Hargreaves vs. De Guzman

Canuck Oranje

quote:Originally posted by kclee

I believe Tony Taylor cut Hargreaves, DeGuzman and Klukowski from the same team. I recall his explanation was that we needed results that the forementioned younger players (1 year below) would not supply. He regretted that decision as the team he selected did poorly. I saw that team play on cablecast and they did not impress. If only we had developmental teams back then.

He did cut all three. I give DeGuzman and Klukowski more credit because they didn't give up after being cup (DeGuzman did consider quitting after being cut).

I believe that Pozniak got selected over Hargreaves for the U17 team. Instead of trying again, the Whore picked up his ball and went to England.

Bircham's not exactly on the FA's short list, now is he? The comparison is ridiculous.

Why blame Owen? Didn't we just go over this?

And what's Rooney got to do with this? My desire for top talent to play for Canada, and Owen's desire to whore himself out to England can't be compared. If Rooney was Canadian and decided to play for Canada despite never stepping foot in on Canuck soil, certainly, I'd welcome him with open arms. I'm not about to launch a protest for the good of England's national team, nor any other team. Just as I don't expect English fans to care about what Owen did to Canada. As a soccer fan, I'm looking out for my own team.

Having said that, in the hypothetical situation that Rooney does play for Canada, I probably wouldn't hold him in the same regard as I do genuine Canadians, like Stalteri or DeVos. Just as I don't, Radzinski, even though Radz may be our most talented player.

- Again, if it's an acceptable excuse (and we'll assume Owen would put it in better words than I did..that is if he manages to show up to even give the quote..) why the need to lie about it?

Btw, here's an interesting little quote I found from Owen:

"I'm not German. Why would I wear a German shirt? It would be like David Beckham going to Germany at 16 and they asked him to wear a German jersey, he wouldn't do it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2001/08/13/sfneng14.xml

So apparently he doesn't believe it's right to join a national team for purely practical reasons..

Tactically, I'm pretty much German but with my

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Because it sounds better than saying "I chose England for fame and money and I can't be bothered travelling thousands of miles and risking injury to play a game in Guatamala."

I don't know anything about the Owen situation, but maybe Hargraeves did do something bad, wrong... whatever. Doesn't mean that most everyone wouldn't do the same thing given the opportunity (even if they know its wrong). Since when do people always choose the "right" thing? Have you seen a Jerry Springer episode lately?

Since never. I said he was under-appreciated globally (which others seem to be saying on this board too).

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Anyway I find the comparison interesting because Hargreaves seems to get all the press.

Ha!!!

More likely you're just bored and **** disturbing on the grand scale. Cool.:)

Hargreaves gets more press because the press is stupid. They think Mr. Hargreaves is a household name, or as close to it as one can be by playing soccer because he has four or five caps or whatever it is for England. They're wrong. They should stick to baseball, NFL, wrestling or whatever it is they've dedicated their careers to.

DeGuzman. I can't get enough of this guy. When's he going to be on the box next? All these reports on his play do is just tease me and that's not nice. Not very nice at all. It sure is fun watching him develop, gives one hope for the future.

Diesel and DeGuzman in the middle. Man, I can **** disturb a little to. Imagine a Canadian midfield with Diesel, DuGuzman, and Hargreaves. No ball watching abandon the poor defenders to streaking enemy forwards in that side! Not a bloody chance!

Sigh.:(

Anyway I find the comparison interesting because Hargreaves seems to get all the press.

Ha!!!

More likely you're just bored and **** disturbing on the grand scale. Cool.:)

Hargreaves gets more press because the press is stupid. They think Mr. Hargreaves is a household name, or as close to it as one can be by playing soccer because he has four or five caps or whatever it is for England. They're wrong. They should stick to baseball, NFL, wrestling or whatever it is they've dedicated their careers to.

DeGuzman. I can't get enough of this guy. When's he going to be on the box next? All these reports on his play do is just tease me and that's not nice. Not very nice at all. It sure is fun watching him develop, gives one hope for the future.

Diesel and DeGuzman in the middle. Man, I can **** disturb a little to. Imagine a Canadian midfield with Diesel, DuGuzman, and Hargreaves. No ball watching abandon the poor defenders to streaking enemy forwards in that side! Not a bloody chance!

Sigh.:(

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

I got a response on bigsoccer to a thread about "The Whore" in the BM section.

The only respondant considers him talented but inconsistant, also Owen is starting to act more like an Englishman.

That's the opinion of one English speaking Bayern fan on a US forum. I think I'll side with the opinion of Ballack, only judged the top German player for the last two seasons. Here are some quotes from a week ago:

"Ballack, who had missed the game with a nagging calf injury, said Kahn was wrong in blaming Hargreaves for the loss.

