Hume scores to put Tranmere past Bolton

Marc

Tranmere topple Trotters as Wolves pass Harriers test

Tranmere produced the shock of the night by beating Bolton in extra time of their Reebok replay, but Wolves saw off Kidderminster at Molineux.

Brian Little's Second Division Rovers reached the half-time interval all square, with Bolton ace Henrik Pedersen going closest in the opening period when he rattled the woodwork.

The game seemed to be heading for extra time as both teams struggled to make the breakthrough - but the visitors inched ahead with eight minutes remaining when Eugene Dadi prodded home Gareth Roberts' left-wing cross.

Just as Little and the travelling fans were starting to celebrate, Ricky Shakes scrambled home an equaliser in stoppage time to ensure another half-hour of action.

But Tranmere were not to be denied and booked a fourth-round clash with Luton when Ian Hume ran from the halfway line and rattled home a stunning 25-yard drive.

In the other game involving a top-flight side, two-goal Kenny Miller secured Wolves' progression and a fourth-round clash with West Ham after Kidderminster were beaten 2-0.

Kidderminster's most promising effort of the opening period fell to Graham Ward but the midfielder's low effort was marginally wide.

However, with 10 minutes to half-time Mark Kennedy's free-kick picked out Ioan Ganea at the far post. The Romanian headed back across goal where Miller redirected the ball past the wrong-footed Stuart Brock.

In the second half, Harriers threatened to get a foothold in the game but just as they looked like making the most of their possession Miller broke the underdogs' hearts with a fortuitous second.

His a cross from the right wing eluded Brock and - confirmed by the linesman - bounced over the line despite Craig Hinton's best efforts to clear.

LITTLE HAILS HUME WINNER

By Ken Gaunt, PA Sport

Tranmere manager Brian Little praised the fighting spirit of his side after they secured a place in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

A superb strike from Iain Hume in the first minute of extra time took them past Bolton in a replay at the Reebok Stadium.

The Premiership side had equalised in stoppage time through sub Ricky Shakes after Eugene Dadi opened the scoring.

Second Division Tranmere will now face league rivals Luton in the next round at Kenilworth Road.

Little said: "My players were a bit flat and a bit down after 90 minutes.

"They were tired and that goal from Bolton knocked the stuffing out of them.

"We just encouraged them as I felt we didn't deserve to lose the game.

"Then Iain popped up and scored a great goal. From then on we defended well.

"I thought Bolton were up for it. You could see that in their reaction when they equalised."

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce fielded a team of young kids, with the likes of Youri Djorkaeff, Ivan Campo and Kevin Davies given a rest.

He made no excuses for sending out a weakened side and admitted: "I know where our priorities lie and I am quite glad to be out of the competition.

"Having said that, I thought we did enough to win the game but in the end we paid the penalty.

"It was a wonderful goal that won it for Tranmere. We couldn't do much about that."

Way to go Iain! I love it.

I wonder if a certain family of expat Bolton fans living in Calgary appreciate the irony of a CANADIAN eliminating their team?

From the London Sun:

By DAVID FACEY

IAIN HUME floored Bolton with a stunning extra-time goal to earn Second Division Tranmere a fourth-round FA Cup trip to Luton.

This third-round tie would never have gone to a replay if Hume had converted a glorious chance near the end of the first match at Prenton Park.

But he made amends with a spectacular strike just 22 seconds into the first period of extra time, cutting in from the left wing and sending a 25-yard screamer past keeper Kevin Poole.

The striker identified the goal he scored to take Canada into the last eight of the Under-20s World Cup earlier this season as the best of his career — but he might think again after this effort.

His blast also provided the perfect tonic to a Tranmere side who had seen victory cruelly snatched away from them in the dying seconds of normal time.

It looked like the goal Eugene Dadi hooked home in the 82nd minute would settle the tie — until Bolton sub Ricky Shakes struck in the second minute of stoppage time.

His shot looked harmless enough but it took a wicked deflection to wrong-foot the helpless John Achterberg.

It was an equaliser Bolton did not deserve, either on the run of play or in view of the contempt they had for their opponents and the FA Cup itself.

Barely 6,000 Bolton fans bothered to turn up for this dreary affair.

They clearly sensed that Allardyce would again field a virtual reserve team with Premiership and the Carling Cup semi-final against Aston Villa taking priority.

Sure enough, midfielder Per Frandsen was the only survivor from the team that started Saturday’s 4-3 win at Blackburn.

The 2,700 Tranmere fans bumped the crowd up to a paltry 8,759 - and the stay-way fans clearly knew what they were doing.

Until the frantic finale this was a truly dire affair, lacking everything the cup is famous for.

The atmosphere was equally flat, despite the efforts of that large band of Tranmere fans.

Henrik Pedersen came closest to cutting through the swathe of apathy early on, as he sent a free-kick through the Tranmere defensive wall on to the far post deep in first-half stoppage time.

Danny Harrison twice blazed wide after good work by Dadi, while Pedersen had a couple of shots charged down by Graham Allen at the other end.

And when the ‘phoney war’ finally ended, it was Tranmere who deseverdly claimed the spoils.

DREAM TEAM STAR MAN

DAN LIVESEY (Bolton). Composed in defence.

