Jun 28 - Vancouver vs. Toronto - Voyageurs Cup [R]

DJT

Vancouver 1 Toronto 2 - about 60 minutes in

Evidently I was wrong in the last post, it couldn't have been the end of the half because Vancouver got their goal in the 33rd minute, a PK by Heald.

No doubt Ryan Lucas got both goals to make me eat my words in another thread in this forum. :)

Its home field disadvantage for the Lynx this season.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

It was Ngon with both goals:

Ngon leads Toronto over Vancouver 2-0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, June 28, 2003 - Toronto Lynx News Release - www.lynxsoccer.com

VANCOUVER, BC -- The Toronto Lynx continued their winning ways away from home tonight with a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over the Whitecaps in Vancouver. The Lynx were lead offensively be striker Ali Ngon's two goals.

The Whitecaps opened the scoring in the 33rd minute on a penalty kick by midfielder Oliver Heald, but the Lynx stormed back before the end of the first half and took the lead for good through Ngon's goals in the 39th and 43rd minutes.

The victory raised the Lynx record to 5-6-3 on the season, but an impressive 4-3-1 away from home.

Ngon's two goal performance was the first multi-goal game by any Lynx player this season and gives him a team-leading 4 goals and 10 points.

The win vaults the Lynx into sole possession of fourth place in the A-League's tough Northeast Division with 18 points, 9 points behind division leading Montreal and 8 points behind second place Rochester for the final playoff spot in the division and two back of Syracuse.

By beating Canadian rival Vancouver, the Lynx also move into second place in the Voyageurs Cup race to crown the unofficial Canadian champion with a 1-1-0 record. The loss drops Vancouver to 0-2-0 in the Voyageurs Cup. Montreal still leads the way with a 3-0-0 record; Calgary has yet to record a point and sits at 0-1-0.

The Lynx continue their swing through Western Canada on Tuesday when they battle the Storm in Calgary in a special Canada Day matinee game with kickoff at 3:30pm EST.

Match Report

Scoring Summary

VAN: Heald (pk) 33

TOR: Ngon (Hughes) 39

TOR: Ngon (Vignjevic) 43

Cautions

TOR: Vignjevic 59

VAN: Lyall 40, Thompson 49, 89, Sulentic 67

Ejections

TOR: None

VAN: Thompson 89

Lineups - Stats >>

Attendance: 4,052

Referees: Calvin David, Simon Fearn, Joe Branco, Mauricio Navarro

it wasn't mentioned here but toronto traveled to vancouver THAT AFTERNOON. this MUST change. the a-league is just embarrassing itself. what kind of preparation is that for a professional team!? i can understand youth teams driving 4 hours in the morning to play in the twilight, but c'mon. this is ridiculous. and i am a vancouver fan!

i am becoming more and more frustrated with this bull****e league. it's absolutely bollocks.

ngon had better be in europe later this year. like, september he had best be on his way or he'll turn into another jason jordan/alfredo valente.

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

I cannot believe that CP did not have an article on this match. This weekend they had articles on Rochester vs. Montreal and Calgary vs. Portland, but had nothing on this all-Canadian rivalry. That's absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps I missed it --- and please let me know if I have --- but I checked all the sources I know that post CP articles and found nothing.

The only thing I found beyond the teams' reports was this day-late Vancouver Sun article posted below --- but it refers to Ali Ngon as a "Cameroon striker"!!! Also, disappointingly we're still getting no Voyageurs Cup mentions anywhere in Vancouver beyond Krammerhead and WFP (contrast with Montreal, where we've even been on RDS and CKAC).

Lynx counter attack too much for Whitecaps

Toronto plays perfect road game to send Vancouver back to .500

Dan Stinson

Vancouver Sun

Monday, June 30, 2003

With Canada Day and the state of the Vancouver/Whistler 2010 Winter Olympics Games bid looming on the horizon, the Vancouver Whitecaps were aiming to get an early start on 'patriotic fever' week Saturday night.

But the virus they caught left them feeling achingly ill.

Facing a Toronto Lynx team that came to Swangard Stadium with an A-League-worst 10 goals in 13 games, the Whitecaps suffered their most frustrating loss of the season, 2-1, and can only hope they have better luck finding net when they play host to the Portland Timbers on Tuesday.

"Their counter-attack game was played to a 'T,' " veteran midfielder Steve Kindel said of the opportunistic Lynx, which put nine players behind the ball on each loss of possession. "They defended in numbers and played the perfect road game. They were under no obligation to entertain the crowd."

The Whitecaps started promisingly enough. Midfielder Oliver Heald drove home his team-leading fifth goal of the year on a 33rd-minute penalty kick after fellow linkman Johnny Sulentic was brought down in the Lynx area by defender Joe Mattacchoine.

But counter-attack goals by Cameroon striker Ali Ngon in the 39th and 43rd minutes -- with Whitecap defenders at fault on both occasions -- settled the issue and brought a scattering of boos in the crowd of 4,052.

"We played to our system, which is basically taking advantage of mistakes," Ngon said as the Lynx improved to 5-6-3 in the Northeast Division. "When we didn't have the ball we put the Whitecaps under pressure by defending in numbers and forcing them into mistakes."

The most frustrated Whitecap was Niall Thompson, who got his 11th start of the campaign but is still looking for his first goal. The veteran striker pushed referee Calvin David and stalked off the pitch in a rage after receiving his second yellow card and a sending off in the 89th minute.

