West Ham's David James to Miami Dolphins

Jarrek

NFL try-out for England keeper James

David James will get a chance to prove his American football credentials when he joins up with the Miami Dolphins later this month.

The England goalkeeper will join the NFL squad at a training camp on June 24 where he will be put through his paces as a quarter-back, wide receiver and kicker.

West Ham goalkeeper James said: 'I am delighted to have been invited - it's a great opportunity to learn about more about the sport, and put myself up against some of the best athletes in the world.

'American Football has always shown the way forward in terms of conditioning and performance and I am keen to apply any tips or insights that I can gain to my career as a professional footballer.'

And the NFL's leading scout in Europe, Tony Allen, believes James has all the credentials to make it in American Football.

He said: 'David is exactly the kind of European sports star who we feel has the all-round athleticism and ability to hold his own in the NFL.

'It will be interesting to see him being put through his paces. As we step up our search for European athletes who can develop into potential NFL players, we are excited about the Dolphins giving us the opportunity to showcase a sportsman of his physical ability in an NFL environment.'

This is like Gaddafi Jr. trying out for Perugia, a publicity stunt. It's the silly season for soccer. The NFL is considering trying to put another "NFL Europe" team in London again (they had one before, and still have a team in Glasgow), or in Luton or Birmingham. They are also considering setting up a full franchise in England. It also helps to sell tickets locally...there are a lot of soccer fans in Florida. James might be able to convert to placekicker, but "quarterback" and "wide receiver"? Givemeabreakkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by beachesl

This is like Gaddafi Jr. trying out for Perugia, a publicity stunt. It's the silly season for soccer. The NFL is considering trying to put another "NFL Europe" team in London again (they had one before, and still have a team in Glasgow), or in Luton or Birmingham. They are also considering setting up a full franchise in England. It also helps to sell tickets locally...

NFL Europe is a poor product for the fans, I can't figure why they come out. The players might be okay and the level acceptable, but they change the teams entirely every year with the exception of the odd local European player, and usually the coach (at Barça Dragons the kicker is Mariano Angoy, who was a Barça keeper and is in fact Johan Cruyff's son-in-law, married to his daughter Chantal; the coach has always been Jack Bicknell). So there is no or little continuity of identity, they are not really teams. They are names they throw bodies into and present each year as the "Team". 10 years of this now. But hell, since most draw more than MLS sides do there is obviously a market, and especially if they could make the product more serious.

There has been talk from the NFL to pull the plug on the NFL Europe excercise, as it costs the league (and therefore the NFL teams) hundreds of millions of dollars a year. NFL Europe has not become the great feeder system as was expected, and the popularity of the game in Europe has stagnated.

Pity, because it's the only "American" sport worth exporting.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Archived