Winnipeg Sundogs

Damian Rock (sp?), one of the principal figures in the Winnipeg Sundogs organization, was interviewed for about 20 minutes in Prime Time Sports tonight on CJOB. The most interesting points were in regards to the Sundogs' application process to the USL. Apparently, there is pressure from the USL to apply for an A-League team instead of the PDL franchise that Winnipeg is currently targetting.

Rock also mentioned Moreno Alberti, a 16-year old who has 4 of the Sundogs 5 goals in their 4 exhibition matches. The first two home matches are this weekend.

Why not?

Those in the USL must feel Winnipeg could support an A-League club. Certainly not any worse, and probably a hell of a lot better than a great many of the other clubs out there right now. ****, if the City can keep Goldeyes crap, no-name, baseball prospering there has to be a market for minor league sports. The Goldeyes example is a little simplified but the point is still valid.

Comes down to a question of money I guess and who's willing to stick their neck out. Just isn't corporate support for football in this country outside of the the National Womens Team. No television revenue so it's pretty much 100% gate financed. Couple, three thousands I can't imagine would be enough to carry close to the million dollors budget an A-League club needs (guessing here).

Some scary ghosts still haunght Winnipeg's football circles. There are people we'd need to make a community owned club work at an A-League level who wouldn't come within 10 yards of a new venture. So unless the USL dreamers and schemers think they can find a whole new fresh face with deeper pockets, they'd better throw their support behind a PDL side and hope it grows beyond their wildest imaginings.

P.S. Don't think Sundogs football well bring the casual fans out on a regular basis. Unless I'm wrong about my guessing of the quality. Novelty well play a factor this summer but that only lasts so long.

"Minority of one"

That would be odd if the USL is indeed pushing for a Winnipeg to go to the A-League. The main difference between the PDL and A-League other than the level of play is of course that the PDL is largely amateur. The Sundogs are working on a budget that involves not paying their players and the USL is asking them to move up and pay A-League salaries? It makes no sense.

Let the Sundogs play in the PDL and maybe they will eventually join the A-League.

quote:Originally posted by ray

That would be odd if the USL is indeed pushing for a Winnipeg to go to the A-League. The main difference between the PDL and A-League other than the level of play is of course that the PDL is largely amateur. The Sundogs are working on a budget that involves not paying their players and the USL is asking them to move up and pay A-League salaries? It makes no sense.

Let the Sundogs play in the PDL and maybe they will eventually join the A-League.

Hear,hear!

I think the Winnipeg Sundogs should star in the PDL and only after 5 years go for the A-League using the PDL club as a reserve team. Let's avoid another Calgary Storm, where they moved up to the A-League too fast.

Just a thought.

quote:Originally posted by Impact supporter

Hear,hear!

I think the Winnipeg Sundogs should star in the PDL and only after 5 years go for the A-League using the PDL club as a reserve team. Let's avoid another Calgary Storm, where they moved up to the A-League too fast.

Just a thought.

I agree with the sentiment and thoughts behind it but five years is a little excessive. I think three years would be sufficient if you had a strong tie into the local network or your own feeder system. Would also give the front office a chance to build a strong foundation for when they make the jump (the Storm's biggest failing). Having watched A-League I have had a hard time going back and watching the PDL - it's like trying to watch what they brought in and call baseball here after the Cannons, Little League holds more attention for me. If Edmonton does well, I hope that'll be enough of a footprint that Sportsnet or TSN might broadcast the odd Voyageur Cup match at which point Winnipeg soccer fans will be going "Why aren't we there?" and then they won't be at the stadium if they don't see light at the end of the tunnel.

quote:Originally posted by Impact supporter

Hear,hear!

Just a thought.

I don't know. It kind of hard to test the waters sometimes isn't it? Educated guess here, a guess just the same but I'd suspect that there are a lot of people who'd support an A-League (or better) level of football in this city who'd nearly never come out to watch a PDL or MMSL match no matter how cheap. That being said it must be difficult to guage the support an A-League club might draw by looking at PDL success or failure. Player's familys, friends, etc, who're interested in watching Sundogs football might be less willing to catch an A-League match at two or three times the price when they don't have that direct interest. Could also eliminate the "cheap afternoon with the kids, somewhat interested because little joannie player soccer this summer" crowd as well. So from whatever bunch it is that goes out to the Sundogs' matchs who can you expect to evolve into a potential A-League supporter?

Well, that's my ramble. The long and short of it is I don't think PDL success or failure can be used to measure potential A-League success in this city. I know A-League football well do far better than any PDL enterprise. Geezus I hope the Sundogs have wonderfull success though because a lot of people would become encouraged by it (rightly or wrongly) and we just might see an A-League club in this city yet.

P.S. Timing is hugely important here. Edmonton has got it right. They'll have that opportunity to use novelty, WC qualifying, and hopefully Germany2006 to really sell the game up north and sustain the club and local interest in football. Would the CSL be here today had Canada managed to qualify in '90?

"Minority of one"

Sorry, forgot one thing.

