Canadian College Players

ATM

Hi, new to the forum.

I hope this topic is new to the forum.

I am wondering when the CPL will incorporate College Players in the Draft.

Not a fan of the draft, but why exclude potential stars cause they picked a different educational path. 

For example, Humber Hawks have Luca Uccello, former TFC 2 player. I am sure his is more then qualified to be in the mix for CPL draft. 

Any thoughts or insights as to why only U-Sports and not CCAA.

5 minutes ago, ATM said:

Hi, new to the forum.

I hope this topic is new to the forum.

I am wondering when the CPL will incorporate College Players in the Draft.

Not a fan of the draft, but why exclude potential stars cause they picked a different educational path. 

For example, Humber Hawks have Luca Uccello, former TFC 2 player. I am sure his is more then qualified to be in the mix for CPL draft. 

Any thoughts or insights as to why only U-Sports and not CCAA.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I can expand on the CCAA pipeline to the CPL this season.

Zakaria Bahous was the 2021 CCAA player of the year, this season he signed with Atletico Ottawa

Ousman Maheshe was the ACAC leading scorer this past season and just signed with HFX (then loaned to FC Edmonton)

CPL Ironman Luca Gasparotto now plays for Humber and was an all-Canadian

Of course, Mo Babouli & Raheem Edwards were earlier names that came through the Sheridan Bruins program before professional opportunities with TFC. There is definitely enough pedigree to include CCAA players in the draft.

I think the draft per se is more about publicity and the unique agreement allowing players to play pro and retain their university eligibility then finding the best players.   For example graduating seniors are not eligible for the draft.

With college programs having mostly 2 years eligibility it wouldn't work as well.

All players not drafted can always sign as free agents, maybe a better option.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Didn't know graduating students are not eligible. 

In the first year they were, but not anymore. I think they wanted to differentiate the contracts for players who head back in the fall vs. players that are completed school and able to play full-time.