Looking more like Yallop everyday

Gian-Luca

Frank Yallop says 'it feels good' he could be new coach of men's soccer team

VANCOUVER (CP) - Frank Yallop, who has coached the San Jose Earthquakes to two MLS championships in three years, says he would relish the job of taking over the Canadian men's soccer team.

"I'm talking to them at the moment," Yallop told Vancouver radio station MOJO. "We expect to get a decision from me in the next two weeks. "I said before it would be flattering to get the job but I've got to make sure it is exactly what I want to do and it is the right thing at this time in my career. I feel it is but I have to make sure."

The national men's team has been looking for a coach since German Holger Osieck announced his retirement in the fall. Osieck, who coached the team for five years, said he was leaving for personal reasons.

The Earthquakes beat the Chicago Fire 4-2 on Sunday to win the Major League Soccer title.

Yallop, 39, a former Canadian international, is seen as a future coaching star. He already made his mark in San Jose, taking the Earthquakes from the MLS basement to a championship in 2001.

Yallop said he has given the Canadian head job some careful consideration.

"I've thought about it, I want to do it," he said. "It feels pretty good right now.

"I have to make the right decision for myself and the Canadians have to make the right decision for them. It's a big deal, a huge job, something I would relish if I got it."

If it is to be Yallop, as expected, we can start guessing as to who his assistant might be; Miller (already with team), Dasovic, Twamley, Mitchell, other...?

My vote would be to keep Miller on for an initial tranfer period but hire Mitchell as his assistant to add some offensive perspective to the coaching staff. I like the way Dale is handling the U-20 suad.

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

Ray Hudson was sacked last night. Yallop is mentioned in the article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26029-2003Dec1.html

I don't doubt the MLS would be glad to keep him, and the lure of coaching Adu might be attractive, but I have to think it would be a fall back position if he can't get a deal that he likes with the CSA. I think Yallop is smart enough to get the guarantees he will need from the CSA in order to make WC qualification a possibility or he will simply refuse the job. This would include a minimum number of pre-qualifying games, $$$ for a national team camp or two and, of course, a decent wage. So while I think the job (Canada) is his if he wants, I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that he will take it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hey, that article is written by our old friend Simon Fudge. Well done Simon!

Good catch Gian-luca, I didn't even notice. I completely forgot about that guy. Nice to see he's still in England and still writing. Good QC lad that he is.

cheers,

matthew

The CSA must have a big dilemma now with the excellent results that Dale Mitchel is getting in th U20 WC. With possibly more to come as yet. I always thought they were originally inclined towards Mitchel and I was surprised to realize that Yallop seems to be at the top of their list now, judging from the word on the street. It will be a tough decision.

Quakes' coach near decision on his future

By Dylan Hernandez

Mercury News

Getty Images

Landon Donovan embraces coach Frank Yallop after the Earthquakes defeated the Chicago Fire 4-2 in the MLS Cup Nov. 23, 2003.

Negotiations that could make Frank Yallop the coach of the Canadian national soccer team are entering their latter stages, the Earthquakes coach said Tuesday.

Yallop will announce next week whether he intends to stay in San Jose or take the job in Canada.

The Quakes are preparing themselves for the potential loss of a coach who has led them to two MLS Cups in his three-year tenure. General Manager Johnny Moore has spoken to assistant coach Dominic Kinnear about taking over the position. If Yallop leaves, Moore said he would interview other candidates.

The Quakes gave Yallop permission to speak to the Canadian Soccer Association shortly after they won the MLS Cup on Nov. 23. Moore said that if the Canadians lure Yallop away from San Jose, they would compensate the Quakes. Yallop has two years left on his contract.

Yallop, 39, has a 41-25-17 regular-season record as Quakes coach. He made 52 appearances with the Canadian national team as a player.

In other soccer news:

• Spartan Stadium will host two InterLiga matches Jan. 6, with Club America facing Atlante at 7 p.m. and Atlas taking on Tigres at 9:30. InterLiga is a tournament that will decide Mexico's two automatic qualifiers to Copa Libertadores, an event to decide the best club in South America and Mexico. The eight-team InterLiga will be played over seven doubleheaders in San Jose, Carson, Stockton, Houston and Dallas.

• The Women's United Soccer Association, which folded after the 2003 season, plans to make an announcement Monday about its current state and its plans.

Archived