europe or the america's?

bettermirror

quote:Originally posted by PaulV

They will also have a better chance of being noticed by the higher level leagues playing in Europe's lower divisions than playing in North America, I'd expect. If they have a realistic chance of moving up, they are probably better off making a name for themselves in Division 2 or 3 rather than the A-league, for example.

I heard this refrain before that the lower leagues in Europe serv as a good stepping stone whereas you don't get noticed as easily in NA. I have accepted this notion in the past but am now beginning to wonder whether or not that is so. From a canadian perspective, I really don't see any real tangible evidence of this at all. What seems to be happening instead is that you have a much better chance when you go over there and play and excel in the reserves/development systems of the big clubs. The Cnd successes that we have seen thus far have come about this way ( eg>; DeGuzman & Klukowski). Then there is the example of a player like Radzinski who played for a big club in Div I ( after playing for another club in the same league), played well in the champions league, made a name for himself and got picked up by and EPL club. I really haven't yet seen any example of anyone just moving up the ranks from lower division to top clubs. Look at Jim Brennan as a good example. I thought for sure that ( when is contract expired) thare would be some interest from an EPL club. Yet where did he end up? At a club in the same division that is more or less equal to his previous club. In fact at present, he previous clubs, Notts Forest is ahead or Norwich in th race for promotion.

If we want a team consisting of truly international players, we need our athletes to be playing in First divsions within strong leagues. I see no evidence that the Scandinavians league are strong at all. I don't see any of their clubs in the champions league field of thirty two. This again is more evidence of the need for the MLS in canada. The MLS might make it easier to retain in Canada all those players playing in the lower divisions/leagues. It would give them a chance to play in a calibre of soccer consisting of players who are our concacaf rivals. Something that won't happen in Sweden, Norway, Scotland ( except for Celtic & Rangers), or the lower divisions in England.

Also you stated that they will be earning more money than in canada. That is good for the players but that doesn't necessarily mean much for canadian soccer as a whole. First div sides in Europe tend to acquire and pick up other first divison players instead of looking to the lower leagues when the transfer season opens. I made this argument last year on the old board when someone suggested that Deguzman would be equally well off accepting an offer from a second div side if it meant getting alot of playing time. I disagreed and stated that he would have been better off in the Bundesliga even it mean being on the bench for practically the whole first season. Which he was but look where he is at now. Would he be playing in the Bundesliga now if he would have accepted that offer from that sec div club? also look at a Brian McBride, Playing in the MLS didn't hurt his chances of getting lured by Everton.

To win, as a nation, in soccer we need talented international players. Talented internationals play for the richer clubs in teh top leagues. Conclusion, we need more players in top leagues. If they are not there, then the are better off in a league at home

Sorry, I have to disagree. Playing in the lower leagues is a means to an end. And in fact, DeGuzman played with Saarbrucken before going to Hannover. Also, Radzinski playing for Germinal Ekeren in Belgium would be similar to playing Div 2/Div 1 in England. The jump up was going to Anderlecht who assumes success domestically and only considers success in Europe as the measure of success of a season. Ajax, Feyenoord, and PSV in the Netherlands are the same.

Working your way up through the ranks is one option. Signing with a big club and playing reserve team ball is another (but they have to want the player). That leads to the question that maybe some players just aren't good enough to interest the big clubs immediately? Sometimes it takes a few years of seasoning. Playing time at the highest level possible is critical to player development.

I don't believe there is a standard approach to player recruitment by big clubs. The bottom line is grabbing the best players available at the price you are willing to pay and the player has to consider what income he needs balanced with the long term career development. Economics in its purest form.

As for going to Europe? The reasons are the same as for Brazilians. You go where the money is.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Playing in the lower leagues is a means to an end. And in fact, DeGuzman played with Saarbrucken before going to Hannover. Also, Radzinski playing for Germinal Ekeren in Belgium would be similar to playing Div 2/Div 1 in England. The jump up was going to Anderlecht who assumes success domestically and only considers success in Europe as the measure of success of a season. Ajax, Feyenoord, and PSV in the Netherlands are the same.

Working your way up through the ranks is one option. Signing with a big club and playing reserve team ball is another (but they have to want the player). That leads to the question that maybe some players just aren't good enough to interest the big clubs immediately? Sometimes it takes a few years of seasoning. Playing time at the highest level possible is critical to player development.

I don't believe there is a standard approach to player recruitment by big clubs. The bottom line is grabbing the best players available at the price you are willing to pay and the player has to consider what income he needs balanced with the long term career development. Economics in its purest form.

As for going to Europe? The reasons are the same as for Brazilians. You go where the money is.

I agree with Canuck Oranje 100%. This is an issue that applies to the USNT as well. I feel that a player will improve more being a regular starter in a 2nd division league than playing reserve ball for a 1st division side. In DeGuzman's situation he saw fairly regular playing time even though he wasn't a starter last season. He played in over 20 matches. I remember Kicker magazine rating him as one of the best U21 players in the Bundesliga.

Archived