Tam Nsaliwa + Daniel Fernandes

Tam has apparently signed. This is according to Olafgb, a very well respected and trusted bigsoccer.com poster who lives in Germany. Apparently he heard the news in the German media.

I wonder if Tam is one of those players that has (inadvertantly) caused the delay in the Canadian Gold Cup roster being released (tough for the CSA to get his release from the club before he actually signs with them). Now that he has signed, should we leave him with the new club?

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Transfermarkt.de has Nsaliwa listed with Jahn Regensburg's new acquistions. The two year contract surprises me but maybe the club impressed with their ambition. Interesting as well is that Michael Becker was also listed as the agent to Michael Ballack, Bernd Schneider, Miroslav Klose and Julian de Guzman. However, that was changed today (June 29)to Valery Velikow who represents a smaller number of players. I wonder if the delays related to actually getting the attention of the agent? Nonetheless, it still seems like he is getting good advice.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/index.html

Below is the information translated from that site

Name: Tamandani Nsaliwa

Date of birth: 28.01.1982

nationality: CAN

association: Jahn Regensburg

position: Centre zone position

Back number: 11

contract running time to: 2005

market value: 250.000

player advisors: Becker, Michael (revised to Valery Velikow June 29th)

Seems official to me

185-JAHNDIEN.jpg

It's done. Tam and the other new signings taken today I believe.

Daniel Fernandes is also signed for the Oberliga (reserve) team (same league that Tam played in two years ago with Nurnberg reserves). Jeffrey S may disagree with his choice; IMHO if he plays, it's a great move.

It doesn't sound as impressive as playing for Celta Vigo, but then Thunder Dan didn't really get a chance to do much of that anyway, probably why he left. I agree, get him some playing time.

Now we just need to get Wyn a new club.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Guest Jeffery S.

Thunder is signed for the Oberliga team. Well at least he should get some playing time, though I disagree with his decision. Even if he does get a jump up to the first team in the odd game. Just let me say that the man is not entirely convinced he's done the right thing either; I should have more info soon.

Playing time is the key I think. If Fernandez gets to play and get exposed to the Bundesliga scouts, it may not be a bad move. The concern I would have with Fernandez is the same as with Nsaliwa. Jahn Regensburg appears to be a team with big dreams. However while it is too soon to say, the club will be challenged to stay in the Bundesliga 2. If it holds its position in B2 and is able to solidify it, then these moves could be a "ground floor" opportunity given the plans that seem to be in the works (new stadium, etc.).

Failure to stay in B2 could put Nsaliwa back in the same position he was in with the relegation of Saarbrucken. Hopefully, he has an escape clause in that situation (don't know if that is common).

If you go to the news for the club in February, they have announced plans to build a new stadium for opening in 2006. The new stadium is said to have a seated capacity of 15,000 at the first stage of completion and will be part of a larger entertainment complex. The announcement was made with the Mayor of the City so I guess they have City support.

Also key is that they appear to have good fan support (highest attendance in the Regionaliga)and the fact that they are planning a new facility would suggest that their finances are in reasonable shape. That could mean that they are actually better positioned than many clubs going forward. I quess time will tell.

I would also say that there are a lot of crappy stadiums in Europe at the lower levels. But the one thing that amazed me is how good the pitches are in these stadiums...

Don't forget though, Saarbrucken was a team with big dreams too...

Lets hope this pans out. And let's hope Fernandes isn't pulling an Nsaliwa re: leaving a big club too early. I'm with Jeffrey - a decent move for Nsaliwa, but for Thunder Dan I'm not so sure.

Monday mornings 7 - 9: Wake up to African music on CFMU 93.3 Hamilton or cfmu.mcmaster.ca

Jahn Regensburg was reorganized into a club that has been promoted 3 times in the last 4 years. It takes a solid organization to start in Div 5 in 1999 and get to Div 2 in 2003/2004. Saarbrucken has largely been going the other way due to overspending when in Bundesliga 2 (they had something like 35 guys on the roster in 2001).