Saturday vs Sioux Falls at Eastside Eagles Football Field, 7:00 pm kickoff. Bring an umbrella, they say we might have rain.

For those unfamiliar with this part of the city's east end some general information.

Eagles Football Field is tucked in between Kildonan East High School, Kilcona Pool, Terry Sawchuk Arena and Valley Gardens Community Club. Parking is shared with KE high school and the main gate access' the parking lot "behind" the school. Travellers from the west simply need to find their way onto Kimberly and go east. Kimberly runs from Henderson and eventualy ends right in Kildonan East's parking lot (corner of Kimberly & London).

Those coming out of the south just need to scoot up Lag. Blvd to the Concordia turnoff. The second stop sign PAST(west of) Concordia hospitol is London. You'll see the high school on the corner. Turn right towards "titty hill" (you'll know what I mean when you see it) and take a RH turn into the school parking lot.

Hope that helps.

By the way, Eagles Football Field is fake turf but pretty good stuff all the same. Soft enough but the ball is going to run on that surface as there isn't any "grass" as you see with FieldTurff or the AstroTurf Plus at the stadium. Otherwise it's a bigger community club sort of facility with a wooden grandstand, track, etc. Could seat I'd guess 1,000-1,200 with plenty of room to stand around the pitch as usualy. Was put down for the Pan-Am games for field hockey and is shared pretty equaly between the two sports.

"Minority of one"

I thought I read that some of the clubs in the PDL division that Winnipeg is applying to did not want to make the long road trip, since they are even further outside their geographic footprint than Thunder Bay.

I was thinking if Saskatoon put a PDL side together, and the Edmonton expansion group was also willing, a Prairie PDL division could be set up with Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg. Maybe a city or two in Montana, the Dakotas, or Minnesota would consider applying to this league, since the travel costs would be reasonable, and a new geographical area is opened up.

I think 4 or 5 teams would be enough to reach a critical mass for this to happen. It would cut down on travel costs for Calgary and the other Pacific Northwest clubs as well.

BTW, I think Winnipeg fans would be fine with PDL soccer for a couple of years. In Calgary, we were happy enough with a good side playing quality soccer even if they were playing Yakima and Spokane. It was clear that to attract a broader audience, you need to be playing major markets. Keep in mind as well that the Heartland Division has clubs in Chicago, Kansas City, and St. Louis.

Jason

I thought I read that some of the clubs in the PDL division that Winnipeg is applying to did not want to make the long road trip, since they are even further outside their geographic footprint than Thunder Bay.

I was thinking if Saskatoon put a PDL side together, and the Edmonton expansion group was also willing, a Prairie PDL division could be set up with Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg. Maybe a city or two in Montana, the Dakotas, or Minnesota would consider applying to this league, since the travel costs would be reasonable, and a new geographical area is opened up.

I think 4 or 5 teams would be enough to reach a critical mass for this to happen. It would cut down on travel costs for Calgary and the other Pacific Northwest clubs as well.

BTW, I think Winnipeg fans would be fine with PDL soccer for a couple of years. In Calgary, we were happy enough with a good side playing quality soccer even if they were playing Yakima and Spokane. It was clear that to attract a broader audience, you need to be playing major markets. Keep in mind as well that the Heartland Division has clubs in Chicago, Kansas City, and St. Louis.

Jason

Winnipeg Sundogs-4 Sioux Falls Spitfire-3

Sundogs first victory during this PDL exhibition play. And all things considered didn't look too bad doing it. Was surprised to spy a few (apparently more than a few) Lucania regulars on the plastic last night along with Sokol's big front man Nolly Sanchez. Now I can say with allmost 100% certainty that a good part of this squad wouldn't be travelling with the Sundogs road team. Good to see the Clarke brothers still at it. Knew Desi was still kicking it about but didn't even recognise Paul untell Winnipeg Fury pointed him out.

Excellent evening for football. Rain had stopped hour before kick off, sun came out and the wind decided to give it a rest. Carpet was fast and wet and more than once an otherwise well weighted ball went bolling out to touch.

Nolly netted a pair for the Sundogs, the required header and a well poked left footer on a partial breadaway but was easily dangerous on at least two more trys. Subbed after 60 minutes and don't know if we'll see him this afternoon as Sokol play at Vince Leah at 5 o'clock. Cracking volley over the 'keeper by that Alberti kid (I think) after he'd managed to muscle his marker and break free a bit. Surprised the hell out of the Spitfire 'keeper that he was able to shrug off the defender so quickly and being caught out to sea as it were aliii ooop, should have stayed closer to your line and it wouldn't be 4-2 Winnipeg.

Two of the three Spitfire goals came off the right foot of this one big midfielder. One on an opening in play from 20 yards the other on a set play from pretty much the same position. Sorry, don't know his name but he also struck the crossbar on another set play. Quite the kicking boots the man was wearing.

Couple of hundred paying customers. Two fifty tops. Pretty bush league production and the wrong venue maybe but there you have it.

