Gold Cup???

ziv2002

Hi Ziv,

Yes the Gold Cup is like the Euro Championship. Teams from CONCACAF(North & Central America and the Caribbean) play in the championship along with a few guest teams(this year Brazil and Colombia will participate).The Gold Cup winner qualifies for a spot in the Confederations Cup and sometimes for a spot in Copa America. These days 12 teams play in each Gold Cup meaning that there is a qualifying phase before the tournament. The Gold Cup evolved from the CONCACAF championships which were mainly World Cup Qualifying tournaments. As you will see below, it is played every couple of years but without a real set pattern. Canada has participated in every tournament except the one in 1998. For the record , here are the Gold Cup champions since its inception:

1991 USA

1993 Mexico

1996 Mexico

1998 Mexico

2000 Canada

2002 USA

2003 ??

Albert Ohayon

Montreal match reporter, a-league.com

This leads to an interesting question. Why is there a Gold Cup this year?

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

This leads to an interesting question. Why is there a Gold Cup this year?

Maybe related to it switching from being a winter tournament to a summer tournament? It could have been held next summer, but money and the competition from the European Championships might have led to decide to move it up a year. This way it can be held every two years and not coincide with the World Cup and Euro tournaments. That's my guess.

Good guess. Has there been any talk at all about switching to every 4 years (other than from the fans, that is)?

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

quote:Originally posted by ziv2002

thanks alot Alberto7,

again.you help me alot,

but Canada didn't play at 1998?

Israel are on their way to...

Euro 2004!!!

Canada was given an automatic place at the GC 1998 (porbably due to good prior record), but decided to let Jamaica replace them as Jamaica had just qualified for the World Cup. Jamaica had, strangely, been beaten out on goal difference in the qualifying stages by Grenada (of all teams), whom they tied. Don't know the story behind it, but I seem to remember the request initally coming from CONCANAF. Cnada magnaminously agreed, probably becuase it needed to regroup after the disasterous WC campaign (although we did make it to the final round). Makes sense, as the tournament was considered training for the WC later in France.

Giving 98 a pass was a very unpopular move on here at the time. It seemed like perfect opportunity to let Twamley have a look at some of the young guys and see how they fared in a competitive, but not entirely life or death situation.

Instead we throw a helping hand to one of our main rivals for future World Cup qualification. The CSA was claiming poverty at the time, but still, that's a shoddy excuse. Who knows, maybe we could have won 98 too?

It was definitely a moment I'd nominate for the our version of the Aussie's top 10 moments of shame.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

To make matters worse, Jamaica promised that as a "thank you" to us, they would play us in a friendly prior to the World Cup, at around the same time we played Macedonia. But the friendly never happened as Jamaica basically reneged on their promise. I disliked Jamaica before & liked them even less after that. But the CSA should never have agreed to it in the first place - they had a fine (and successful) interim coach in Bruce Twamley who could have prepared a team for the Gold Cup - which couldn't have done any worse than the previous 3 Gold Cup appearances for Canada (all of them 1st round eliminations for Canada).

For me, those were the waning moments of the "bad old days" for the national team.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Kinda reminds me of how we bowed out of this year's WWC hosting race. Maybe not a huge deal overall but once again we step back and let others have their day.

Hmm, then there was Copa America 2001. Okay, I don't want to start this up again, but yet another case of us backing away. Perhaps in this case the reasons were solid but why must this be a recurring theme?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Kinda reminds me of how we bowed out of this year's WWC hosting race. Maybe not a huge deal overall but once again we step back and let others have their day.

Hmm, then there was Copa America 2001. Okay, I don't want to start this up again, but yet another case of us backing away. Perhaps the reasons were solid that time around but why must this be a recurring theme?

I don't think we had any real choice in stepping back from the WWC. I am absolutely certain that the americans didn't want us involved for a multitude of reasons. And after it was presented to the CSA by CONCACAF, they realized they weren't gonna get a piece of the pie, so why squabble in public? There would be nothing to gain from it. I hope they got some sort of a trade off for withdrawing.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Archived