Adrian Cann goes 16th overall

Champs

Both drafted by Montreal Impact earlier for the 2004 season...

Can you explain what are the "obligations" of the MLS draft ? Is it like in the A-League (where the draft only gives a priority of 15 days to negociate between team and player) and where the drafted players often doesn't sign the contract in the team that draftes them. Or is it already sure they will play (Cann and Occean) for Colorado and NY/NJ next year ? Or something else.

Where do you follow the live draft (on cnnsi, it's delayed).

Thanks for all the answers :)

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Both drafted by Montreal Impact earlier for the 2004 season...

Can you explain what are the "obligations" of the MLS draft ? Is it like in the A-League (where the draft only gives a priority of 15 days to negociate between team and player) and where the drafted players often doesn't sign the contract in the team that draftes them. Or is it already sure they will play (Cann and Occean) for Colorado and NY/NJ next year ? Or something else.

Where do you follow the live draft (on cnnsi, it's delayed).

Thanks for all the answers :)

No, once and MLS team drafts a player they hold his rights for one season (if he isn't signed). Cann and Occean could still sign for Montreal, but they cannot sign with another MLS until the team that is holding their rights is compensated in some way.

What's the typical success ratio for 1st & 2nd round draft picks to making the MLS team they've been drafted by? Do most make it to the MLS? About half? Only a few?

I'm trying to put my mind as to whether any Canadians have been drafted higher in the MLS than Adrian Cann's 16th overall.

Cann shouldn't count against Colorado's roster limit (though no one seems certain of this) and since he was a top pick, I would say it's safe to say Cann will fight for a starting job in camp and should get some minutes this year. He addressed a big need for the Rapids.

With the small roster sizes, most top two round picks usually get a good crack and stick around for a year or two. As in any league a few will be total busts. Last year a lot of late picks had great years (jamil Walker for San Jose, the guy that started ahead of DeRo in MLS Cup was a really late pick) and last year was considered the best draft ever.

This year isn't supposed to be so deep, but some good guys dropped into the third round so I don't think it's that bad.

Occean was a shock apparently, but if the Metros were that high on him (and it sounds like no one else was going to jump up and take him) it must be for a reason. Brilliant wasn't on anyone's radar either I don't think. I think Pusek will have a good shot at cracking the Quakes lineup, esp if they lose Ekelund. I don't think he'll count as an SI either.

Draft day speculation is all good fun, but I think Cann's the only one that we can expect to start any games next year. I'm starting to think he could be useful for the U23s or even the seniors if he can win a starting job. Our depth in the middle of the defence is thin and an MLS starter has to have some quality.

cheers,

matthwe

Wasn't (Come on) Ali Ngon a first rounder of the late lamented Miami Fusion?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

What's the typical success ratio for 1st & 2nd round draft picks to making the MLS team they've been drafted by? Do most make it to the MLS? About half? Only a few?

I'm trying to put my mind as to whether any Canadians have been drafted higher in the MLS than Adrian Cann's 16th overall.

Ngon went in the 2nd round in 2001 and most of the others chosen in that 2nd round are playing in the MLS today, including Eddie Robinson (San Jose), Brian Ching (LA - now with San Jose), Rodrigo Faria (NY/NJ - now with San Jose), Devin Barclay (TB - San Jose - DC United)

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Cann shouldn't count against Colorado's roster limit (though no one seems certain of this) and since he was a top pick, I would say it's safe to say Cann will fight for a starting job in camp and should get some minutes this year. He addressed a big need for the Rapids.

With the small roster sizes, most top two round picks usually get a good crack and stick around for a year or two. As in any league a few will be total busts. Last year a lot of late picks had great years (jamil Walker for San Jose, the guy that started ahead of DeRo in MLS Cup was a really late pick) and last year was considered the best draft ever.

This year isn't supposed to be so deep, but some good guys dropped into the third round so I don't think it's that bad.

Occean was a shock apparently, but if the Metros were that high on him (and it sounds like no one else was going to jump up and take him) it must be for a reason. Brilliant wasn't on anyone's radar either I don't think. I think Pusek will have a good shot at cracking the Quakes lineup, esp if they lose Ekelund. I don't think he'll count as an SI either.

Draft day speculation is all good fun, but I think Cann's the only one that we can expect to start any games next year. I'm starting to think he could be useful for the U23s or even the seniors if he can win a starting job. Our depth in the middle of the defence is thin and an MLS starter has to have some quality.

cheers,

matthwe

The MLS website's story about the draft had the following key:

P-40 This one is for Americans. = Nike Project-40 Player (roster protected player; DOES NOT count against [a] a team’s 18-man senior roster limit or against team salary budget)

JI = Junior International (roster protected player 22 years old or younger; DOES NOT count against [a] a team’s 18-man senior roster limit or against team salary budget; COUNTS against League-wide 20-man youth international number)

TI = Transitional International (24 years of age or younger; COUNTS against [a] a team’s 18-man senior roster limit, against a team’s salary budget, and [c] against League-wide 20-man youth international number)

My guess is that Cann will be listed as a transitional international because he was born in 1980 and is currently 23 years old. However, I'd agree with Matthew that since Colorado recently dealt Robin Fraser, they likely are looking at Cann to fill a need in the back. With he and Nat Borchers, that would be two tall lads in the centre of defence.

Pusek is also 23 years old and moved to Canada from Croatia at age nine. He likely will be designated a TI as well. His bio on the MLS draft tracker says he represented Canada at the U-17 level.

Felix Brilliant (love the name) went to Franklin Pierce and was a Div. II All American as a Frosh.

http://www.fpc.edu/pages/Athletics/MensSoccer/Players/brillant.htm

Occean is no stranger but he was named All America for Div. II this year. Wasn't at MLS combine so must have impressed Metrostars coaches.

http://www.southernowls.com/TEAMS2/FALL/MSC/mschome.html

A sampling, but not complete list by any means, of noted Canucks:

Ali Ngon was drafted 18 overall by Miami in 2001.

Greg Sutton was taken 23 by Chicago in 99

Technically speaking Mark Watson was taken with the 11 pick by Washington in 1996.

Success ratio for first two rounds seems about 60-40 by simply scanning the names on the MLS website. Many are playing, others simply fill out rosters while plenty are good solid MLS players. Here's hoping for the Canadian boys (let's hope the international numbers don't hurt them).

PS. Let's do the Netherlands thing call them all up to the nats and cap-tie them (just in case [:P])

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

You'll most likely see all the first rounders get significant playing time with their clubs. Although this year's draft pales in comparison to last year's, so you might not see these rookies make such an impact as the ones last year. But who knows? Damani Ralph, last year's rookie of the year, wasn't selected until the 2nd or third round.

Great find Andrew, I never know what MLS does with TIs and JIs. Now I do.

I thought they'd gotten rid of Transitional Internationals two years ago. It's interesting to note that Colorado's Spencer and Zizi Roberts are both looking at getting their green cards, so if Cann can hang on for a year until he loses his TI status, they might have room for a Senior International anyway.

Colorado picked another good defensive prospect right after Cann, but I think you're right one or the other will pair with Borchers now that they sent Fraser to C'bus.

Occean is in the U23 pool and played against Honduras.

cheers,

matthew

Just to note what I believe has been suggested here or stated elsewhere, both Cann & Pusek are too old for the current U23 team (both born in 1980, same year as McKenna) which explains why we haven't seen them picked by Twamley (or even by Paul James for the 2001 Youth team), thus giving them perhaps a smaller profile in the Canadian scheme of things, until now.

Archived