What do you know about Finland and their football

Northern Star

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Nutty Finn

We have also some young superstars: Mikael Forsell (Chelsea FC/Birmingham), Teemu Tainio (Auxerre) and Mika Väyrynen (Heerenveen).

I saw Forssell play a few times when he was on loan with Crystal Palace. It was sad to lose him. It's a good thing Chelsea loaned him out again, because he'd be very hard pressed for playing time with all the moves they've made recently.

Riihilahti is a decent midfielder and very entertaining personality. It's too bad he hasn't updated the news section of http://www.akiriihilahti.com/ for the longest time...

Hyppia is an awesome BBC Fantasy Football League pick. :)

quote:Originally posted by Nutty Finn

We have also some young superstars: Mikael Forsell (Chelsea FC/Birmingham), Teemu Tainio (Auxerre) and Mika Väyrynen (Heerenveen).

I saw Forssell play a few times when he was on loan with Crystal Palace. It was sad to lose him. It's a good thing Chelsea loaned him out again, because he'd be very hard pressed for playing time with all the moves they've made recently.

Riihilahti is a decent midfielder and very entertaining personality. It's too bad he hasn't updated the news section of http://www.akiriihilahti.com/ for the longest time...

Hyppia is an awesome BBC Fantasy Football League pick. :)

Granite Brewery's (Toronto, Halifax) Cask Conditioned Bitter is a real treat. Creemore Springs Lager (Ontario) is also decent, although I'm not a huge Lager fan.

Quebecois beer are brewed in the Belgian - not French - tradition. There are some real good ones. Hmm... time for another road trip to Montreal soon.

Granite Brewery's (Toronto, Halifax) Cask Conditioned Bitter is a real treat. Creemore Springs Lager (Ontario) is also decent, although I'm not a huge Lager fan.

Quebecois beer are brewed in the Belgian - not French - tradition. There are some real good ones. Hmm... time for another road trip to Montreal soon.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Rolling Rock and Sam Adams are two fine examples of American beer.

Sam Adams is a fine example, Rolling Rock is not.

I also agree with the Granite Brewery analysis, and Creemore is easy enough to find on tap in Toronto, and better than most others.

Sam Adams is a fine example, Rolling Rock is not.

I also agree with the Granite Brewery analysis, and Creemore is easy enough to find on tap in Toronto, and better than most others.

Lesson 1

The coach of Finland is called the Walrus. He's persecuted by some extreme organization that would like to cut his cock off by using secateurs and crowbar. However, the Walrus (known from the moustache of lust****er) is incredibly smart and therefore hard to catch. I heard that they've tried to kidnap him a couple of times but it has ended up in failure. Still, the delivery van keeps on moving...

Lesson 1

The coach of Finland is called the Walrus. He's persecuted by some extreme organization that would like to cut his cock off by using secateurs and crowbar. However, the Walrus (known from the moustache of lust****er) is incredibly smart and therefore hard to catch. I heard that they've tried to kidnap him a couple of times but it has ended up in failure. Still, the delivery van keeps on moving...

Two of Finland's matches were recently broadcast live nationally across Canada on a station that broadcasts Italian national team matches. (A strange thing about Canada is that Italy's national team gets far more games broadcast in Canada than Canada does). I watched both matches, and despite Finland losing 2-0 in each match, I thought they looked pretty good, against a top Italian team that was firing on all cylinders in each match. Based on what I saw I would expect Finland to be clear favourites at home against Canada, though now that Finland is out of the running for 2004 I guess we may not see the strongest Finnish squad, but no doubt still a quality one. You will likely see the best or close to the best Canadian squad against Finland, as this so far is the only friendly we have lined up prior to World Cup qualification, which for us starts in February. Unfortunately we won't have our new manager for the match as he isn't expected to be hired until November/December. In the interim the assistant coach will handle the team for the Finland match, and its possible that his idea of Canada's top team might be completely different from everybody else's - you never know with a new coach.

Two of Finland's matches were recently broadcast live nationally across Canada on a station that broadcasts Italian national team matches. (A strange thing about Canada is that Italy's national team gets far more games broadcast in Canada than Canada does). I watched both matches, and despite Finland losing 2-0 in each match, I thought they looked pretty good, against a top Italian team that was firing on all cylinders in each match. Based on what I saw I would expect Finland to be clear favourites at home against Canada, though now that Finland is out of the running for 2004 I guess we may not see the strongest Finnish squad, but no doubt still a quality one. You will likely see the best or close to the best Canadian squad against Finland, as this so far is the only friendly we have lined up prior to World Cup qualification, which for us starts in February. Unfortunately we won't have our new manager for the match as he isn't expected to be hired until November/December. In the interim the assistant coach will handle the team for the Finland match, and its possible that his idea of Canada's top team might be completely different from everybody else's - you never know with a new coach.

quote:Originally posted by Northern Star

"We have very good beer here in Quebec and all across Canada..."

I hardly believe this lie - Have you ever heard of good french beer?

Quebec is not part of France, hence Quebec beer would not be french.

Yes, I guess I wasn't being clear. I was just pointing out that Canadians seem to always insult American beer, when the fact is our two big name beers are just as horrible as the the American big name beers.

It was funny because somebody in the southside started a chant at the last game against Seattle which went "Whats it like to drink real beer" which is essence is claiming that they ahve to come to Canada for good beer. Which is ridiculous. In fact there was a story on the news last week where a Vancouver pub owner basically said that Vancouver is basically 5-6 years behind Seattle and Portland in the choice of fine microbrews.

Archived