Proposed USA competition in 2020

Lou

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The arrogance...

So the USSF is acting like they are bigger than CONCACAF? According to this article, USSF is going rogue here.

Cutting off CONCACAF is a way to get the lionshare of the tickets sales and TV rights. That can't fly with FIFA and CONCACAF and even if it did get organized, I have doubts it gets sanctioned.

Good luck getting clubs releasing their best players for that tournament even if it they did it unsanctioned.

Hoping that the article is incomplete here

12 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I mean you'd think they'd one-up them by holding it May or something...not put it on the same time...

There's no way FIFA ever sanction it. This is just a money grab. I can't see PSG letting Neymar participate, same for Barcelona letting Messi go there

2 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This already happened in 2016 up against the Euros and was still a huge success.  

huh...I remember watching both those tournaments but had forgotten they held the same time..

Actually it looks like the Copa Centenario started a week before the Euros so I wouldn't be surprised if they did that again.

1 minute ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This already happened in 2016 up against the Euros and was still a huge success.  

2016 was also the Copa Centenario held in honour of 100 years from the original Copa America tournament which was held in 1916.  It was successful but it was also only supposed to be a one time tournament celebrating 100 year anniversary (which is also why many countries from CONMEBOL were more accepting of the tournament).  I'm not sure how accepting they will be for this format as it is considered a very prestigious tournament the the CONMEBOL countries.

You could see a watered down tournament like the Gold Cup historically became for every other tournament when top teams sent their 2nd tier players.

Is the plan to celebrate 104th anniversary now?

6 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

huh...I remember watching both those tournaments but had forgotten they held the same time..

Actually it looks like the Copa Centenario started a week before the Euros so I wouldn't be surprised if they did that again.

I should clarify. CONCACAF and CONMEBOL organized it last time and agreed to hold it in the USA. So all ticket sales we're split between Confederations.

According to this article, the USSF wants to negotiate directly with CONMEBOL directly to organize the tournament, implying cutting out CONCACAF. The revenue split would mean that SUM & USSF and CONMEBOL gets the lionshare of the profits here by cutting of CONCACAF. That's a very greedy, selfish and arrogant thing to do.

I'm hoping the article was poorly written or incomplete but that's how it's being framed. If not, getting this sanctioned will be tricky and if it isn't, clubs aren't risking their stars for this. It's a money grab

Concacaf Statement
“Concacaf is in receipt of the communication sent by the U.S. Soccer Federation to CONMEBOL Member Associations.  We view this opportunity positively as it is not intended to replace or substitute any future editions of the Concacaf Gold Cup and it complements our vision to continue providing opportunities for our Member Associations to play competitive football at the highest level.”

If this proposed tournament is a "friendly" one (ie. unofficial) and not intended to act as a continental championship then why would FIFA not sanction it? Countries put together Cups or small tournaments that get sanctioning, this is just a larger version of those.

19 hours ago, Ansem said:

Didn't know that missing the World Cup hit the USSF wallet this bad...

Since they are offering to underwrite the entire tournament for the 10 South American teams, it would suggest that their wallet wasn't hit that bad otherwise they couldn't afford to do this.

6 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

To me, it seems like the Americans want to take financial control of a tournament which undermines both the Gold Cup and Copa America.  I'd be very surprised if this happens.

I see it as an unfair advantage as they'll end up getting much more than what they put in than the other associations which they can pour within their programs to improve.

This should be under FIFA / CONCACAF control so the redistribution is even.

Clever move USSF, clever move 

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

I see it as an unfair advantage as they'll end up getting much more than what they put in than the other associations which they can pour within their programs to improve.

This should be under FIFA / CONCACAF control so the redistribution is even.

Clever move USSF, clever move 

They are creating a tournament and inviting teams, it's essentially a business venture. No one is forced to accept the invite and terms are likely negotiable so why would it be up to FIFA to distribute money that the USSF rightly earned?

Archived