Lynx-Rhinos May 19th (R)

1-1 draw. A much better effort by the Lynx & a far better game to watch than the previous two home matches - at least it was soccer, as opposed to rugby, that was being played.

The Lynx got ripped off in this match, Rochester tying the match late in the first half on a highly debatable penalty shot. The Lynx played the last 20 minutes of regulation time & the OT with a man down after Argentine striker Sebastian Barclay was sent off for his second stupid bookable offense of the match. Ryan Lucas scored for the Lynx very early on, on about his 3rd attempt at knocking the ball into a wide open net.

Most impressive for the Lynx today was young Canuck defender Tyler Hughes, who came on the field in the 2nd half. First chance I've had to see him play, he was solid & had good ball skills & is one of the few A-league defenders that knows how to clear the ball out of danger without sending it automatically out of bounds.

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Surpised to hear that attendance was somewhat low for a holiday.

Then again, not all people get Victoria Day off.[V]

What you see is what your pretty much going to get. I didn't see the official numbers yet for this game but from visual observation it looked very much in linw with what you'd get from a typical game last year. With the exception of teh Montreal game last year, there has been no really noticable spike or decline in numbers aside from perhaps poor weather conditions.

Unless there is suddenly a concerted efforted or new initiative towards marketing and publicity, I see no reason why we should expect changes in the numbers.

These numbers are pretty much consistent ( maybe even bigger) with what you'd get at St Michaels Majors games who play downtown. When you have a facility that consists of a field and grand stands and is located way out in The west end in an area not accible by public transit, those are good numbers when you think about it.

Concider the mediocre record, the fact that you miss the playoffs last year, little publicity in the media, the fact that ticket prices are up to 15$ (180$ for season tix),and the fact that the ownership group are not of the same name recognition as other ownership groups ( ie>;Eugene Melnyk - ST.M; Larry Tannebaum -Leafs; Ted Rogers-Jays; S Schwartz - Argos; Bill Watters-Rock). Take all this into recognition and I'd say the attendance isn't bad.

Tony

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I heard that the Lynx might be fined because of an incident with the ref after the game. Apparently some fans (or maybe one?) threw some water bottles (?) at the ref after the game.

Perhaps JayWay can clarify the situation. His comment on the old board seemed to imply that it was some Ultras who threw the water:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=4693&messageid=1053399859

Or perhaps it would be a good idea to delete that post!

If all of the witnesses present indicate that it was a Rochester fan that threw the water bottle (it was a 1-1 draw after all) do the Lynx still get fined?

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

This game is on Rogers Television right now. But, incredibly, the Lynx finally get a goal and Rogers misses it! They missed the first few minutes of the game because, according to them, it kicked off a bit ahead of schedule. I can see if it's a live broadcast and there's an early kickoff while they're in commercials, but the game is on tape delay! I mean, they didn't have the cameras set up a few minutes ahead of time?!?! This isn't going to help fans who are just discovering the team through these broadcasts. Is there a smilie for "shaking my head in disbelief"? I'll have to go with [xx(].

Archived