Why not this line-up against Cuba??

Paddy

Hi,

-Carlo and Hume (or even Xausa) up front.

-Paul in the midfield.

-Nick on the bench.

-Kevin on defense.

-Fenwick or his protégé, Hastings, on the bench.

Tell me this team couldn't have done better against Cuba. Please, explain how.

Time for Holger to go.

Paul

Maybe you should apply for the job Paddy, since you're a better tactician than Holger and all...

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

Well, I must have blinders on.

I'm the only one in Canadian Soccerdom who though Paul F. had a hell of a pair of games. (Midfield on both goals! JDV a bit at fault on both goals! That 2nd goal, ug and double ug.)

My coachs as a wee cub are to blame of course. With better coaching, oh yeah, and talent, I'd have been out there playing monday instead of working in a machine shop.

Still can't believe we lost monday. Simply can't believe McKenna didn't score but I'll agree on the starting lineup not being selected as the best.

Yes, Diesel in an attacking mid. role supporting 2 strikers. Make that field nice and wide. Hume to start okay, but Big Kev stays up front (How? How? How could he not?!!)

Nick's not even on the bench. Off to the salon and then back to the left coast. Thanks. See, yah.

Nash was spent. If he dosen't bring his best passing to the match he dosen't bring anything. And besides, on saturday it was Nash, Hastings and Nick who're stumbling around on that left side all stupid. Hard to keep that going. Nash out Atiba in. Never hurts to have those long shanks ranging all over the middle third dose it?

MC2 and Hastings still start simply because who else can you put out there?

"Minority of one"

Well, I must have blinders on.

I'm the only one in Canadian Soccerdom who though Paul F. had a hell of a pair of games. (Midfield on both goals! JDV a bit at fault on both goals! That 2nd goal, ug and double ug.)

My coachs as a wee cub are to blame of course. With better coaching, oh yeah, and talent, I'd have been out there playing monday instead of working in a machine shop.

Still can't believe we lost monday. Simply can't believe McKenna didn't score but I'll agree on the starting lineup not being selected as the best.

Yes, Diesel in an attacking mid. role supporting 2 strikers. Make that field nice and wide. Hume to start okay, but Big Kev stays up front (How? How? How could he not?!!)

Nick's not even on the bench. Off to the salon and then back to the left coast. Thanks. See, yah.

Nash was spent. If he dosen't bring his best passing to the match he dosen't bring anything. And besides, on saturday it was Nash, Hastings and Nick who're stumbling around on that left side all stupid. Hard to keep that going. Nash out Atiba in. Never hurts to have those long shanks ranging all over the middle third dose it?

MC2 and Hastings still start simply because who else can you put out there?

"Minority of one"

Hi,

Kevin on the back line because the "inert duo" just can't cut it. Kev is a good defender. I am not saying we should have played for the tie, but it was all we needed. Hume would have run his ass off up front. I just can’t fathom why Nick was on with fresh legs on the bench.

Lets hope we field a decent team against Finland.

Paul

Hi,

Kevin on the back line because the "inert duo" just can't cut it. Kev is a good defender. I am not saying we should have played for the tie, but it was all we needed. Hume would have run his ass off up front. I just can’t fathom why Nick was on with fresh legs on the bench.

Lets hope we field a decent team against Finland.

Paul

Still willing to have another look at Pizzolitto. Can't say that I expect Holger well ever start the man but if Nevio is game enough to follow our Red Minnows around the globe he might get his chance yet.

Hume wasn't too sharp on the chances he had. Held that one ball way, way too long and made quite a hash of that ball that was delivered to him in the left penalty all free and alone but yeah, he'd have spred those Cubans out a little had he started and he's certainly got a head for the game. He's going to be something if he continues developing.

"Minority of one"

I thought Fenwick had his best game for Canada against Costa Rica but he went back to his old self against Cuba. I hate to say that, as I just spent 2 days cheering for the guy, but I've just seen too many goals that he can be held responsible for. If Holger continues to use him in the future when there are other options that can be looked at, I will have to give my head a severe shake. The fact is we have not examined other sweeper options outside Fenwick since the alleged loss of form of Menezes.

Its also time to stop using Dasovic. With him & Imhof in the midfield there isn't much offensive creativity in the centre, one of the two should go as starters and as Nick will soon be 35 & Imhof is only 25, it should be Nick.

And its high time we finally got Jazic on the field of play at left back to see what he can do in that position.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

I'll give Paul a little stick for not riding More tighter on that first goal but man, I watched it time and again thinking what am I missing here that everyone else is seeing? To me, when More called for that ball as the play developed then short stepped away from goal everybody must have know what was coming. No, Paul wasn't tight enough on More but he was running into JDV's coverage and from Fenwick's screaming after the goal you know he must have been calling to Jason the danger. To me, that goal was scored because a free pass was allowed into the top of the box which never, ever, should have be allowed to happen. MC2 had he jumped off his man harder when the first pass was made would've closed that lane. If JDV had led More a little quicker (knowing Paul was shadowing the man) he'd have closed that lane. How many red shirts in one small area outside the box to close a passing lane in a danger area?

And on the 2nd goal (it still makes me sweat, seeing it in my mind's eye) Hastings dose a wonderful job pushing the man out as wide as possible. Textbook. Paul's covering his man like hair on a gorilla and JDV, instead of attacking the ball carrier Hasting's is shepparding wide kinda hangs out in the area. I'm not sure if it was Imhoff or Nick who got ran past through the midfield but someone didn't call out to the center back of incoming danger. You see Fenwick after the goal? "Were the hell did he come from?" I'm sure had Paul known he was being left 2 on 1 he would have risked an own goal and stabbed at that pass. Even still, had JDV attacked the greyhound Hastings' was pushing wide every step he took closer to them would have moved the attacker's passing angles closer to the goal line and Hirschfeld. I'm allmost certain JDV had he joined Hastings would have completely eliminated any chance of a feed from that Cuban towards goal.

Wheh. But like I wrote, maybe my perception is wrong. It's alot about communication. And, well never get a real look on what's developing on the field from a television screen.

By the way, Paul, no more cheques please. Your last one bounced.

P.S. I knew someone would bite!

P.S.S. If Nick Dasovic ever plays for Canada again I join the fire Holger camp.

"Minority of one"

I thought MC got caught a little bit on that 1st goal. I think he expected Nick to pick a player up who cut inside of MC (MC was trying to stay a bit wide) and hesitated when he didn't see that happening right away. It all boils down to a lack of understanding due to inexperience playing together. A friendly against a Caribbean side prior to the tourney would have done wonders. It's easy to blame players isn't it.

Free the banana cream 3!

In my books, McKenna is now a striker.. I suspect Hearts will use him that way too. Fenwick did play better than usual. My concern is with the make up of the Defensive 4. I see DeVos being more useful than Fenwick which means we need someone who compliments him. We also need someone better than Hastings in the left back position. Pozniak seems ok on the right side but long term I like Nsaliwa there. If you watch the German game again you will see he was much tighter on his German mark than the rest of the Canadian defense was prepared to play (a sign of much needed confidence).

Archived