SUN RATINGS

BOLTON: Poole 5, Barness 6, Livesey 8, Comyn-Platt 6, Smith 6, Giannakopoulos 5 (Shakes 6), Frandsen 6, Facey 5 (Taylor 5), Pedersen 6, Jardel 4 (Nolan 6), Vaz Te 5. Subs: Ricketts, Talbot. Booked: Taylor, Nolan.

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2004020953,00.html

Extra effort pays off for Hume

By Oliver Kay, The Times

Bolton Wanderers 1 Tranmere Rovers 2

(aet; 1-1 at 90 mins)

A SPECTACULAR goal by Ian Hume barely 25 seconds into extra time enhanced the reputation of Tranmere Rovers as serial giant-killers, but whether this could be described as an FA Cup shock is a different matter. Sam Allardyce, the Bolton Wanderers manager, had made clear with his selection that the competition was way down his list of priorities and, as much as Tranmere earned their fourth-round tie away to Luton Town, this supposed upset will not live long in the memory.

Brian Little, the Tranmere manager, suggested otherwise, but Allardyce’s post-match comments confirmed that the famed magic of the FA Cup was not in evidence here. “The bottom line is that I’m glad we are out,” he said. “We’ve got a Carling Cup semi (against Aston Villa) coming up and our squad can’t cope with being in three competitions.”

Allardyce made ten changes to the team that won away to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday and, of the senior players on display, none, least of all Mario Jardel, had the appetite for an FA Cup run. It was Ricky Shakes, one of Bolton’s youngsters, who forced the tie into extra time with a deflected goal in stoppage time, but Tranmere, having been so close to victory, took their prize thanks to Hume, their Canada Under-20 forward.

It was hardly a vintage night for the FA Cup, but Little will not care. The Nationwide League second division team, who beat Everton in a memorable Cup run three seasons ago, were well organised and they ended 82 minutes of stalemate when Eugene Dadi, their Ivory Coast forward, scrambled the ball home.

Bolton forced an extra half-hour when Shakes, a lively substitute, scored late on, but they had no answer to Hume’s winner, a delightful, curling shot from 30 yards that was worthy of winning any FA Cup tie, let alone this one.

BOLTON WANDERERS (4-1-4-1): K Poole — A Barness, D Livesey, C Comyn-Platt, J Smith — P Frandsen — D Facey (sub: C Taylor, 80min), S Giannakopoulos (sub: R Shakes, 86), R Vaz Te, H Pedersen — M Jardel (sub: K Nolan, 46). Substitutes not used: J Talbot, D Ricketts. Booked: Nolan, Taylor.

TRANMERE ROVERS (5-2-3): J Achterberg — R Taylor, I Sharps, G Allen, G Jones, G Roberts — M Mellon, D Harrison — I Hume (sub: A Navarro, 108), E Dadi, D Beresford (sub: A Hay, 98). Substitutes not used: S Connelly, R Howarth, P Linwood. Booked: Jones.

Referee: H Webb

Guest Jeffery S.

Short articles in Spain on this upset, with the daily Sport featuring comments on Hume. Bolton gets a bit more press here as they have two Spaniards now. Good to see he is becoming a known fact for fans beyond our reach.

Also note an error in that one article that comments on the goal that put Canada into the final 8 at the youth cup. Think they are referring to the goal scored vs. Spain in the quarter finals, as it was Josh's strike that took us past Burkina Faso.

The Canadian Press also did an article on this match which is posted on the other forum - the Toronto Star printed a truncated version of the article which mentioned that Hume scored the winner, but took out all references to the fact that he is Canadian & a local boy. The buggers!

The Canadian Press also did an article on this match which is posted on the other forum - the Toronto Star printed a truncated version of the article which mentioned that Hume scored the winner, but took out all references to the fact that he is Canadian & a local boy. The buggers!

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The Canadian Press article is just an altered version of the Associated Press article. I'm pretty sure the AP version was released first, and then the CP changed it to add more info about Hume. canoe.ca had the AP version up, but an hour later switched to the CP version. The Star was probably to lazy to change it.

Or deadlines were an issue. Or they were simply unaware of the change.

I would expect that it was ignorance rather than laziness that caused the oversight. It's not exactly the Star's top guns who cut and paste the wire stories - more likely a junior copy editor, in this case a junior copy editor that had no idea that Hume was Canadian. He/she was probably only aware that 'the soccer story' filled a three-inch space that needed filling.

Sent an e-mail of 'complaint' to the Toronto Star about their failure to identify Iain Hume as Canadian in the Tranmere-Bolton story and got a very quick response (less than 15 minutes) from their Sports Editor as follows:

"Thanks for your e-mail.

You are correct that we should have identified Iain Hume as a Brampton boy, something we have done on numerous occasions in the past, including during the FIFA under-20 championship.

We have well-qualified people on staff, including me, who are very familiar with soccer and the Canadians in Europe. Sometimes, though, in the flood of information that comes in over a short period of time, things are missed and this was one of those times.

By the way, I have seen the goal -- Fox Sportsworld Canada is excellent for seeing goals in European soccer -- and it was an excellent strike.

Thanks for writing.

Graham Parley

Sports Editor"

Archived