Who will replace Osieck?

George

NORMAN DA COSTA

Now that Holger Osieck has thrown in the towel after five years at the helm of Canadian soccer, the search is on for a coach that will prepare the men's team for a run at the next World Cup finals in Germany in 2006.

The departure of a coach who was highly respected internationally came as a major shock, and it is now evident that the no-nonsense Osieck had worn out his welcome with the players.

This, in turn, forced the Canadian Soccer Association to ask for Osieck's resignation, as many of the players indicated they would no longer be prepared to turn up for future internationals as long as he was the coach.

It is not uncommon for a coach to fall out of favour with his players and vice versa. But it's a shame Osieck isn't staying on in his second role as technical director, a job at which he excelled.

When he first arrived in Canada, he was shocked to find that there was no infrastructure. He painstakingly toured the country and released his blueprint for the game, which included forming national teams from the under-15 level and up. He took a page out of Germany's program, where he worked for the national federation for 11 years.

He insisted that all the national teams be given as much international exposure as possible and for the first time players as young as 15 travelled the world gaining much-needed experience.

Osieck also restructured the coaching system across the country and, just prior to quitting, said he was confident that in the next five years Canada would start producing some top-flight players.

Paul James, who like Osieck sprung a surprise by resigning as coach of Canada's under-20 men's team a couple of years ago, said Osieck should be credited for the job he did as technical director.

"He certainly made an impact," James said.

"The scouting system he set up is very, very good and has given the players an excellent chance of being noticed by overseas teams.

The CSA has already received 12 applications from around the world and expects that figure to hit 100. Among them will be several Canadians who believe they are ready to fill Osieck's boots.

Former international Colin Miller is one. Others include San Jose Earthquakes coach Frank Yallop, Olympic coach Bruce Twamley and under-17 coach Dale Mitchell. The other serious contender could be national women's coach Even Pellerud.

Former defender Yallop has turned the MLS club's fortunes around, but CSA president Andy Sharpe says that he will not "try and poach a man who is under contract."

Miller, who played for Glasgow Rangers, Hearts and Dunfermline before coaching Hamilton in Scotland, says he will apply for the job.

"It would be a privilege to coach Canada," Miller said.

The CSA will have a permanent coach in place by the end of November and that should give him enough time to evaluate his squad before World Cup qualifying play begins in February.

"We will pick the best coach available," said CSA executive Kevan Pipe. "It could be a local or one from overseas."

Among the foreign names being bandied about include former French great Jean Tigana, who guided Fulham to the Premiership last year, and Brazilian Rene Simoes, who took Jamaica to the 1998 World Cup and helped turn around the island's program.

Hopefully, when the CSA settles on its man, it will make sure that he will not neglect the game at the grassroots level, as happened before Osieck's arrival.

With all due respect, hopefully it won't be Collin Miller. I mean he had trouble with his Scottish lower division team let alone the national team. Jean Tigana also proved useless with Fulham despite having the cash, so even if he has applied, I don't know if he would be up for the task.

Rene Simoes should be interesting. At least he has intimate knowledge of CONCACAF and has a lot of international experience.

No swearing on the pitch with Simoes however. He's a far-out born-again Xstian who demanded some pretty strange things of his players in Jamaica. Might not be a good idea after Holger. A disciplinarian is okay, but we don't want another Charles Manson type communicator.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

No swearing on the pitch with Simoes however. He's a far-out born-again Xstian who demanded some pretty strange things of his players in Jamaica. Might not be a good idea after Holger. A disciplinarian is okay, but we don't want another Charles Manson type communicator.

Wow. Brennan would be screwed, as far as I've seen. And no more, uh, gestures from Stalteri.

I wonder about Tigana... would he play Pesch as Canada's coach? Or would Pesch be training with the U20s?

quote:Originally posted by Alex M

I find Jean Tigana extremely interesting. He is a proven coach and I think he did a fine job with Fulham.

I'd like to see what a high profile manager could do with our bunch of misfits.

Alex

Well, seeing as he basically bought a new team of French nationals, I don't see how that 'fine job' would translate to our situation.

Here Here!

No Tigana

That would be disatrous. He will try and bring french players to play for canada. Fulham was the best under Keegan that was the true revolution. I really want to see Pesch back with the nats! we dont need Tigana. Crusty coach. French version of the German. not fair at all. any other direction will do.

Guest Jeffery S.

I have been sitting on this suggestion for months, yes months, since long before Holger left I had though of him.

Radomir Antic was the Barça coach for the last half of the season and is now unemployed, doing radio commentary in Spain and perhaps for Serbia. Played for Luton Town in the early 80s (Raddy they call him) and Zaragoza in Spain. Coached Madrid to a half a season and league leadership then they dumped him, then went to Atletico were he eventually won the double (Cup and League). No success more recently at Oviedo, relegated, but at Barça he took us from our worst start ever to a UEFA spot on the last day of the season.

Antic is a Serb. Excellent football mind, sees the team as a whole, works the defense well. Not a coach for spectacular soccer (thus problems holding on at Madrid or Barça) but good positional play, and quite generous to players deserving time, including younger ones.

Raddy was in line for the Serbia and M job as they are doing poorly lately, but in the end he'll have to wait. For now though he just might be interested in making a move. We can't pay him what he's used to but the overall chance of trying to qualify a side for the WC is enough of a challenge. Speaks good English. And understands how a good youth system should work. Plus combines ex-Yugoslav, Spanish, and English soccer cultures, so a positive angle for Canada.

An option if in the end we are not stuck on hiring a Canadian this time

Another excellent option. I really think whoever gets named will need to almost perform miracles or they will be gone after 2006.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I have been sitting on this suggestion for months, yes months, since long before Holger left I had though of him.

Radomir Antic was the Barça coach for the last half of the season and is now unemployed, doing radio commentary in Spain and perhaps for Serbia. Played for Luton Town in the early 80s (Raddy they call him) and Zaragoza in Spain. Coached Madrid to a half a season and league leadership then they dumped him, then went to Atletico were he eventually won the double (Cup and League). No success more recently at Oviedo, relegated, but at Barça he took us from our worst start ever to a UEFA spot on the last day of the season.

Antic is a Serb. Excellent football mind, sees the team as a whole, works the defense well. Not a coach for spectacular soccer (thus problems holding on at Madrid or Barça) but good positional play, and quite generous to players deserving time, including younger ones.

Raddy was in line for the Serbia and M job as they are doing poorly lately, but in the end he'll have to wait. For now though he just might be interested in making a move. We can't pay him what he's used to but the overall chance of trying to qualify a side for the WC is enough of a challenge. Speaks good English. And understands how a good youth system should work. Plus combines ex-Yugoslav, Spanish, and English soccer cultures, so a positive angle for Canada.

An option if in the end we are not stuck on hiring a Canadian this time

Excellent suggestion, Jeffrey, on Antic. I was really impressed with what he did with Barca at the end of last season, epsecially with keeping his cool in the circus-like atmosphere. He also seems to have, like Bora, a sense of humour and diplomatic skills, all too rare in

central and east European coaches.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Radomir Antic was the Barça coach for the last half of the season and is now unemployed, doing radio commentary in Spain and perhaps for Serbia.

Interesting suggestion. Obviously well respected ... he's the early bookies favourite to get the Spurs job now that Hoddle has been sacked.

Archived