Canadians abroad: December 12-18, 2003

DJT

Julian de Guzman is in action right now. Early in the game against VfL Bochum, he has had two chances, both great shots from more than 20m. Keeper couldn't hold the first and second was just over the bar. And as I post, he just set up Brdaric for the opening goal.

DeGuzman scores but the score is a 2-2 tie with 10 to go. In the other key match, Stuttgart is trailing Leverkusen. If Leverkusen wins, all three teams(Bayern, Stuttgart and Leverkusen) will be at 35 points 4 points behind Werder Bremen.

I'm sure there will be more of a report after the game, but going by the bundesliga.de ticker, Julian has been a big part of the action. He is the team leader in Torschüsse (which I take to mean shots at goal), and Ballkontakte (touches, or times in possession of the ball). Not to mention the goal, early shots that challenged the keeper, and setting up the first goal.

Dec 16

Mansfield Town 3 Wycombe Wanderers 2

FA Cup 2nd Round

Rogers plays 90 mins for Wycombe. Wanderers were leading 2:1 after scoring in the 56 and 59 mins. Mansfield draw level in the 72 min and then won the tie with a 90 min penalty

quote:Originally posted by thunderguy

Any news on Ryan Thompson ex of English 2nd division, ex of Hamilton Thunder now with Hadjuk Split in the Croatian top division?

I can't read Croatian and their web page doesn't seem to be up to date (other than a team photo).

Is he still there? Is he playing regularly?

Please see the interlink (http://www.hnkhajduk.hr/momcad/momcad.htm) which contains the listing of all the players of Hadjuk. It appears that Ryan is still on the squad. However, he has not played a game for the squad in nearly 2-months. Please see the other interlink. It contains everything of all the summaries of the games that have been played so far in Croatia (http://www.sportnet.hr/Stranica_v2.asp?S=raspored&SPORT=nogomet&C=20&N=1&L=1). Browsing through this site, I discovered that Thompson has not played a game for Hadjuk in the last 2 months. Here's another interlink from the Croatian national press that surely demonstrates that Thompson is still on the squad (http://sport.hrt.hr/htvsport/nogomet/2003_2004/hajduk.html)

The Thunder were going to play Hadjuk last year. I think the thunder asked ryan to see if he could set up a game. I know the thunder are trying to set up two games vs juv b and inter milan b team but i wonder if the teams they were going to play last year will come back Juventus Primavera- trying to get the game, W Connection- Trinidad- haven't heard anything and Hnk-Hajduck Spli-havent heard any thing.

Guest Jeffery S.

Tam Nsaliwa played 90 as Jahn Regensberg drew scoreless at home to Energie Cottbuss, the side is four points above relegation and Cottbuss is tied for leadership of the division just 9 points above them: a very tight 2nd Bundesliga this year.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar played the whole match in a tough Portugal Cup tie away to Academica de Coimbra on Wednesday, as Benfica scored just one to go through to the final 16. The team suffered in the end and had Simao double yellow carded in extra time against the fellow 1st division team.

Good to see that Fernando is relied upon in the tough matches where those getting subbed out are others. Also good to see Benfica alive in three competitions, Cup, League and UEFA.

Archived