Proposed USA competition in 2020

Lou

I'm still not quite sure why CONMEBOL is so eager to go head to head with the Euro.  I think the Copa should be a bigger tournament (and a bigger deal globally) than it is, but doing it at the same time as another major tournament doesn't make sense to me.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm still not quite sure why CONMEBOL is so eager to go head to head with the Euro.  I think the Copa should be a bigger tournament (and a bigger deal globally) than it is, but doing it at the same time as another major tournament doesn't make sense to me.

The same fears were expressed before the 2016 Copa which smashed all television viewership records for the tournament.  Truth is they actually complemented one another.  The fanbases are different and kickoff times did not overlap so neutrals/casuals could watch both.  The Euro matches ended when the Copa matches began.

17 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The same fears were expressed before the 2016 Copa which smashed all television viewership records for the tournament.  Truth is they actually complemented one another.  The fanbases are different and kickoff times did not overlap so neutrals/casuals could watch both.  The Euro matches ended when the Copa matches began.

Sure, though how much of this is attributable to simply having an expanded tournament and in the US?  And neutral/casuals could watch both, but how much did they?  That's a lot  of soccer to expect them to watch in a day/week.  

I guess where I'm going with this is could it be higher still if the same type of tournament was held at a different time of year/different year.

24 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, though how much of this is attributable to simply having an expanded tournament and in the US?  And neutral/casuals could watch both, but how much did they?  That's a lot  of soccer to expect them to watch in a day/week.  

I guess where I'm going with this is could it be higher still if the same type of tournament was held at a different time of year/different year.

There's a political angle to this as well.  The change was made when Infantino was pushing his global nations league plan.  The final 8 part of the competition would have occupied the summer of odd-numbered years.  I remember reading on Inside World Football a while back that Infantino was trying to get all continental cups moved to even numbered years to clear space.  Infantino seems to have backed off from the plan for now.

Archived