegation territory and this game will not be easy (they were hammered 6-2 in the first round in Dortmund).

Paul Stalteri and Werder Bremen can start chilling the champagne if they can get a win in Stuttgart over VfB Stuttgart on Sunday (FSWC). They have an 11 point lead over Bayern Munich who host Borussia Moenchengladbach tomorrow with 9 games to go.

Tam Nsaliwa will likely not start as Jahn Regensburg visit Alemannia Aachen on Sunday in the Bundesliga 2.

Victor Oppong is back with the Saarbrucken reserve side in the Oberliga Southwest. They play SC Idar-Oberstein on Sunday.

The Junioren Bundesliga teams are off for a couple of weeks but 1860 Munich do have a make up game this weekend. No word on the status of Nik Ledgerwood with the club.

Iain Hume has started on the bench for Tranmere, but came on in the 65th minute and has promptly scored two goals (68, 73) to make it 4-0.

Radzinski scored for Everton in the 78th minute to put them up 1-0 over Middlesbrough, but the game is now tied in the 90th minute.

Here's a more comprehensive report on the Canadians in action.

In the EPL:

- Radzinski strikes in the 78th minute for Everton, but Joseph Desire Job (what a great name!) equalizes in the 83th minute for Middlesbrough in a 1-1 draw.

- Hirschfeld stayed on the bench for Tottenham who lost 1-0 away to Southampton.

In the Bundesliga:

- Julian de Guzman stayed on the bench in an important 1-1 draw for Hannover 96 against Borussia Dortmund.

- Stalteri and Werder Bremen play tomorrow. Bayern Munich were 5-2 winners in an attempt to stay in touch with the runaway league leaders.

In England Nationwide Division 1:

- Jim Brennan stayed on the bench for Norwich, who were 1-0 winners over Stoke, and look to be in good shape to promote next season.

- Paul Peschisolido played 90 minutes in a 2-1 loss away to Sunderland, without netting a goal.

- Jason De Vos played the full match for Wigan in a 1-1 draw at Watford, and had a hand (actually, a head) in the goal-scoring play.

In England Nationwide Division 2:

- Jason Bent and Marc Bircham were nowhere to be seen for Plymouth (0-0 draw) and QPR (1-1 draw) respectively.

- Mark Rogers, who is back at Wycombe, played 90 minutes for his team who won 3-2 at Oldham.

- Iain Hume had 2 goals in his first 9 minutes, entering as a substitute in the 65th minute of a 4-0 win for Tranmere over relegation candidates Notts County.

In England Nationwide Division 3:

- Terry Dunfield played the whole match for Bury in 3-1 loss against Boston Utd.

In the SPL:

- Kevin McKenna played the whole match and assisted on one of the goals in a 3-1 Hearts victory over Dundee. I'm not sure whether he played in defense or at striker.

- Rhian Dodds entered in the 16th minute for Kilmarnock who were 3-1 winners at home to Aberdeen.

In Scotland Division 2:

- Emilio Bottiglieri played the first 72 minutes of a 1-0 loss away to East Fife.

That's all I've got.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Kevin McKenna played the whole match and assisted on one of the goals in a 3-1 Hearts victory over Dundee. I'm not sure whether he played in defense or at striker.

According to the BBC site, McKenna was the player fouled resulting in penalty goal for Hearts.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

According to the BBC site, McKenna was the player fouled resulting in penalty goal for Hearts.

So he drew the PK, and drew an assist on the first goal:

Cross by Phil Stamp (Hearts), goal by Paul Hartley (Hearts) right-footed (bottom-left of goal) from right side of six-yard box (6 yards).Hearts 1-1 Dundee. Assist (header) by Kevin McKenna (Hearts) from left side of penalty area.

From at article at Roversrearguard.

"A cross was cleared into the air and Hume let it drop over his shoulder before rifling it into the top corner. The technique was simply breathtaking, I'm sure any other player on the pitch would have mis-hit it or put it into the top row of the Kop."

Bremen came out with a point from the match against 3rd place Stuttgart. The game ended at 4-4.

Bremen now has 62 points versus Bayern Munich's 53 points. Their next three encounters are against Freiburg, Frankfurt and Hannover which are relatively beatable teams and there are a total of 8 games left.

Originally posted on the other forum by Ed - Mar 28, 2004, 2:51 PM</u>

Paul Stalteri and Werder Bremen waged a see-saw battle with VfB Stuttgart this afternoon as Stuttgart held the league leaders to a 4-4 draw at Gottlieb-Daimler Stadium in Stuttgart. Bayern Munich, who beat Borussia Moenchengladbach 5-2 yesterdat (Owen Hargreaves scored his second of the season as he seems injury free for the time being) are now 9 points back of Bremen, with 8 games remaining in the season.

Julian de Guzman was forced to sit and watch yesterday as Hannover 96 got a break late in the game and Christiansen scored on a PK to give them a 1-1 draw at home against Borussia Dortmund. Hannover still sit in relegation territory but have a good chance to move up in the standings as they can take points from several clubs in the lower half of the table as the season winds down: 1.FC Koeln, Eintracht Frankfurt, 1860 Muenchen and VfL Wolfsburg.

Tam Nsaliwa did not see the field today as Jahn Regensburg dropped a 1-0 decision to Alemannia Aachen in the Bundesliga 2.

Victor Oppong was probably with the 1.FC Saarbrucken reserve team as they had their first win of the year in the Oberliga Southwest today, 4-2 over SC Idar Oberstein. He did not appear with the senior team

In a Junioren Bundesliga South-Southwest division game today, 1860 Muenchen drew FSV Mainz 05 0-0 and Nik Ledgerwood was finally back in action after a long injury layoff as he was subbed out after 86 minutes.

