Is De Rosario leaving San Jose????

fza

Dwayne making the EPL? As a starter? I'll have to give that a think.

Would have said it's probably time Mr. De Rosario tried his ambition and skills and went overseas if he hadn't missed what seemed like the entire 2003 season. As it is, he might be more up to the challenge from having missed so much playing time. What do they say? Absence makes the strong play harder.

And wouldn't that just be a kick? Donovan holding tightly to his MLS security blanket and De Rosario earning his stripes in the competition and politics of English football.

Go for it, Dwayne!

Hi,

I do believe that Nottingham Forrest offered him a tryout last year, which made his knee injury all the more painful.

As for him playing in the EPL, maybe. I think with the kind of service one gets in the EPL he may do alright.

Paul

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Hi,

I do believe that Nottingham Forrest offered him a tryout last year, which made his knee injury all the more painful.

As for him playing in the EPL, maybe. I think with the kind of service one gets in the EPL he may do alright.

Paul

Yes, it was Forest, and his Gold Cup injury skuttled that. I don't think he is EPL material right now, May never be. First Division is about right. His speed would make him useful, but I wonder if he would be a regular starter.

Guest Georgio

Honest question Gordon,

What makes you think that Dero would not be a quality striker in the EPL if given a chance? In all the games I've seen him play, he has impressed me tremendously as someone who can score and setup goals and he was often coming on as a sub. It is hard to tell with him not playing much this year but when he did .. something happened, for our Nats and for San Jose. The goals and assists I watched on television were world class. I for one would not count him out as a possible 8 goal a season EPL Striker. Here is what he did in a season that he missed a majority of due to an knee ligament injury that a lot of players never fully recover from:

POINTS PER GAME

PLAYER TEAM GP GOALS ASTS PTS AVG

Taylor Twellman NE 22 15 4 34 1.55

Preki KC 30 12 17 41 1.37

Landon Donovan SJ 22 12 6 30 1.36

Carlos Ruiz LA 26 15 5 35 1.35

Ante Razov CHI 26 14 6 34 1.31

John Spencer COL 27 14 5 33 1.22

Edson Buddle CLB 21 10 4 24 1.14

Brian McBride CLB 24 12 3 27 1.13

Damani Ralph CHI 25 11 6 28 1.12

Dwayne De Rosario SJ 11 4 3 11 1.00

I think he can do anything Brian McBride can do - particularly when he has fully matured as a striker with age and playing experience like McBride has. He has all the elements of a great play making striker though.

I am just curious as to what you think Dero is missing in his game. And I would never question whether he could even be a starter in the English First Div - that seems way off to me.

P.S. I mention McBride because of his spell at Everton.

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

Honest question Gordon,

What makes you think that Dero would not be a quality striker in the EPL if given a chance?

Hey Georgio. My thoughts are based on his tendency to over dribble the the ball and, for all of the good plays he makes, I think he makes a lot of questionable decisions as well. He has yet to score a "batchful" in any league, and I wonder about how consistent a finisher he is. He had 4 goals in 11 games last year, but three of them came in one game. Finally, and injuries have played a big part this year, he has yet to start a full season for San Jose, which is not EPL quality, and in my opinion, lower first division equivalent. Finally, I don't see him making a lot of the runs onto through balls - although perhaps he does this more than he shows with Canada and the few San Jose games that are televised. He has most of the tools, but he lacks the consistency. He may develop further, and his speed is an asset.

quote:

Yes, it was Forest, and his Gold Cup injury skuttled that. I don't think he is EPL material right now, May never be. First Division is about right. His speed would make him useful, but I wonder if he would be a regular starter.

I think he actually suffered the injury in the national team's training camp just before the US friendly last January, not the Gold Cup.

I think that the adjustment from MLS to any of the stronger European leagues would be more mental than physical - the pace of the game is faster over there so you need to be able to read the game better and make quicker decisions than you do in MLS. I think DeRosario has awesome talent but he would do well not to try to jump too high too fast. If he's ever going to play in the EPL or Seria A, he should first look for a stepping stone in a league like the English First Division, or top-flight club in a mid-level league like Belgium or the Netherlands, so he can adjust to the faster pace of the game over there.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

I think he actually suffered the injury in the national team's training camp just before the US friendly last January, not the Gold Cup.

Yep, Mike's right; the injury was during training before the friendly

vs. the U.S. (4-0 loss). He furthermore missed the Germany friendly,

after doing well in the Scotland friendly.

My question is, doesn't Dwayne have to deal with the non-EU/UK paperwork

as well? EPL should be good, but don't forget that he is a much

mature and seasoned player than when he went on a Euro tryout in the

late 90s. He could do well, given the chance.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Yes you are right. I was thinking it was Gold Cup because of the January date, but that was in January of 2002. My Bad.

Archived