Fan590 reports Yallop deal done.

JayWay

ya, here it is on the CSA site

CSA to Announce New Head Coach

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association will hold a media conference at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, British Columbia on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 at 10:00 a.m. to announce the new head coach for the Men’s World Cup Team.

WHAT: Men’s World Cup Team head coach

WHEN: 10:00 a.m., Tuesday, December 16, 2003

WHERE: Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC

looks like a done deal.

An article from planet football/sky sports, I suspect written by Simon Fudge.

Yallop set for Canada post

Friday, 12 December 2003

Yallop: Set for homecoming.

Teams:

Canada

Frank Yallop looks set to be announced as the next Canadian national team manager on Tuesday, having described the major task that lies ahead of him.

The former Ipswich Town defender, who led the San Jose Earthquakes to their second Major Soccer League title in three seasons last month, has been in talks with the Canadian Soccer Association over the vacant managerial post.

On Friday, the CSA announced a press conference for Tuesday in Vancouver, British Columbia, to unveil Holger Osieck's replacement as manager following the German coach's decision to resign back in early September.

With the press conference already announced for next week, the former Canadian international revealed his 'honour' at becoming his country's next football manager.

"I've said all along it's a great honour to even get asked to do the job. So having said that, it's a big job ahead of me," Yallop told Vancouver sports radio station The Team 1040.

"It's something I've always wanted to do and it's something I've been pushing to try and do. It feels good at the moment."

Yallop added his hopes to turning around the fortunes of a Canadian side that has stuttered in recent times at the international level.

"What I've got to do is take what I did at San Jose to breed confidence in the guys," added Yallop. "And I think that's the main thing.

"As long as you're organized and you've got some good players - most countries do - it's how you implement it and make sure that they are put in positions to succeed, not out of position or struggling to play well for a team."

With Yallop set to be confirmed Canada boss on Tuesday, the ex-defender faces plenty of work before the North American nation take on minnows Belize in a two-leg second round Concacaf World Cup qualifier in June.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Another plus for Yallop is that while soccer in Canada operates in the shadow of major North American pro sports, recent history has shown that sports fans will pay attention if a Canadian soccer team does something noteworthy — witness the men's under-20 squad, women's under-19 side and 2000 Gold Cup champion squad.

That was from the article.

I know people took notice of the GC 2000, U19WWC 2002 and WWC 2003 teams, but I hardly think that there was even a similar effect with this year's U20 squad (off these boards).

A HUGE factor has to be the lack of TV coverage.

I'd be interested to know what the tv ratings for the Spain match were, especially given the less than 24 hours notice & the poor time-slot.

As for the Davidson article, its surprising once again that De Guzman is not specificially mentioned along with the other players as one of the potential pluses for this team, especially when he represents a possibility to be the creative midfielder that Davidson says we lack.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'd be interested to know what the tv ratings for the Spain match were, especially given the less than 24 hours notice & the poor time-slot.

As for the Davidson article, its surprising once again that De Guzman is not specificially mentioned along with the other players as one of the potential pluses for this team, especially when he represents a possibility to be the creative midfielder that Davidson says we lack.

Yes. Frank Yallop meet Julian DeGuzman, schemer.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yes. Frank Yallop meet Julian DeGuzman, schemer.

cheers,

matthew

Archived