"Kahn made mistakes himself. If we start arguing among ourselves after one defeat, that's the beginning of the end," Ballack was quoted Wednesday in the mass-circulation newspaper Bild.

"I would have expected more sensitivity from Kahn. Owen is a young player and we need him. As captain, Kahn has the right to criticize but he shouldn't do it publicly. Owen is important for the team and I am sure that as England international he will have a great match against the Scots," Ballack said. "

Well? I was pointing out that deGuzman has at least acheived parity and may have edged ahead. Only time will tell.

And I do consider Hargreaves Canadian regardless of who he plays for. It was Canada that got him started in soccer. I suspect he has not renounced his citizenship. And the Canadian minor soccer system can still claim him as a success story. While not the same, I would say the same for Lennox Lewis.

I will point out again that we have answered here why the press loves Hargreaves. Just count the responses. There is still interest in the story whether you like him or dislike him. If we want him out of our newspapers, we need to create some excitement about some of the other great young talents that we have like deGuzman (and players Hutchinson, Nsaliwa, and Hume among others a step or two away).

But I have to admit, I was stirring it up a little.:)

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I think we're all missing the point here, Canuck Oranje originally asked us who we think is the better "Canadian" player, DeGuzman or the Whore, and since the whore isn't Canadian, the obvious answer is DeGuzman.

I will point out again that we have answered here why the press loves Hargreaves. Just count the responses. There is still interest in the story whether you like him or dislike him.

I disagree that 'the press' loves Hargreaves because of some widespread interest in the story. I don't think the average reader has a widespread interest in his story.

The OH story got some play during the World Cup because it had an obvious hook -- Calgary kid plays for one of the world's most famous sides.

Now that the WC is over, you don't see a lot of OH stories out there. About the only people who care one way or another are those on here.

Soccer in this country has not reached the point where serious commentary on the sport is going to appear in the mainstream media. If a soccer story appears it's either local (Upper Armpit star makes good), human interest (Dog plays soccer!!), wire copy (AC Milan over Barcelona in Champions League), or relating to our national teams in competition (Women's soccer wins first world cup game).

The Brit from Calgary falls into the human interest category. I doubt you will hear much about him until the next WC (assuming he is still playing for England at that time).

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

human interest (Dog plays soccer!!)

The Brit from Calgary falls into the human interest category. I doubt you will hear much about him until the next WC (assuming he is still playing for England at that time).

Dog plays soccer? Does the CSA knows about this??? Sorry Luis, I

couldn't resist man . :D

I think Cheetah was right on; the Whore is in the news because the

media is stupid and they like the human interest stuff...

JDG will eventually become a household name when Hannover does great

in the Bundesliga, and if Canada has a lot of success in its WCQ/WC

goals. I honestly think the Whore couldn't last in the blazing hot

Central American games with heat, the refs, the diving and all.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

human interest (Dog plays soccer!!)

Dog plays soccer? Does the CSA knows about this??? Sorry Luis, I

couldn't resist man . :D

I think Cheetah was right on; the Whore is in the news because the

media is stupid and they like the human interest stuff...

JDG will eventually become a household name when Hannover does great

in the Bundesliga, and if Canada has a lot of success in its WCQ/WC

goals. I honestly think the Whore couldn't last in the blazing hot

Central American games with heat, the refs, the diving and all.

Guest Jeffery S.

At an office I work at teaching there was a young German, I saw he had the Kicker site on looking at a Hertha result (most of the Germans are on practicums from Berlin). It wasn't his computer, I got on and I kept looking at the same site for other teams where Canadians are, and he was surprised, so I told him I follow Canadians.

First player he mentioned was Stalteri, pronounced wrong but who cares, he knew he was Canuck immediately. Then I mention Julian and he said, yes, he scored last week. Agreed he was a hot young player.

No mention at all of Owen. In fact it only crossed my mind later. So better really, we don't need him.

Every true football fan from Germany I have met knows who Stalteri is. De Guzman will make himself known widely soon enough.

Guest Jeffery S.

At an office I work at teaching there was a young German, I saw he had the Kicker site on looking at a Hertha result (most of the Germans are on practicums from Berlin). It wasn't his computer, I got on and I kept looking at the same site for other teams where Canadians are, and he was surprised, so I told him I follow Canadians.

First player he mentioned was Stalteri, pronounced wrong but who cares, he knew he was Canuck immediately. Then I mention Julian and he said, yes, he scored last week. Agreed he was a hot young player.

No mention at all of Owen. In fact it only crossed my mind later. So better really, we don't need him.

Every true football fan from Germany I have met knows who Stalteri is. De Guzman will make himself known widely soon enough.

Archived