Ngon moves to Montreal

Bxl Boy

There seems to be two sides to that coin. I know that the Rochester fan-club experienced a split a couple of years back. One side, generally the older more mature crowd are good guys. Never had any problems with them.

The others however are generally just wannabe-hooligans of the worst kind. When me, Frank and Blair went down to Rochester we stopped at the pub and ran into a hand full of the psuedo-thugs. They were very disrespectful and spoke in a condescending tone.

The other supporters look down at them are dislike them just as much as we do. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rhino supporters you ran into in the chat were the wannabe-hooligans.

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

quote:Originally posted by François

Ngon played the last 20 minutes of the game last night plus OT and didn't show much. He needs to lose 30 pounds to be back in shape like he was when he first played in Montreal. WHO said that this guy should be playing in Europe?

François

www.impactsoccer.com

Unless he's gained 30 pounds in the last week, I don't think Ali needs to lose another 30 pounds (which would probably require the severing of a limb in order to achieve). Plus he didn't really out of shape when scoring all those goals for Toronto against Montreal.

It's interesting that they aren't even starting Ali. I think Ali will do well in Montreal if he is given some decent playing time & a chance to gel with the team. Having said that, I don't think Montreal's style of play suits him as well as Toronto's did. However, even if he doesn't do much for Montreal this year, from a Toronto fans point of view that damage has been done - he won't be doing anything more for Toronto this year.

And if we can still believe in tomorrow, yesterday will disappear soon enough - IQ, The Wake (1985)

Don't get me wrong Gian-Luca but we saw him in better shape in the past. I like him as a player, I just think he still looks out of shape and I'm not sure Lilley likes that. I don't understand why he's on the bench since he's our only true forward now with Kolic. I don't think Sebrango will be back before the play-offs...

François

www.impactsoccer.com

quote:Originally posted by David C.

My guess is that the Ngon trade hinges on whether he helps win a championship and/or (more likely) he extends his contract to stay with Montreal.

If so, Toronto may get a player, or two, or a draft pick to compensate.

Just a guess though.

A-League draft picks are useless. In the A-League a player has a short period in which he has to sign with a club that drafted him (2 weeks or so) and then he becomes free again. This renders draft picks as useless, however the A-League still holds the draft as a publicity measure.

As I've said above in regards to trades, this is the A-League we are talking about. I highly doubt that many, if any, Montreal players will still be under conract after this season ends. This would mean in order for Montreal to send players to Toronto they will have to sign them first before next season starts, only to ship them to Toronto, which I bet won't sit too well with the players, unless of course they know what the deal is before they sign.

"As nothing in this life that I've been trying

could equal or surpass the art of dying"-George Harrison

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

As I've said above in regards to trades, this is the A-League we are talking about. I highly doubt that many, if any, Montreal players will still be under conract after this season ends. This would mean in order for Montreal to send players to Toronto they will have to sign them first before next season starts, only to ship them to Toronto, which I bet won't sit too well with the players, unless of course they know what the deal is before they sign.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the younger players have signed at least two-year deals. As for a lot of the veteran's, their contract is probably up at the end of the season (or an option). Nash is probably on a one-year.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking (but not hoping) that Williams might also make his way back home. This is probably conditionary to the play of Ali. Maybe that's why we're not playing him too much [}:)].

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Maybe Montreal will sign next year other young talents for more years and will send them to Toronto for the first year, paying a part (or their whole) salary

Just a try to find what could be those "further arrangements" between both teams

But like you all say here, it's difficult to find something coherent

http://www.impactsoccer.com

There is nobody on Vancouvers roster that is signed for more than the present season. It's been like this for years. As soon as the seasons over they are free to go anywhere they want-indoor, overseas, VMSL wherever.

I'm suprised to hear that there may be Montreal players with multi-year contracts.

quote:Originally posted by François

Gervais has a 3 year contract. He works for Saputo in the off season.

François

www.impactsoccer.com

Well theres no chance he'd be involved in the trade then! In fact if Montreal has thought so much of some of their players that they signed them to multi-year contracts then I doubt they'd be involved in transfers either.

The general rule in the A-League is not even one year contracts. It's seasonal, generally 6 months. Most players aren't paid year round.

During the Can-Am cup final between Montreal and Rochester, I happened to be listening to the game while on the A-League chat. Everytime Montreal scored another goal the Rochester fans (which was everybody except Thiago Martins dad and I) got worse and worse with their bigoted comments about the French Quebecers and Canada. Eventually I just had to log off, as I can't even repeat the comments that these Rochester "fans" were spewing.

So since these are the vocal supporters of Rochester I am going to consider that all Rochester fans are the same.

Whoa, you are making a huge and very dangerous generalization. You're looking at it the wrong way: vocal supporters are more likely to spew crap that is not representative of all fans.

I don't know if this Ngon transfer was good for the Lynx or not, but what I do know is that it is more evidence that the Lynx cannot hold on to their best players, whether these players are off to Europe, don't want to play for the Lynx any more, are transferred to other A-League teams, or whatever the case may be. While Vancouver and Montreal attract key players to build strong teams, the Lynx are forced to try to fill the gaps with lesser players. It seems that this is an endless cycle, and there is little evidence that it can be broken any time soon, so either the Lynx will fluke it off one year or they will continue to be also-rans.

That is not intended to be a criticism of the Lynx, it's just an observation (however obvious, it has not been mentioned so I figured I'd throw it in).

BTW, there was talk about whether or not Toronto was mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs. At the time of the trade, they were not. However, after the loss to Vancouver, they now are.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Whoa, you are making a huge and very dangerous generalization. You're looking at it the wrong way: vocal supporters are more likely to spew crap that is not representative of all fans.

Actually that not a dangerous assumtion at all. It doesn't hurt me to assume that, and it's not hurting them. I'm very aware that the Stampede is a very small and childish part of the overall Rhinos support. I was actually making a point that they are the group that people will associate with Rochester fans (not very clear though). However they are the most vocal, they are the only ones that actually care about the team enough to listen to road games while chatting on the A-League chat, and they are the ones that people associate with Rochester fans since they are the ones only making noise.

Also, I don't see the vocal supporters of any other club spewing crap. I take exception to that comment actually.

Actually that not a dangerous assumtion at all. It doesn't hurt me to assume that, and it's not hurting them.

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. This stuff is a bit too serious to discuss here.

quote:I'm very aware that the Stampede is a very small and childish part of the overall Rhinos support. I was actually making a point that they are the group that people will associate with Rochester fans (not very clear though). However they are the most vocal, they are the only ones that actually care about the team enough to listen to road games while chatting on the A-League chat, and they are the ones that people associate with Rochester fans since they are the ones only making noise.
Yeah, people will associate this group with all Rochester fans in general --- the fact that this is wrong is basically why I responded.

As a Lazio fan, I suppose I am a bit more sensitive to this type of thing. There are some very vocal idiots who do some really stupid things at Lazio matches, so people start calling the club and Lazio fans in general racist/fascist. I didn't even know anything about this stuff when I became a fan, but suddenly I was blanketed under this generalization, and it feels like crap.

quote:Also, I don't see the vocal supporters of any other club spewing crap. I take exception to that comment actually.
No offence intended. I didn't mean to say that vocal supporters are more likely to spew crap. I meant that, if they spew crap, it is more likely to be non-representative of all fans than it is to be representative of all fans.

Archived