RIP USA's USL D2 Operating In Canada - Fury Franchise Sold to Miami FC

Ottawa Fury FC sells USL Championship franchise rights to Miami FC

"Ottawa Fury FC, which suspended operations last month, has sold its USL Championship franchise rights to Miami FC.

After we announced our cessation of operations, discussions took place about our USL franchise rights and things progressed very quickly from there.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-ottawa-fury-fc-sells-usl-championship-franchise-rights-to-miami-fc/

52 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't understand why USL wants to compete directly in an MLS market.

Just speculation, but maybe because someone with enough money said “I want to put a team here”.

It’s not like there is a lineup of billionaires that are waiting in line to be told what city they are being assigned.

22 hours ago, narduch said:

I don't understand why USL wants to compete directly in an MLS market. 

But I guess they were happy to steal a NISA team. 

I doubt OSEG made much off of this sale. Probably a nominal fee and Miami relieves them from any outstanding burdens. 

A USL group that bid for the NASL Strikers old stadium in Ft Lauderdale against MLS's Inter Miami lost out, and now the MLS franchise that starts next year will play there (supposedly for 2 years but some think forever or as long as they last) and the Miami FC will be the team that actually plays in Miami proper. Will be very interesting to see how the USL franchise draws.

If the MLS franchise actually gets a new stadium built in a few years then its game over for USL in Miami.

Weakening NISA was surely an intention for USL.