What do you know about Finland and their football

Northern Star

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

(A strange thing about Canada is that Italy's national team gets far more games broadcast in Canada than Canada does.

I don't get that channel, so perhaps it's just Toronto not Canada that gets more Italian national team games than Canada does.

I wish I had that channel though.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I don't get that channel, so perhaps it's just Toronto not Canada that gets more Italian national team games than Canada does.

Telelatino is available across the country, though. It's just not part of every package.

Even in Toronto, with Rogers anyway, you need the second-tier package to get Telelatino, which is also required to get TSN, both MuchMusics, A&E, CNN, TLC, Showcase, Bravo, Life, Discovery and a couple others. From what I can tell most people have at least this package (there is one more package above it and then comes digital).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Two of Finland's matches were recently broadcast live nationally across Canada on a station that broadcasts Italian national team matches. (A strange thing about Canada is that Italy's national team gets far more games broadcast in Canada than Canada does). I watched both matches, and despite Finland losing 2-0 in each match, I thought they looked pretty good, against a top Italian team that was firing on all cylinders in each match. Based on what I saw I would expect Finland to be clear favourites at home against Canada, though now that Finland is out of the running for 2004 I guess we may not see the strongest Finnish squad, but no doubt still a quality one. You will likely see the best or close to the best Canadian squad against Finland, as this so far is the only friendly we have lined up prior to World Cup qualification, which for us starts in February. Unfortunately we won't have our new manager for the match as he isn't expected to be hired until November/December. In the interim the assistant coach will handle the team for the Finland match, and its possible that his idea of Canada's top team might be completely different from everybody else's - you never know with a new coach.

I have to disagree with you a little. Especially in Italy Finland played like ****. In our home game though we played lot more better but you should have seen our 3-0 win over Serbia&Montenegro. That's the kind of football I like to see.

I think that the Walrus is going to make many changes into the usual National team line-up for the Canada game because of the fact that we don't have any chances for qualifying for EURO2004 anymore.

This could be the line-up!?

-----------------Jääskeläinen------------------

Reini-------Pasanen----Hyypiä----------Saarinen

-------------Väyrynen--Tainio------------------

Nurmela--------Eremenko Jr.-------------Kopteff

----------------Forssell-----------------------

There hasn't been many players in the national side from Finnish Veikkausliiga very lately so I guess there might be few players this time. Tampere United goalkeeper Mikko Kaven (almost signed by Arsenal a month ago) could be one of those players.

Guest imported_n/a

I am finn but I will support Canada on Finland vs. Canada match. I even have Canada's playshirt. I am mieshuora! Come suck my röhmykyrpä![8D]

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Telelatino is available across the country, though. It's just not part of every package.

Even in Toronto, with Rogers anyway, you need the second-tier package to get Telelatino, which is also required to get TSN, both MuchMusics, A&E, CNN, TLC, Showcase, Bravo, Life, Discovery and a couple others. From what I can tell most people have at least this package (there is one more package above it and then comes digital).

I get a second tier package here with the muchmusics, Life (I could do without those three stations) and all the others. No TLN. :(

quote:Originally posted by Northern Star

"We have very good beer here in Quebec and all across Canada..."

I hardly believe this lie - Have you ever heard of good french beer?

Okay, a quick lesson on Canada. Quebec, like it or not, is part of Canada. The beers that my Quebecois friend refers to are Canadian beer, not French. Secondly, the Quebecois do amazing things the French can only dream of, including making beer. The Quebecois are North Americans, not Europeans. They are that special brand of North American that looks more European than American, but isn't really European in the slightest. What do we call this brand of North American? Two things: 1) Canadian 2) Gods-of-the-Earth.

Hey, Northern Star, did you know that your eponym is no longer than brightest star in the night sky. You are fading, fading and will die sooner than a Finnish summer. Go blow an O-ring.

What I know about Finland:

1) They have great hockey players. (We're familiar with Selanne,

Teppo Numminen, etc. since I'm from Winnipeg.)

2) They have a good football team. They beat Portugal 4-1 in Portugal

before WC2002.

3) They have great ski-jumpers.

4) They love their Russian and Swedish neighbors historically. ;)

5) Just like many other countries, they have players in the EPL and

the Bundesliga.

6) They like herring. Or were those the Icelanders?

7) Helsinki had the Olympics in 1952.

8) We confuse Finland and Sweden and Denmark a lots. Because it's too

easy to do so.

That's it. We don't really care otherwise ...

What I know about Finland:

1) They have great hockey players. (We're familiar with Selanne,

Teppo Numminen, etc. since I'm from Winnipeg.)

2) They have a good football team. They beat Portugal 4-1 in Portugal

before WC2002.

3) They have great ski-jumpers.

4) They love their Russian and Swedish neighbors historically. ;)

5) Just like many other countries, they have players in the EPL and

the Bundesliga.

6) They like herring. Or were those the Icelanders?

7) Helsinki had the Olympics in 1952.

8) We confuse Finland and Sweden and Denmark a lots. Because it's too

easy to do so.

That's it. We don't really care otherwise ...

Archived