Iain Hume

superwhitearmy

Well there are two types of free kicks, the type you score on directly & the type where you put the ball on somebody's head or foot & they score. Mitchell was good at both & Gerry Gray also deserves a mention. There have been others worth mentioning in the other category like Mike Sweeney (though he nearly scored on a direct free kick on that Canada-Mexico match at Varsity in 1993), while players like Nash & Bircham have been half decent at the latter type of free kick as well (remember McKenna's goal against Germany) though not always as consistent as somebody like Mitchell was.

superwhitearmy, how has Hume done playing wide midfield cum winger?

In the times I've seen him play he has shown a willingness to take on players. As more of a wide player he could either cut in to take a shot or swerve wide and whip in an effective cross from the right flank. We really need that kind of dimension in attack. I know a number of people on this forum like Jason Bent on the wide right, and I think he does a workmanlike job, especially defensively, but I really don't think he can provide the offensive thrust which Hume can offer.

How about this offensive lineup: Radzinski and De Rosario as strikers (Pesch as sub), Staltieri as holding midfielder, De Guzman as playmaker, Hume as right midfield/winger, Brennan on the left?

When he first came into the side he was playing on the right, but I think he prefers playing central.

He tends to drift into the channels quite well and he and our right winger do a lot of damage to teams. Plus he has a great left foot so he can cut inside and unleash as Swansea and Bolton found out.

It's interesting to see your comments about free kicks as Iain never takes them for Tranmere, I only remember him taking one in a friendly against Preston. Yep he scored.

There's another youngster who takes them and to be honest he rarely misses the target although he's only scored one so far.

When he first came into the side he was playing on the right, but I think he prefers playing central.

He tends to drift into the channels quite well and he and our right winger do a lot of damage to teams. Plus he has a great left foot so he can cut inside and unleash as Swansea and Bolton found out.

It's interesting to see your comments about free kicks as Iain never takes them for Tranmere, I only remember him taking one in a friendly against Preston. Yep he scored.

There's another youngster who takes them and to be honest he rarely misses the target although he's only scored one so far.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think that one of Hume's greatest potential on the national team is his freekicks. We haven't had a decent freekick taker since (at least) 2000, when I started following. No more crappy Xausa ones!!!!

I am still wincing over how close he came in the World Youth Cup vs. Spain, just after scoring. That shot from the left, from a good 25 metres out, beat the wall and the keeper and his the post dead on, if Lemire had knocked in the rebound we would have had a good shot at semis.

To note: Hume really seems to do well with both feet from far out, which is quite rare. Most strikers can change feet in tight with certain effectivity, but it is not common that they are comfortable with whatever foot they are on from outside the box.

This may be looking too far into the future, but Victor Oppong's little brother is a really good free kick taker. At the national cup, he had developed a reputation such that as soon as he stood over the ball everyone in the stands was assuming it was going in. He scored on the only free kick I saw him take, but apparently was hitting them consistently all week.

I think Bircham provides a nice free kick, as does Nash, but neither are quite the shooting-on-target dead ball guys I'd love to see. Hume definitely is unique in that regard.

cheers,

matthew

Wow,I was just watching FSW top 10 goals of the week and theres not one but two Canadians featured.Humes left foot rocket made #3 although it was almost identical to Reyes #1 goal for Arsenal.Pesch came in at #9 with a beautifully anticipated header off a free kick.

Both Hume and Pesch were the only players from teams not in a Premiere div.

quote:Originally posted by superwhitearmy

There was me saying he didn't score tap ins and that's exactly what he did today.

How about a few words on Canada not making the WC in 2006?

Just this once?

P.S. If Hume's still in Tranmere come autumn I'll be in shock. Nice draw there for the Cup quarters. Ian'll get his chance to make your Liverpool minnows a few more pounds yet. Appearance fews and transfer payments!

Have to say well done out there. Hume's come along nicely thankyou, and that is sadly more than we can say for a few prospects we've sent overseas lately.

Lad seems to have picked up a few things over there, outside of football.

A Girlfriend. A kid. A queer sort of accent...

Hume's accent can best be described as a mix of scottish/candian and scouse that actually sounds Irish.

I'd be a bit shocked if any one came in for him as there's not a lot of money about outsied the Premier League and he probably hasn't scored enough goals to attract the big scouts.

If there's one thing that can get Tranmere fans annoyed it's being called a Liverpool team. Liverpool is over the water and there it can stay.

I suppose if I started calling you guys Yanks then you'd get the idea.

Archived