The name SSV Jahn 2000 Regensburg also supports that path. It tells me that they reorganized in 2000. My point is still that, strategically, they may be one of the few clubs with some resources now. Looking at the Bundesliga 2, I think there are some clubs with bigger problems.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Jahn Regensburg was reorganized into a club that has been promoted 3 times in the last 4 years. It takes a solid organization to start in Div 5 in 1999 and get to Div 2 in 2003/2004. Saarbrucken has largely been going the other way due to overspending when in Bundesliga 2 (they had something like 35 guys on the roster in 2001).

Guest Jeffery S.

Tam Nsaliwa scored in a pre-season match Jahn Regensberg won 10-0 vs. a lower division team, Walhalla. Think this was on the weekend.

The Amateur side won two matches over the weekend, only goal scorers mentioned, no word on whether Thunder played or not.

The Amateurs play in the Oberliga, which has 10 regional divisions. They are in Bavaria (Bayern). Some of the in principle better rivals are the Amateur sides of Unterhaching, Munich 1860, Guenther-Furth, plus what must be the third team of Bayern Munich (their amateurs are in Regionalliga). Only one side, the winner of the league, promotes to Regionalliga from what I can gather. Season starts on the last weekend of July.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

Actually FC Bayern Munich and FC Bayern Hof are quite different organizations. Hof is another small city in Bavaria and they have a team in the Oberliga Bayern. Bayern Munich has it's reserve/amateur team in the Regional League south; all other amateur teams of the Munich club are in youth leagues.

Guest Jeffery S.

Actually FC Bayern Munich and FC Bayern Hof are quite different organizations. Hof is another small city in Bavaria and they have a team in the Oberliga Bayern. Bayern Munich has it's reserve/amateur team in the Regional League south; all other amateur teams of the Munich club are in youth leagues.

Thanks Ed, so good to have you here to clear things up. I am wondering though if any top flight club has a third team in Oberliga for example. Another question: can a club's 2nd team promote into Bundeliga 2, or is there a limit? In Spain a few clubs have their C team in 4th tier, and 2nd teams on clubs can go up as high as 2nd division, as Malaga B has this year.

-Johan Cruyff

Most German teams have only one true reserve/amateur club which is designated as "Club name Amateur" if the club has its top team in Bundesliga 1 or 2, and as "Club name II" if the club has its top team below Bundesliga 2 (the only recognized 'professional' leagues). In the Oberliga Bayern there are several such 'amateur' clubs (note that the use of the word 'amateur' is misleading, like the CCCP 'amateur' teams): Greuther Fürth Am., 1. FC Nürnberg Am., 1860 München Am., Jahn Regensburg Am., SpVgg Unterhaching Am.

In the Oberliga Sudwest, where 1. FC Saarbrucken's reserve team plays, we see the use of the other naming convention as the 'top' team plays only at the Regional League level, FSV Mainz 05 Am., 1. FC Saarbrücken II.

And of course there wouldn't be a rule without an exception so the Saarbrucken club has a 2nd reserve team, 1. FC Saarbrucken III, which is highly unusual and is a result of an agreement between the club and a Japanese club to have a permanent training team in Saarbrucken.

Guest Jeffery S.

Great Ed, very clear. What do teams have after their 2nd side, junior under 19 or 18 squads playing a national junior league?

And one more thing just to be clear: an "Amateur" side CAN promote into Bundesliga 2?

-Johan Cruyff

Junior teams play in junior leagues. I am not sure but the U18s can play for 2 seasons it appears. I see that Jeremy Shepherd played U18 for Hertha Berlin last season but is down as a U19 for this season. They play in a regional junior league.

Hertha then has teams for each year U17 down to U8.

And an 'amateur' side (reserve for a Bundesliga 1 or 2 team) can never be promoted above Regional League.

Tam scored again yesterday for Jahn Regensburg, the crucial 10th goal in a nailbiter 15-0 win over Landesliga team Beucherling.

Tam scored again yesterday for Jahn Regensburg, the crucial 10th goal in a nailbiter 15-0 win over Landesliga team Beucherling.

Darn. I bet under in the Over-Under... [^]

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

-Rage Against The Machine

Hey, where is the ® for this thread? I was hoping to watch this match when I get home from work :D

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

Archived