Miller interview on Soccercentral

Andrew W

Clarification: he said that he hoped Aguiar would be available. Miller did not confirm that Aguiar would be on the squad, only that he wants to call him up. My faith in Miller has gone up a notch with this news, since it suggests that he's at least willing to give Aguiar a shot (which Aguiar no doubt deserves in light of his success in Portugal in these last few seasons.) It's now up to Fernando to take advantage of this opportunity.

In other news about the squad, he confirmed that he won't be calling up any of the U-23 or U-20 players and won't be calling up Pat Onstad or Dwayne DeRosario for these friendlies if San Jose beats LA in the MLS Cup. He added that the nucleus of the teams for these friendlies will be the squad from the Finland match, but that he'll be adding Kenny Stamatopoulos, Mark Rogers and (hopefully) Aguiar.

No mention of Xausa, Menezes, Reda, Pizzolitto, Gervais or of the players who were injured for the Finland match but may be able to return (DeVos and Brennan.)

I'm a little disappointed that Reda doesn't appear to be getting the call, but that disappointment is offset by my delight that Aguiar is being offered an opportunity. Miller is making progress: first Jazic, now Aguiar. Hopefully the new coach (whoever it is) will give Reda his chance in the new year.

Yeah, Mr. Miller put the ball publicly in Aguiar's court. Very, very crafty.

After not being called for so long, and with an opportunity to play quality opposition without a North American travel regiment it makes it pretty hard for Fernando to turn down the invite. Better be on his death bed or it'll be the last call from CSA HQ he'll ever get if he turns it down.

And since it's public he got the call, well, Mr. Miller is off the hook if he's a no show. And so is the CSA. New manager. Not too harsh a travel schedule. Quality opposition. A fresh new start. Dose he want to take it?

(Where's De Guzman??!!! Better be there! He's exactly the sort we'll need, especially against the Czecks).

P.S. Oops. Forgot to mention that ol' Colin looked pretty nervious. Deer caught in the head lights. Better get used to it I'd suppose. It's a very public job interview.

Archived