vancouver sss and home of nats

snake

I hardly read the Province....serves me right I guess. It wasn't in the Sun or Sportsnet.ca where I usually get my sports info. So I wouldn't say all the papers ;)

Plus I still wouldn't call it official either....it does sound more promising though than the Toronto bid.

"Canadian Soccer Association president Andy Sharpe said that getting a facility in Vancouver capable of holding international matches is on his agenda. There have been preliminarytalks involving the Vancouver Whitecaps and their owner, Greg Kerfoot, about such a venue."

quote:Originally posted by snake

click on www.canada.com than click the province and then sports.its in all todays papers.

Although I am not contrary to the idea of more soccer stadiums, I am sorry to dissapoint you, but what Sharpe is talking about is just what he would like to see. It is not a fact that there will be a stadium being built tomorrow or the day after. As far as sharing an office with the Whitecaps, that was to be expected. The west coast does have a climate that lends itself for more outdoor playtime. That is not new. Why do you think Pellerud announced several months ago he was relocating to Vancouver, it was not because Yallop may get the job or because Twamley and Bridge reside there. Toronto will still have the better games.

To say toronto will get the better games is not the case.The better games will go to what citys we go out and support it.Take the game in toronto this summer with scotland and a tba team if they get less then 20.000 that could all but kill any chance of toronto landing any big games in the future.The csa has said they have a real big

interst in having a couple of big games in ottawa in the near future as well as vancouver.So toronto could be left out in the cold.

The idea of a new stadium for soccer in Vancouver has been around for at least 10 years now.It wasn't until Greg Kerfoot bought the Whitecaps that the idea has begun to take on steam.I think Mr.Kerfoot would first want to see some progress made with his team.We didn't see much growth in support last year at Swangard despite his efforts.If Vancouver soccer fans expect anything being done with regards to building a new stadium they'll have to start filling Swangard first.To do that the team itself will have to improve on and off the field.

I believe that Greg Kerfoot will get it done one day but it could be a 5 to 10 year plan.

Question for the Vancouver folks - since this question has been debated ad naseum about Toronto lets try it for a different city - can I ask whether the people out there believe the crowds would improve substantially & automatically if the team got a new stadium & joined the MLS?

And how much is Seattle joining/not joining the MLS a factor in any decision Vancouver would make in also joining the MLS (assuming they'd be welcome there)?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Question for the Vancouver folks - since this question has been debated ad naseum about Toronto lets try it for a different city - can I ask whether the people out there believe the crowds would improve substantially & automatically if the team got a new stadium & joined the MLS?

And how much is Seattle joining/not joining the MLS a factor in any decision Vancouver would make in also joining the MLS (assuming they'd be welcome there)?

I think that we want what Toronto wants and that is to see top calibre players on our teams.We don't have them because we can't afford them.It seems that we see the same players year after year and that is not enough to generate more interest.If the quality of players and play improve and the team is successful on the pitch then

we can talk about a new stadium and MLS.I think we could do as well as many MLS teams at the gate with a new stadium but will it be good enough to avg.8 to 9 thousand per game in a 15000 seat stadium?The stadium itself would be more of a reason to go to the games for many people than watching minor North American soccer stars but that interest would not last very long.

Seattle and Vancouver in the MLS would be great but Vancouver doesn't neccessarily need Seattle to be there for us to feel we belong there.

Besides Seattle have a lot of work to do to even be a strong A-league club.Their support is awful.They have much the same problem Toronto has with regards to a proper facility.Seattle,Toronto,Vancouver would all benefit from a new facility but they would really have to be aggressive in their approach.They would all have to change they way they currently operate.

This discussion relates greatly to our national team.In fact any talk of a new stadium has to begin with our national team.They are the ones who need it more than the Whitecaps at this point in time.The national team with its players and the type of competitions they play in would be a much better draw than what the club teams are currently offering.

Archived