Scotland Wants to play Canada

hamiltonfan

Post on the other board

Sunday Herald: Scotland Wants Canada

Football: By Michael Grant

BERTI Vogts will start next year’s World Cup qualifying campaign by remaining loyal to the Scotland team humiliated in Holland.

Only three or four new faces will be phased into the squad during the series of friendlies which will precede the next competitive tie in September. The players who were buried under six goals in Amsterdam will be resurrected in Vogts’ attempt to return to Germany for the 2006 World Cup finals.

Paul Lambert, who has retired from international football, is the only definite departure at the end of the Euro 2004 campaign despite the storm of criticism which descended on goalkeeper Rab Douglas and defenders Steven Pressley and Lee Wilkie after Wednesday’s 6-0 defeat, Scotland’s heaviest since 1961.

At Hampden on Friday, when he reflected on the Amsterdam apocalypse for the first time, Vogts was unsurprisingly keen to look to the future. “That’s what we need to aim for, not these questions about blame, blame, blame. It wasn’t about Lee or Steven or Rab, the whole team didn’t defend well enough for this standard. I don’t look to blame any one player. But the free-kicks were a nice present from us to the Dutch.

“On Wednesday we had the best Scottish players out on the pitch. What can I do with the goalkeeper? We have young goalkeepers, but they are not playing enough for their clubs. Every Monday I sit in my office and go through the lists of who played over the weekend. I told Rab: ‘Please, you must play for your club’. At the moment Rab is the clear No 1 for Scotland.” Don Hutchison is the most likely to join Lambert in having played his last match for Scotland. Vogts was conspicuously vague when asked whether the West Ham forward, troubled by injury and at 32 the oldest member of the squad, may follow Lambert out. “I can’t tell you now,” he said. “I must accept it with Paul. He will be 35 at the start of the next qualifiers and we need young, fresh blood.”

Others who appear vulnerable – Graham Alexander and Paul Devlin will be 34 by the time of the 2006 finals and Colin Cameron and Paul Dickov 33 – may benefit from Vogts’ horses-for-courses selection policy during the qualifiers. “If they are fit enough maybe I can look at them for one or two matches.”

The manager will attend the draw in Frankfurt on December 5 and meantime continues preparatory work on next year’s friendlies. Scotland may finalise a match in Greece on February 17 or 18, probably a home game on March 30 or 31, and then play Denmark in Copenhagen on April 28. Vogts also wants a three-game tour of America at the end of May with potential matches against the US, Canada and Mexico.

“My squad is young enough. Now the boys need experience. This is a good group of players and maybe three or four others can come in from the under-21s.” Hibs’ Ian Murray and Celtic centre-half John Kennedy – if the 20-year-old breaks into the Parkhead first team – have been identified as frontrunners for promotion along with Motherwell’s Stephen Pearson.

Vogts also intends to stage three or four Future Team matches. Every additional fixture eats into the SFA’s budget, but the manager is vociferous about investing in improving the national side.

“We have to invest more money on the youths,” he said. Vogts suspects that clubs still prefer to spend on foreign players rather than help develop Scottish talent.

“The clubs are only looking for their own targets. Why do we give so much money to the clubs for youth development? I need the money for my team. We have to invest only in Scottish players. It’s like building a house from the foundations.”

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

And I suppose the CSA might get involved at some point too.

Someone remind them to check the toner in their fax machine.

Actually, I believe that the CSA relies upon a telegraph machine.

(I've been in hibernation from this board for a bit, but this was too funny of a post to pass up).

And I'm sure the CSA will figure out a way to screw things up (maybe we could play the Scots in Mexico...).

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

(I've been in hibernation from this board for a bit, but this was too funny of a post to pass up).

And I'm sure the CSA will figure out a way to screw things up (maybe we could play the Scots in Mexico)...

The concept of us playing a game against Scotland in Mexico is too scary to contemplate -- I'm afraid to laugh...

But anyhow, we're all agreed, a new tape for the CSA ticker and a fresh blanket for the smoke signals.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

And I'm sure the CSA will figure out a way to screw things up (maybe we could play the Scots in Mexico)...

The concept of us playing a game against Scotland in Mexico is too scary to contemplate -- I'm afraid to laugh...

But anyhow, we're all agreed, a new tape for the CSA ticker and a fresh blanket for the smoke signals.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Three years ago it was the exact opposite on here. Everyone complained that we only played the same old middle of the road CONCACAF nations, and that we would never progress if we didn't try our luck with tougher European nations.

The CSA can't win either way.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Three years ago it was the exact opposite on here. Everyone complained that we only played the same old middle of the road CONCACAF nations, and that we would never progress if we didn't try our luck with tougher European nations.

The CSA can't win either way.

Well the CSA can win, just not with people on this board :D

I agree that we need to play the best to get better. I also acknowledge that we need to play CONCACAF teams in order to know them better.

Perhaps a more even-handed approach to our schedule is in order, now that we've proven that we can get top European teams to play us.

Note to Northstar and the Finnish Fools: I wasn't talking about Finland when I said "top European teams". ;)

i think it's great. playing the scots and germans etc is fantastic. it raises our profile and it shows the world that canada does try to play rather than just sit and defend. we have invention going forward and speed. (especially with hume etc).

but ya, we need to play some more spanish-type sides. maybe we should get a match with the catalonian national team! why not???? given, we do play our concacaf neighbours at the gold cup and in gold cup qualifying (which i'm sure we'll have to qualify for). we also play them consistently with our u20's and u23's.

i think 1, or 2 friendlies a year against our neighbours is enough. play the stronger euro sides and you'll see the nation improve. sooner than later we'll also see these nations impressed with some of our players and start offering them contracts.

It would be interesting to see Scotland, Mexico, USA and CANADA play a 4 team round robin tournament. As long as every team brings their best players. This would definitely be excellent preparation for the up coming WCQ.

Archived