Canda vs Jamaica, who is better?

Montry

Would be an excellent friendly, either in Feb to April in Europe (where many of Jamaica's players also are- it would sel-out in London for sure)) or early June in Canada. We cannot meet Jamaica in first round in June, but will probably meet

a lesser Carribean nation (unless it's Cuba or Haiti), and Jamaica would play a similiar yet more competitive style.

Canada has always underperformed. Despite going to WC1998 and being in the 2001 Hex, Jamaica has struggled a lot compared to Honduras & Costa Rica.

Head-to-head, the last few matches favour Jamaica. In light of Gold Cup performance and player pool, I'd say Canada. Since we underperformed and the FIFA rankings will reflect this, I'd expect most to pick Jamaica.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Right now Jamaica is the better side. Canada may look better on paper, but team's results measure their quality.

I am curious as to which results Jamica has achieved that have impressed you? A "quality" win over Nigeria at home, and a defeat of Paraguay are the only two results with any substance on Jamiaca's blotter. I suppose you could be impressed with the loss to Brazil, but losses are losses, IMHO. I do note that a loss to Cuba by Canada triggered much anger and recriminations in Canada, a players revolt, and the eventual resignation of the National team coach. 2 losses and a tie to Cuba didn't seem to have the same effect in Jamaica this year. Nor did a loss to Barbados. Jamaica has played more, and been fortunate to have a close semblance to their preferred side in 2003, unlike Canada. Consequently, they have two "quality" wins to Canada's one (Costa Rica) but really there doesn't seem much to choose from between the two.

Now, don't get me wrong. These debates are interesting but games are won and lost on the field. The only real measure of which team is better occurs on the pitch. I look forward to the next two years when my believes about the relative quality of the various CONCACAF teams can be put to measure. Clearly Canada does not have the depth to survive a couple of key injuries and some club conflicts, and this may ultimately be our achillies heel. On the flip side, I just had occasion to finally watch the Finland game, and while our back line woes continue (the area where the lack of depth is most problematic), we could easily have scored four (Of course, Finland could easily have scored 6). And generally we were not as bad as advertised and played our best possession game since the 2000 Gold Cup final (which I also had occasion to watch again recently - Cheers Matthew). Once the midfield started supporting the backline, Finalnd's scoring stopped.

FWIW, I believe that Jamaica has only ever beaten Canada once. The most recent match between the two teams was 4 years ago, however (won by Canada, 1-0).

Until the teams play each other again its not really a question that can be answered with much authority, but instead with plenty of speculation.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I am curious as to which results Jamica has achieved that have impressed you? A "quality" win over Nigeria at home, and a defeat of Paraguay are the only two results with any substance on Jamiaca's blotter. I suppose you could be impressed with the loss to Brazil, but losses are losses, IMHO. I do note that a loss to Cuba by Canada triggered much anger and recriminations in Canada, a players revolt, and the eventual resignation of the National team coach. 2 losses and a tie to Cuba didn't seem to have the same effect in Jamaica this year. Nor did a loss to Barbados. Jamaica has played more, and been fortunate to have a close semblance to their preferred side in 2003, unlike Canada. Consequently, they have two "quality" wins to Canada's one (Costa Rica) but really there doesn't seem much to choose from between the two.

Now, don't get me wrong. These debates are interesting but games are won and lost on the field. The only real measure of which team is better occurs on the pitch. I look forward to the next two years when my believes about the relative quality of the various CONCACAF teams can be put to measure. Clearly Canada does not have the depth to survive a couple of key injuries and some club conflicts, and this may ultimately be our achillies heel. On the flip side, I just had occasion to finally watch the Finland game, and while our back line woes continue (the area where the lack of depth is most problematic), we could easily have scored four (Of course, Finland could easily have scored 6). And generally we were not as bad as advertised and played our best possession game since the 2000 Gold Cup final (which I also had occasion to watch again recently - Cheers Matthew). Once the midfield started supporting the backline, Finalnd's scoring stopped.

Jamaica was at the 1998 world cup and the 2001 hex. Those are the most important results. I don't put much stock into friendlies nor the Gold Cup. Any argument that Canada is better is purely speculative. Canada might look better on paper, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes time to play.

Archived