Guest Jeffery S.

Aguiar subbed on at that time in the win over Alverca.

Kevin de Serpa did not get off the bench but at least was on it as Penafiel beat Portimonense 3-0 to stay in the promotion spots in Portugal 2nd Div.

Ante Jazic was subbed out in the last minute as Rapid Vienna lost 2-1 to GAK in Austrian action, they remain in 3rd.

Daniel Imhof played 90 and was carded first half as St. Gallen fell 3-0 to Aarau in Swiss league play.

Second goal aginst Werder went right through the spot Stalteri was guarding in the wall. I am sure the keeper had a few words for Diesel afterwards!

Paul turned a bit on the shot. I don't blame him. His buddy in the wall (Krstajic?) totally bailed. That Bordon has a cannon for a left foot. Bordon's 3rd goal of the match was unreal.

I would say that if anyone is looking for entertaining soccer, you really couldn't do better than yesterday's game. Nine goals scored (7 of them legit - but 8 on the scoresheet), fans into the action, both teams going for it all 90 minutes.

Second goal aginst Werder went right through the spot Stalteri was guarding in the wall. I am sure the keeper had a few words for Diesel afterwards!

From the game stats that I read, it would appear that Stalteri played in offensive MF this time around. He is being used in alot of different roles in his pro carreer. For a nat team like canada where top tier calibre talent is relatively shallow, having this kind of player like Stalteri has to be a real big plus.

Incidently, I read somwhere that the German Cup final is on May 29th. I am concerned about it being a problem as far as Yallops preparations. I think that the Wales game is scheduled that week end as well. I also hope that Breman, who don't strike me as being in the same league as, say BM, when it comes to financial resources, can really add to their depth in the off season. If not, then Stalteri will face a really crowded match schedule next year with Champions league and all. What impact will this have on his availability for MNT duties and play in the hex should Canada go that far. Also what about the fatigue issue?

How quickly things can change. About two weeks ago, there were three canucks that were in a strong position to be promoted (along with their clubs) to the EPL. So we could have seen a total of 4 canucks in the EPL next year and hopefully 2 players in the Bundesliga. Then, Pesch gets sold to a bottom of the table club. Next, we hear that Brennan is in the doghouse at Norwich who are at the top of the table. Finally, when I checked the 1st div tables earlier, I noticed that Wigan ( DeVos) have slipped down to 7th. They were first a few weeks ago.

Well I can tell you that Paul Stalteri definitely did not play in an offensive midfield position yesterday. He was playing right back although he did have a few good runs up the flank. The people at Sportsnet had him listed as a DEF/MID in the Soccercentral segment on the list of players called into the Manchester camp. Not so long ago, they would have had him listed as MID/FOR.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well I can tell you that Paul Stalteri definitely did not play in an offensive midfield position yesterday. He was playing right back although he did have a few good runs up the flank. The people at Sportsnet had him listed as a DEF/MID in the Soccercentral segment on the list of players called into the Manchester camp. Not so long ago, they would have had him listed as MID/FOR.

BTW this is the report that I was allding to.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=147574&cc=5901

He is listed just before the names of Ailton and Klasnic. I guess that they ( soccernet.com) are not the most reliable.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

He definitely lined up in the backline. I would have said left off the top of my head, but it could have been right because I can't remember the orientation of the game on the telly (EDIT NOTE: have recalled and, not unexpectedly, Ed was correct indicating rightside). It was a very entertaining game for those who missed it. Werder's second goal was a mile off side: The kind of luck you get in championship seasons.

I would think that Werder will get a back for next season and move Stalteri to the midfield. Although he is doing reasonably well back there, I think the other three backs have much higher kicker ratings. Stalteri pushes forward quite well, and gets back in a hurry, but he does seem a little susceptible to being beaten off the dribble. Micoud is apparently leaving at the end of the season as well. Obviously Stalteri would not be a direct replacement for him, but I think they will be thin in the midfield none the less.

He was definitely playing at right back and has been for the last 3 weeks as Schultz is slotted in at left back. They play a back four of Stalteri, Ismael, Krstajic, and Schultz. Stalteri was in at left back for quite a spell earlier in the season. I thought his kicker rating was very low for that game for no apparent reason as he was quite effective covering in the middle , going forward, and apart from the wall incident was not at fault for the goals. I thought he was far more effective than Schultz and apparently Sport1 agrees with me as they have the back four rated (min 1 max 10) as Schultz (3.0), Krstajic (4.9), Ismael (6.7), Stalteri (6.0) as opposed to kicker's ratings (min 6, max 1) of Schultz (4), Krstajic (3), Ismael (3), Stalteri (4.5).

I have watched Bremen many times on FSWC this season (got it in the summer) and must say that the best two games I have seen Stalteri play have been the last two when he has played right back. The previous games he has filled the hole at left back and does not look as comfortable on that side, although he has been adequate there. He has been terrific the last two games. Personally, I like him there for our national squad as well.

Is Schultz new to the lineup? I recall looking at the cumulative kicker ratings 4 or 5 weeks ago and Werder had three defenders in the top 8, but Stalteri was a ways down from there. But he is a rightside player, so playing on the left would have contributed to that for sure. Aside from the wall incident, he was beaten twice near the box off the dribble - one time getting an earful from Listis (who was just as guilty). But he did get back and block one shot, and was involved in assisting in covering for Krstajic in the middle once when Kuryani (I think) broke through. 4.5 seems harsh, although the wall incident does merit some penalty.

Ed, when you were agreeing with Ivan, did that include Canada lining him up at right back?

Archived