CPSL Drops Wizards & Flames

L.T.

http://www.ontariosoccerweb.com/articles.php?id=918

CPSL Drops Wizards & Flames

December 3, 2003

(CPSL) - Ottawa Wizards, CPSL champions in 2002, and Durham Flames, one of the league’s founding members, will no longer play in the Canadian Professional Soccer League.

That’s the decision of the CPSL’s board of directors following a meeting Monday night to consider a series of missed deadlines for payment of membership fees. The board ruled the franchises of these two teams are revoked.

Ottawa Wizards joined Canada’s only complete professional soccer league in 2001 and made an immediate impact on the field by winning the league title that year, went on to win the newly-formed Eastern Conference and the overall championship in 2002. They won the Eastern Conference in the season just ended.

But the season was punctuated with objections and disagreements on league policy in the way the competition was structured, resulting in a series of confrontations including a failed application by the Wizards for a court injunction to prevent the final weekend of the popular Open Canada Cup being played.

Durham Flames has been a popular draw since its inaugural 1998 year under the name of Oshawa Flames but the team based at the Civic Stadium in that city struggled most of last season with just a single win in 19 regular league games played. There was one bright moment in the team’s performance during the Open Canada Cup, reaching the Cup Final weekend before losing to London City in a wild card game on August 29.

Vincent Ursini, president of the CPSL, expressed disappointment that the board had to make decisions that he described as being the most difficult since the league launched six years ago. “Losing two teams is regrettable, however I’m satisfied we have provided every possible opportunity for the two teams to comply. We must consider all teams and the league as a whole and look ahead, especially in making a fresh start in the two territories no longer occupied,” he said in making an announcement this morning.

The CPSL is Second Division soccer in Canada expanding in Ontario and Quebec with plans to eventually branch out on a regional basis to other parts of the country.

Without Ottawa and Durham there are 11 teams and additional entries under consideration for the 2004 season which is expected to kickoff late May.

Can anyone comment on the rumours that the Wizards wouldn't have had enough players to field a team next year (i.e. that their 'internationals' weren't returning) ?

Maybe Omur knew they were toast so he forced the CPSL's hand by not paying his dues?

I know that some of his key guys have been linked with the new Edmonton franchise, and that a couple of those guys are waiting on citizenship.

That is indeed interesting speculation on the late payment strategy. However, why would Mr. Sezerman try and schedule friendlies against a-league teams if he didn't have a team?

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

First they did have players that was not a issue it was the cpsl that was the issue.

"The CPSL...was the issue" - well that clears it up for me!

Some might consider that a very subjective argument ;)

I think its fair to say that its not completely one sides' fault or the other.

That is to say that the CPSL and Mr. Sezerman have taken steps contrary to the smooth running of that league.

It all comes down to each side looking after individual interests first, then about the well being of the league.

The league can't be expected to be taken seriously by all participants if control rests in the hands of a few owners, However the Ottawa Wizards owner can't expect to get exactly what he wants on all occasions simply because he fields a strong team.

I think that the CPSL might be lacking the legal precedence to unilatterally boot two teams from what claims to be a league representing Canada. Unless, of course, they claim to be a private organization. That will be difficult though, considering they got a grant from the government last year.

Archived