Proposed USA competition in 2020

Lou

37 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'll play 

Who decides qualifications for CONCACAF teams? The USSF? How will they pick 6 nations?

Will clubs release their players for this?

Yes, it is their tournament they invite who they want.

Depending on the timing, ie. it falls in an Int'l window (June) or during the European off-season the players would be released. Only summer leagues like MLS would hold players back outside an Int'l window.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like an excellent idea, The Copa Centenario was a big success in terms of viewership among other things, This tournament which would be pretty much the second edition except you wouldn't call it the same name, maybe Panamerican ?

Would be a great challenge for Canada as All 10 CONBEMOL nations are competitive and I'd argue we could compete with the bottom 2 (Venezuela and Bolivia) 

Also pretty disappointing to say the least that Les Rouges didn't qualify for the  2016 tournament But Haiti and Jamaica did

IMO For CONCAF the 6 teams should be: USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras and Canada

*No Caribbean teams*  

11 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Sounds like an excellent idea, The Copa Centenario was a big success in terms of viewership among other things, This tournament which would be pretty much the second edition except you wouldn't call it the same name, maybe Panamerican ?

Would be a great challenge for Canada as All 10 CONBEMOL nations are competitive and I'd argue we could compete with the bottom 2 (Venezuela and Bolivia) 

Also pretty disappointing to say the least that Les Rouges didn't qualify for the  2016 tournament But Haiti and Jamaica did

IMO For CONCAF the 6 teams should be: USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras and Canada

*No Caribbean teams*  

*Remembers the age of Floro Ball*

rejected the invitation to a proposed Continental Cup in 2020. Dominguez’s letter cited a lack of FIFA approval for the new event, but also a preference to prioritize the Copa América, which is the oldest international soccer championship in the world.

But U.S. Soccer, frustrated by a lack of progress in talks for a combined international tournament, invited South America’s 10 soccer federations to take part in a 16-team championship held in the United States. 

I wasn't questioning it to be a prick but looks like Inwas right. The USSF went around CONCACAF to hold a tournament running at the same time as the Euro... There was no way that the best would play in it without sanctioning.

Lack of approval could mean they just haven't asked FIFA yet. If FIFA had rejected approval i doubt they'd even have been at this point. Anyways, the SA's weren't interested which is totally understandable. Hopefully the USSF goes ahead with a smaller tourney and gets a bunch of countries from all over the world and invites Canada (if not, fuck 'em)

somewhat disappointing. while they picked an awkward time to do it, having tournaments like this is good for the region. i hope they go forward, maybe with a smaller scale event (maybe 8 concacaf teams in a knock-out event).

On 2/26/2019 at 6:22 PM, Ansem said:

Didn't know that missing the World Cup hit the USSF wallet this bad...

$200m is reportedly what they lost out on when they missed the world cup last year.

USA already essentially owns the Gold Cup since they host it every iteration. Now they want to own not just their own confederation's championship, but the neighboring confederation's championship as well?

If there is going to be a Panamerican championship (which I would be fine with, and would love to have Canada in it) I want it to be done right. Both confederations agreeing to when it happens, how qualification happens, and a bidding process for hosting rights. Probably hosting rights rotating between a CONCACAF host one iteration, and a CONMEBOL host the next, etc.

On 2/27/2019 at 6:30 AM, jpg75 said:

If this proposed tournament is a "friendly" one (ie. unofficial) and not intended to act as a continental championship then why would FIFA not sanction it? Countries put together Cups or small tournaments that get sanctioning, this is just a larger version of those.

One of the problems with the proposal is that it is scheduled in a Copa America year. CONMEBOL is planning on having a Copa America in 2020 already and USA is trying to invite CONMEBOL to their house to play in a tournament at the exact same time. It seems incredibly arrogant to me.

According to Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Copa_América

"On 26 October 2018 at the FIFA Council meeting in Kigali, Rwanda, the request was approved for the Copa América to take place in even years, starting with the 2020 edition.[6] The tournament will take place between 12 June and 12 July 2020, the same dates as UEFA Euro 2020."

I'm in support of anything that gets Canada more competitive games.  Even if players choose to rest or clubs do not release players, we should be having these games to develop a bigger player pool.  Our current squad rotation seems to be between 20-25 players.

The less games we play, the less new players we get to see and to develop.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:01 PM, Kent said:

One of the problems with the proposal is that it is scheduled in a Copa America year. CONMEBOL is planning on having a Copa America in 2020 already and USA is trying to invite CONMEBOL to their house to play in a tournament at the exact same time. It seems incredibly arrogant to me.

According to Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Copa_América

"On 26 October 2018 at the FIFA Council meeting in Kigali, Rwanda, the request was approved for the Copa América to take place in even years, starting with the 2020 edition.[6] The tournament will take place between 12 June and 12 July 2020, the same dates as UEFA Euro 2020."

I dislike how they are playing a Copa America a year after this years. Just deflates the value of the competition. Of course, money was the motivator, but I would have liked to see a 5 year gap between tournaments 

CONMEBOL says last year they invited CONCACAF to send 6 teams to the next three Copa Americas (2020,2024,2028).  CONCACAF said no.  

http://www.conmebol.com/es/consejo-aprueba-realizar-copa-america-2020-en-sudamerica

I have to think they're squabbling over money and control. Vic spoke publicly in favour of CONMEBOL cooperation for a PanAm tournament when he was first elected and these talks have been happening for a few years. They both want it but on their respective terms.

^^And on that note, it will end in CONCACAF's power. 

US holds the treasures chest. With accessibility, elite infrastructure, the massive dispora, etc. etc. 
I think times people forget that in order for CONEMBOL to host events on CONCACAF soil, they'll need approval first.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

As per the link above, Copa America 2020 has been awarded to Argentina / Colombia. That ends that. 

I can see how they aren't interested in holding all the Copa Americas in the US, which is something the USSF was adamant about.

I think the us has the right idea though. It will never happen but Canada should put together a tourney together. We could make big $$$ if done right. Have it   In a region like say   Buffalo , Hamilton, Toronto   Ottawa ,  Montreal ,  Quebec City.  Via rail and or porter could put a package for fans.   Oh it’s time to wake up now , it’s the CSA 

Archived