Replay today at 1:00. Cantina wasn't open yesterday so bring your own snacks allthough they did have some potatoe chips, and the barbeque going. Poweraide is a Sundog sponsor so if you want a pop (or a lager) you'll just have to bring your own.

"Minority of one"

And todays replay,,,

Winnipeg Sundogs-nil Sioux Falls Spitfire-nil

The wind, fast plastic, and small field really showed today as the Spitfire having adjusted to the grounds tightened up the midfield considerably and produced quite a defensive encounter. There can't be any questioning the fitness level of that Sioux Falls bunch. The more energetic side in both matchs and a considerably shorter bench than what the Sundogs were offering over the weekend.

A couple of good saves at either end and a ball off the Sundogs' upright kept the match goaless allthough the last 10 minutes of the match looked sure to provide a winner one way or another.

The Sokol players were indeed absent from the match. No Nolly and no Vaske and both men were certainly missed. Any club would miss the big Sanchez but center mid Vaske's play on saturday really stood out more so this afternoon as the Spitfire had the better of the play in the middle park and were really able to disrupt any buildup in the flow of Winnpeg's game.

The Alberti kid sub'd on again for the last 20-30 minutes of the half and while not especially standing out he was impressive in a fashion. Very confident, nimble fellow not afraid to hit a ball (with some skill I might add) and strong fighter for a ball. Worth keeping an eye on in the future. Runs with his head up (usualy to goal), and looks to have a good offensive vision. Hope he progresses to a higher level.

Smaller crowd today. Hundred and change adults I'd say. One hundred fifty tops. Better organised today as well. Doyle from the Sun was at the match as was CKY TV. Must be a slow weekend in sports.

Next match is at Pan-Am Stadium on the U of M campus against the Thunder Bay Chill July 8th. 1 o'clock kickoff.

"Minority of one"

South east corner of Wilkes and Waverlay and on a guess I'd say 3,500-4,500. Somewhere in there about anyway. Re-seeding the complex pitchs this year apparently, so no football there in 2003. Vince Leah is a lot closer for me anyway but they've no grandstand there and only wooden bleachers. Still, get a few bodys out to spectate at Vince Leah surprisingly.

"Minority of one"

Last home friendly for the Sundogs tomorrow at Pan-Am Stadium on the University of Manitoba Campus. Think it's called University Stadium these days but you get the picture. Kickoff is 7:30 against the Thunder Bay Chill. Can't miss it, the grounds are right on Chancellor Matheson Road with parking a-plenty south of the stadium and along the roadway. Or there used to be. It's been a long, long, time.

Good grandstand, nice sized pitch, and pretty fair facilities all around unless decay has taken over these past dozen years. Find out for certain tomorrow.

Expect to see the "senior" Sundogs side tuesday. That is to say largely the Lucania bunch with a couple of Sokol's starting 11 joining the mix much as was seen in the earlier friendlys at Eagles Football Field. Hoping some others from the Premiership have taken the plunge and maybe given the Sundogs a go. Course it's up to Paul Clarke what team he fields and maybe last go around no one else impressed enough to get the call. Who knows? We'll have to wait and see.

Apparently Thunder Bay fields a pretty senior bunch as well. The PDL can grant age exceptions to teams which apply for them. Thunder Bay being the town it is I don't think anyone expects The Chill to be able to field any sort of competitive side using their local under 23s.

Anyway, if The Chill do as well as the Spitfire I'll be impressed. Off to Shannon's Irish Pub (on Kennedy? A little down from Thomas Hind's, across from the convention center) for a quick pre-game warmer upper with a couple of friends:D. They're one of the sponsors for the Sundogs and as I've never been there am keen on having a look about. May make a post game appearance but that'll depend on a DD and the sitter:(.

"Minority of one"

Well you know you're having one of those days.

Previous post total fu'k up. Hope no one reads my nonscense. Kickoff was @ 7 o'clock and as I was late getting out of work totaly forgot to correct that bit yesterday as I caught the mistake at my end at the last minute. Wait it gets better. Sometime during the last week the Sundogs-Chill match had it's venue changed from Pan-Am Stadium (way the hell the other side of town) to Vince Leah (couldn't be much further away from Pan Am Stadium and still in the city).

Well imagine my surprise. Nice to see the old stadium, but. Looks in great shape still. Pitch was in good condition, just weren't any players on it. Bit of construction on campus as well. Honestly, excepting the short field and track it's a great venue for football. Can't wait to catch some games there in the future one day.

So sorry a-gin to anyone who showed up at the Stadium last night on my silly advise. Should have checked the Sundogs website earlier rather than later.

P.S. Shannon's is nice. Spent a little more time there than expected due to lack of footy entertainment last night for above mentioned reasons. Missus wants to go again. Good service, traditional Iris pub decore. Couple of 8-ball tables and dart boards for those so inclined and the kitchen has a good reputation apparently. Couldn't say though as we only had chicken fingers, hard to get that wrong. Guinness on tap!

"Minority of one"

Archived