Roster for Barbados match

Gian-Luca

Yallop injects youth into Canadian men's soccer team for Barbados match

SUNRISE, Fla. (CP) - Frank Yallop has added five members of the Olympic under-23 side to the Canadian men's soccer team roster for Sunday's exhibition game in Barbados, his first as Canada's World Cup coach.

Injuries and a small squad forced Yallop to bring in the Olympic reinforcements. Goalkeeper Pat Onstad (recovering from ankle surgery), midfielder Jeff Clarke (calf) and defender Carl Fletcher (hip) will remain in south Florida when the senior side flies to Bridgetown on Friday.

The under-23 players added were goalkeeper Andrew Olivieri, defenders Adam Braz and David Fronimadis, midfielder Josh Simpson and striker Rob Friend.

Simpson turned heads recently with a cracking goal for the under-20 side at the world youth championships in the United Arab Emirates.

The Canadian roster has a distinct Montreal flavour, with seven of the 17 players hailing from the A-League's Impact.

"The guys I brought in from the A-League, they're going to get a go," Yallop said Thursday of the Barbados game. "The Olympic guys might not start but they'll get minutes, I'm sure."

Yallop's talent pool at the Florida camp was primarily restricted to North American-based players. He elected to leave a dozen or so players based in Europe with their clubs, so he could call on them for more pressing assignments later on.

Because most of the North American players have been out of season for three or four months, injuries were expected at the Florida camp. Having a portion of the under-23 team on hand - the squad is preparing for the final round of Olympic qualifying in the region - provided some ready-made replacements.

"They're fit and ready to go," said Yallop.

Olympic coach Bruce Twamley brought his players to camp on Boxing Day, although like the senior side, he is missing European-based pros.

Barbados is ranked No. 111 in the world, to No. 87 for Canada.

Yallop is taking 17 players to Barbados, including veteran defender Mark Watson who has yet to train because of a groin injury. He may be healthy in time for Sunday's game.

It's expected either Watson or Nick Dasovic will captain the side. Should Watson play, he would earn his 70th cap for Canada.

Onstad's absence should mean a first cap for Montreal Impact goalkeeper Greg Sutton, named 'keeper of the year in the A-League last season.

Montreal's Gabe Gervais, the A-League's defender of the year, is also in line for a debut cap.

Yallop has had little time to put his stamp on a hybrid squad. He is missing key players and heads to the Caribbean with just four training sessions under his belt.

"I can't expect more than hard work and endeavour," he said of the limited preparations. "But these guys can play a bit."

MetroStars defender Edgar Bartolomeu, an Angola native awaiting Canadian citizenship, remains a no-show at camp because of visa red tape.

The Canadian team will return to Florida on Monday for the second half of Yallop's camp.

Canadian Roster:

Goalkeepers: Greg Sutton, Montreal Impact (A-League); Andrew Olivieri, Montreal Impact (A-League).

Defenders: Stathis Kapos, AEK Athens (Greece); Gabe Gervais (Montreal Impact); David Fronimadis, Montreal Impact (A-League); Adam Braz, Montreal Impact (A-League); Nevio Pizzolitto, Montreal Impact (A-League); Mark Watson, Charleston Battery (A-League).

Defenders-Midfielders: Nick Dasovic, Vancouver Whitecaps (A-League), Chris Pozniak (Orebro, Sweden).

Midfielders: Patrice Bernier, Moss FK (Norway); Martin Nash, Montreal Impact (A-League); Josh Simpson, University of Portland; Johnny Sulentic, Vancouver Whitecaps (A-League).

Strikers: Carlo Corazzin, Vancouver Whitecaps (A-League), Dwayne De Rosario, San Jose (MLS); Rob Friend, Moss FK (Norway).

Josh Simpson & Johnny Sulentic would also get their first senior caps if they play against the Barbadans, in addition to the others mentioned. I'm glad that Sutton is getting the start, in fact I would have preferred that Franks was called instead of Onstad so that he & Sutton could have split time in this match.

