Sundogs will not be in PDL 2004

hamiltonfan

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sundogs Will Continue to Work Towards Establishing Franchise for Winnipeg

Winnipeg, MB - October 10, 2003 - With regret, the Winnipeg Sundogs Soccer Club announce that the Sundogs will not be a part of the Premier Development League for the 2004 season. Despite a tremendous amount of diligent work behind the scenes, there were several obstacles that have prevented Sundogs' management from moving the project forward.

More specifically, despite having almost come to an agreement on a proposed schedule for a Winnipeg franchise, the United Soccer Leagues (USL) have determined that Winnipeg is too geographically isolated to participate in the PDL at this time. USL Chief Operating Officer Dave Askinas states "We continue to view Winnipeg as an A-League city because of its size and the travel burdens would be unfairly placed on (other) PDL franchises if they (Winnipeg) were to enter the PDL."

While this is a disappointing outcome for us, we will continue to explore the possibility of bringing the USL to Winnipeg, as we fervently believe that the youth of Manitoba deserve the opportunity to bring their game to the next level. The USL is a first class organization that has elevated the profile of our sport in North America to a professional level. We will continue to work with other USL franchises in the United States and Canada to develop this opportunity, as Winnipeg's involvement in the USL will be fundamental for the development of their organization and the sport of soccer in Canada.

While the opportunity will exist for Winnipeg to play exhibition games against PDL and A-League teams in the coming season, those games will be determined in the future once both the PDL and A-League franchises have finalized their schedules at the upcoming USL Annual General Meeting in November.

The Winnipeg Sundogs would like to thank all those who volunteered and supported our initiative. We look forward to working with you in the future.

For media interviews, please contact Damian Rocke directly.

Rather than a disappointment, this should be viewed as an opportunity. Essentially, the USL is saying if Winnipeg gets an ownership group together with a decent bid, it's an A-League city. And with Minnesota and Milwaukee twisting in the wind without division partners at this point, Winnipeg would be a perfect fit for rebuilding the midwest division. That said, Des Moines, which would have been the other likely midwest candidate, have seen their SS stadium dreams put on hold and it looks as though they'll be PDL material for the foreseeable future.

I like the bit about exhibition matchs. That's about it though.

Would be nice to see some of our western Countrymen swing through for a friendly or six on their way out east during the A-League season. The opportunity to play against an A-League side, even in a friendly, would sure help bring some more quality bodies out to the Sundog program. Would sure help promote the game a little to boot. If the A-League is keen on grooming a Winnipeg market that may be just the way to go. Play a civic All-Star side if not the Sundogs (God, I hate that name).

Sadly, it all may be just as well. WSC's future is still up in the air so we're a little short on quality venues right now. Honestly, from the people I've talked to no one's especially sad to see WSC go, so long as something replaces it, preferably something more centrally located.

It would be nice to move back to Alexander Park, but I think Home Depot would object.

As I posted on the other site, I feel that the USL has a bogus argument.

Geographical isolation is a ridiculous reason to exclude the Winnipeg Sundogs from joining the PDL.

It's easier to get from Winnipeg to a number of the other cities, compared to Thunder Bay.

Boulder, Colorado is more isolated than Winnipeg (mind you, they've probably got WAY more money).

I'm disappointed in the USL over this :(

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I like the bit about exhibition matchs. That's about it though.

Would be nice to see some of our western Countrymen swing through for a friendly or six on their way out east during the A-League season. The opportunity to play against an A-League side, even in a friendly, would sure help bring some more quality bodies out to the Sundog program. Would sure help promote the game a little to boot. If the A-League is keen on grooming a Winnipeg market that may be just the way to go. Play a civic All-Star side if not the Sundogs (God, I hate that name).

Sadly, it all may be just as well. WSC's future is still up in the air so we're a little short on quality venues right now. Honestly, from the people I've talked to no one's especially sad to see WSC go, so long as something replaces it, preferably something more centrally located.

It would be nice to move back to Alexander Park, but I think Home Depot would object.

What's up with the Complex? Last I heard they were re-doing the pitch?

BTW, I thought Home Depot was into soccer. :D

quote:

BTW, I thought Home Depot was into soccer. :D

Haa. Geezus, I missed that one. Good catch.

Yeah, the tarmac parking lot could be used in a pinch. At least it has lighting.

From what little I hear, and it's nothing these days as the outdoor season's shut down, still undecided as what to do. WSC was built on the cheap and it's age was showing pretty badly. MSA and MMSL were looking to put some improvement money into the grounds, over and above what they'd been short changing on general maintenace over the years but with the City threatening to roll back the land for commercial development (actually condos I've heard tell) there realy was no point in making improvents where the benefit would only be for a year or two.

As it is, it looks like the WSC survives another year, but no guarentees for 2005 and beyond. Upcoming WCQ may be playing an important part as our mayor is realy big on hosting those sort of events. Hope to see some more Voyageurs out this way next year!

City will one way or another give up land and help rebuild a WSC somewhere else. I don't think anyone doughts that. It's just a question of when, where, and how much will they pony up. The loss of the facility, which was too expensive for a lot of clubs to use anyway (Winnipeg Fury said $150 a team? Think that's the number) way out in the middle of suburban Winnipeg isn't causing any tears to be shed. It's just the doughts for the future. I have nightmare visions of a Maple Grove solution. A half descent grounds too far away for anyone to want to use. Yeesh.

History repeats itself. I could be wrong but somehow I remember Alexander Park (which was a dump in it's dying days I have to add) being lost to the City for commercial development. Now the land we'd been given to replace it is getting clawed back for exactly the same reasons. Charming.

Archived