Left-side midfielder Alfredo Valente was the most effective Whitecap throughout -- most notably with some quality crosses to Thompson and Sulentic in the early minutes after kickoff -- but Valente's efforts were in vain as most shots were well off target.

Undefeated in their previous three games, the Whitecaps were coming off an impressive 1-0 victory over the Seattle Sounders on June 20.

"We were a shadow tonight of what we were against Seattle," said Whitecaps' head coach Tony Fonseca. "But, honestly, I don't have many complaints. We played with confidence and created more than enough scoring opportunities to win decisively.

"Both of Toronto's goals came out of nothing -- they were just sitting back in numbers and waiting to counter attack. You have to be patient against a team like that. I would have been much more concerned if we hadn't created scoring chances tonight."

The loss dropped the Whitecaps' record to 5-5-3 and they go into Tuesday's 7 p.m. kickoff level on points with the 6-7-0 Timbers. Both teams have 18 points and are tied for second place in the Pacific Division.

GOAL DUST: Whitecaps' defender Nico Craveiro, who cleared a Lynx shot off the goal line in the 40th minute, was forced to the sidelines with a groin injury in the 70th. ... Veteran Canadian international striker Carlo Corazzin, who was signed by the Whitecaps last Thursday, is eligible to play Tuesday. He sat out Saturday's game while waiting international clearance.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

Also, disappointingly we're still getting no Voyageurs Cup mentions anywhere in Vancouver beyond Krammerhead and WFP (contrast with Montreal, where we've even been on RDS and CKAC).

I think if you want coverage you should give them a call, or if you have someone in Vancouver helping out have them do it. Better not to complain but to prep for the next relevant game for Caps, for example. It is not a bad idea to let them see the Lynx press release, which calls our little Cup "the unofficial Canadian championship". Journalists can be copy cats, but not if forced to do so.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think if you want coverage you should give them a call, or if you have someone in Vancouver helping out have them do it. Better not to complain but to prep for the next relevant game for Caps, for example. It is not a bad idea to let them see the Lynx press release, which calls our little Cup "the unofficial Canadian championship". Journalists can be copy cats, but not if forced to do so.

Well, we do most of this stuff already, but we will try to do more. I don't want to go on too much about this, especially in public, as my purpose is not to attack, just to express some disappointment relevant to what is going on elsewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I cannot believe that CP did not have an article on this match. This weekend they had articles on Rochester vs. Montreal and Calgary vs. Portland, but had nothing on this all-Canadian rivalry. That's absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps I missed it --- and please let me know if I have --- but I checked all the sources I know that post CP articles and found nothing.

The only thing I found beyond the teams' reports was this day-late Vancouver Sun article posted below --- but it refers to Ali Ngon as a "Cameroon striker"!!! Also, disappointingly we're still getting no Voyageurs Cup mentions anywhere in Vancouver beyond Krammerhead and WFP (contrast with Montreal, where we've even been on RDS and CKAC).

Can't blame the sun for being a day late, the game was Saturday night and the Vancouver Sun doesn't publish on Sunday.

Also if you are sending your press releases to Alan Douglas, he's no longer a Whitecaps press guy. You'd have to send them to Colin Metcalfe. He's an asshole though, so he might just ignore them.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Can't blame the sun for being a day late, the game was Saturday night and the Vancouver Sun doesn't publish on Sunday.

That's okay. The really big deal was no CP report, whoever's fault it was (...well, the "Cameroon striker" part was irritating, too).

quote:Also if you are sending your press releases to Alan Douglas, he's no longer a Whitecaps press guy. You'd have to send them to Colin Metcalfe. He's an asshole though, so he might just ignore them.
That's odd because the Whitecaps told Matt that we should send them to Alan. And he replied to my mail sent to his Whitecaps address. I sent him another message asking him about this so we'll see what he says.

That's okay. The really big deal was no CP report, whoever's fault it was (...well, the "Cameroon striker" part was irritating, too).

That's odd because the Whitecaps told Matt that we should send them to Alan. And he replied to my mail sent to his Whitecaps address. I sent him another message asking him about this so we'll see what he says.

Thats odd. Alan always made a big deal having more time to run his own business now he no longer had official Whitecaps duties. Also the USL official site lists Colin Metcalfe as the Whitecaps public relations contact. The Whitecaps site lists Colin Metcalfe as "Whitecaps communications".

Starting last week the Shaw Cable here in Vancouver are showing game of the week highlites, an hour long show paid for and produced by the Whitecaps. Basically it's play by play by Paul Dolan and colour commentary by some guy (who's name eludes me) edited to under an hour.

Anyway tonight they showed the Lynx-Vancouver tilt and Paul Dolan and the colour guy did mention everything about the Voyageurs cup and explained the whole thing in detail and said how great they think it is.

Just thought I'd let you know.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Starting last week the Shaw Cable here in Vancouver are showing game of the week highlites, an hour long show paid for and produced by the Whitecaps. Basically it's play by play by Paul Dolan and colour commentary by some guy (who's name eludes me) edited to under an hour.

Anyway tonight they showed the Lynx-Vancouver tilt and Paul Dolan and the colour guy did mention everything about the Voyageurs cup and explained the whole thing in detail and said how great they think it is.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks a lot! The show sounds great, as does the Voyageurs Cup coverage. Paul has been really great about it (too bad the game against Montreal on FSWC had technical difficulties because he was going to talk about on there once again).

Archived