The defence looks pretty strong actually, I'd like to see us shut out Barbados. Half the team is from Montreal so they should all be used to playing with each other, which is non-typical familiarity bonus that we don't often see.

Interesting midfield, in that Bernier, Sulentic & Nash would all be considered primarily offensive-minded midfielders, and they could all be starting in this match. In fact with Simpson, Dasovic & Poz being the other candidates for midfield duty I'm expecting that those three will, with Nick likely providing the defensive cover (as central defensive mid isn't really Poz's position).

Possible line-up?

...............Sutton...............

.......Gervais......Braz...........

Kapos.....................Pizzolitto

.......Pozniak.....Dasovic........

Bernier.......................Nash

.....DeRosario......Corazzin......

subs: Olivieri, Watson (inj?), Fromniadis, Sulentic, Simpson, Friend

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Possible line-up?

.............Sutton...............

.......Gervais....Pizzolitto......

Kapos.......................Watson

.......Pozniak.....Dasovic........

Bernier.......................Nash

.....DeRosario......Corazzin......

subs: Olivieri, Braz, Fromniadis, Sulentic, Simpson, Friend

I would put Sulentic instead of Dasovic (we know him) and Friend instead of Corazzin (same reason).

7 players could get their first senior cap with that game, Sutton, Olivieri, Braz, Frominiadis, Sulentic, Simpson and Kappos.

Well health-wise Watson is doubtful as a starter to say the least (he hasn't trained yet), and since this is a chance to look at some other players I'd yank him right out of the starting line-up. Plus he's never played left-back and I think we really should let Kappos play on the right.

I'd go with a nearly-all Montreal defense, with Sutton in goal, and Braz, Gervais, Pizzolitto joined by Kapos at the back.

I'd be tempted to leave Dasovic & Corazzin out of the starting line-up and go with Poz, Bernier, Sulentic & Nash in midfield, with De Rosario & Friend up front. But I suspect that we will see Friend & Poz replaced in the starting line-up by the aforementioned eldsters.

1. I thought that Sulentic was an offensive right-winger. If so, he might be a sub for Bernier (who could move up front). Dasovic plays a much-needed defensive mid. role.

2. Pozniak is mainly a defenseman but with a shortfall, I moved him beside Dasovic (who will captain the side).

3. Yes, Watson is doubtful but I cannot think of any other wingbacks beyond Pozniak (midfield?), Kapos and Watson. Who else could play left-back? I thought that Braz, Pizzolitto and Gervais were too slow to play on the wing.

4. Corazzin/ Friend: Each might get a half.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

3. Yes, Watson is doubtful but I cannot think of any other wingbacks beyond Pozniak (midfield?), Kapos and Watson. Who else could play left-back? I thought that Braz, Pizzolitto and Gervais were too slow to play on the wing.

Well that's debatable, but all are quicker than Watson would be (especially a Watson that hasn't trained since the Finland match). Pizzolitto played on the left side of Holger's defense back in 1999 (though with 3, rather than 4 at the back) while Braz seems to have been used on the left side in Olympic qualifying. But actually Poz would be the logical choice if it weren't for the fact he might be needed in midfield. Watson I think would still be the last choice for left back in the defense, with Fletcher probably being a better option had he been healthy or Bartolemeu, if somebody could have given him a VISA.

Then there's young Frominadis to consider as well, I can't say I'm overly familiar with him.

Lineup guess:

----------------------Sutton

Kappos---Gervais---Pizolitto---Pozniak

---Bernier----------Dasovic----------Nash

------------------------Sulentic

------------DeRosario-----Corrazin

Based on the cpt comments, I think Dasovic will definitely start, but I think Watson will be a no go due to injuries. With Dassa at d-mid, I'm guess Pozzy goes leftback. Braz could easily fit into the back somewhere as well, but I think the seniors will get preference over the U23s.

What time does the game kick off? That Bajan radio station actually gets through my work filters, so I'm stoked for Sunday. I'm sure they won't broadcast it, just to annoy me, but I'm hopeful.

cheers,

matthew

Archived