Toronto Lynx PR: Ngon changes name to Gerba

Jarrek

TORONTO LYNX MEDIA RELEASE

Tuesday, March 16, 2004 (TORONTO, ON) - With goals always hard to come by for the Lynx last season, the club has added some offensive punch to their lineup in 2004 with the addition of Bermudian international striker, John Barry Nusum. Nusum spent the 2003 A-League season with the Atlanta Silverbacks, where he scored 7 goals and added an assist for 15 points in only 20 games. He made his A-League debut with Atlanta in 2002 recording 3 goals and 2 assists in 24 games. After a standout career at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina where he was named an All-American three times and is still the school’s all-time leader with 61 goals and 161 points, Nusum’s talent was recognized by MLS when he was selected by the Columbus Crew in the 2002 MLS draft.

Regarding his coming to Toronto, Nusum states, “This is a very good opportunity for me. There are a lot of new and exciting things going on with the club and I’m looking forward to being a part of it. Personally, I think that the change in scenery will be good for me and I hope to help the Lynx to the playoffs this season”. Nusum is also a key member of the Bermuda National Team as they begin qualifying for the 2006 World Cup, recording a hat trick in a recent victory over Montserrat in the First Round of the CONCACAF Qualifying. The Lynx are counting on Nusum to maintain this exceptional form into the A-League season. “John Barry is a major acquisition for us,” said Lynx Head Coach, Duncan Wilde. “Since our offense struggled last season, bringing in a goal scorer was one of our top priorities. John Barry Nusum’s size, speed and strength as well as his goal-scoring record will definitely bolster our attack and we are expecting a very productive year from him. Nusum’s combined talent with striker, Ali Ngon, will provide us with a winning force which we are certain will give Lynx fans added offensive excitement!”

WHAT’S IN A NAME?

The Lynx 2003 leader in goals and points, Ali Ngon, has legally changed his name to Ali Gerba. Gerba had 7 goals and 2 assists in 21 games with the Lynx last season before being dealt to the Montreal Impact at the A-League roster freeze deadline and re-signed with the Lynx earlier in the off-season. “It was my mom’s decision,” explains Gerba. “Ngon is my grandfather’s name. In Africa, children are named after their grandparents but my mom wanted me to have my parent’s name, Gerba. I want to assure my fans that my name change will not affect my on field performance, “he jokes. “ I’m in great shape and can’t wait to get the season started!” The Lynx kick off their official training camp on Tuesday, March 23rd at 10am at The Soccer Centre in Vaughan. Lynx players who are already in town are training at the Downsview Hangar while others are making their way to Toronto and beginning their physicals.

WHAT’S IN A NAME?

The Lynx 2003 leader in goals and points, Ali Ngon, has legally changed his name to Ali Gerbil. Gerbil had 7 goals and 2 assists in 21 games with the Lynx last season before being cleverly dealt to the Montreal Impact at the A-League roster freeze deadline and curiously re-signed with the Lynx earlier in the off-season. “It was my mom’s decision,” explains Gerbil. “Ngon was my cat’s name. In Montreal, children are often named after family pets. But, my mom wanted me to have my hamster’s name, which I had ironically named ‘Gerbil’. I want to assure my seven fans that the name change will not affect my on field performance or dinner table habits,“ he joked. “ I’m in great shape and can’t wait to get the season started! Duncan even let me use exclamation marks after all my sentences!!!” The Lynx kick off their official training camp on Tuesday, March 23rd at 10am at Dino’s Massage Parlour in Vaughan. Lynx players who are already in town are training at the Downsview Hangar while others are hitch-hiking their way to Toronto and beginning their physicals. “Rumours that British comic rap star Ali G and I are the same person are categorically false,” added the Lynx Striker.

From TorontoUltras.net

Silverbacks Star Signs

John Barry Nusum is signed, sealed and delivered, and more

The Toronto Lynx announced the latest addition to the striker corps with the signing of Bermudan international and former Atlanta Silverbacks standout John Barry Nusum. Known for his power, speed and finishing ability, Nusum seems to have the tools which will make him a success in Toronto.

After two years in Atlanta, Nusum was looking for a change of scenery, something he would find in Toronto. Already proven at the A-League level, Nusum scored seven goals for a very poor Atlanta Silverbacks team last year. Nusum is also highly experienced at the International level, being a regular with the Bermudan national team.

In other Lynx news, the mystery "from Europe" striker which the Lynx were tracking has been revealed. Igor Prostran, of Hamilton and formerly of Serbian top flight club FK Rad has been training with the Toronto Lynx. In addition, internet message board rumours seem to indicate that Tobagan keeper Richard Goddard has been offered a contract to play with the Lynx season this year.

Also notable in the world of the Lynx: Ali Ngon has changed his name to Ali Gerba for family reasons, and the Toronto Lynx season opening press conference occurs April 7th. TorontoUltras.net hopes to have a correspondant there to report on the event.

John Barry Nusum's Ultras Bio: http://www.torontoultras.net/players/nusum.html

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

WHAT’S IN A NAME?

The Lynx 2003 leader in goals and points, Ali Ngon, has legally changed his name to Ali Gerbil etc etc....

Someone trying out for the Northboys here?

:D

Allez les Rouges,

M@

With the addition on John Barry Nusum to go along with Ali the Lynx look pretty strong upfront. They still need to pick-up some wide players to go forward to help these two upfront. With the lose of Robbie and never really having an attacking minded left-sided player last year, this is again the Lynx biggest weakness. Hopefully Duncan can bring in some players to help fill the void.

quote:Originally posted by big fan

With the addition on John Barry Nusum to go along with Ali the Lynx look pretty strong upfront. They still need to pick-up some wide players to go forward to help these two upfront. With the lose of Robbie and never really having an attacking minded left-sided player last year, this is again the Lynx biggest weakness. Hopefully Duncan can bring in some players to help fill the void.

From what I gather, Kris O'Neil plays on the left and is expected to fill that role. But yeah, they need a replacement now for the right side. As for up front, its a nice pairing up front but I still think we need another one up there. I know very little about Igor, but Im hoping he can challenge the both of them up top. Some quality depth is important, especially with the back to back games that the team will have to play.

quote:Originally posted by big fan

from what i know about Igor, he is not a striker. He plays an attacking midfield position and is more likely to challenge Dave for his position.

Ah, well then, that makes the situation a lot more complicated up front. More the merrier in midfield though :) Any change that Igor can play on the right side? That still means the Lynx have to find a couple more strikers. If he can stay healthy, Elvis Thomas is definitely a good option. Maybe bring a CPSLer on board?

Looks like four of the foreign slots have been filled by the Lynx.. I wonder what it'll be used for :D

Archived