Prediction Thread on When CPL Will Surpass MLS

Before a ball is kicked the CPL already looks better than MLS, at least at the time of the latter launching in 1996. The CPL has better kits, more creative team names, is FIFA compliant and follows the norms of global soccer, and now has a TV deal worth more than MLS  in the beginning and has potential to grow. And I feel like the CPL is better in tune with soccer fans and they're not making the mistake of going after casuals like MLS is still doing. So the CPL seems less gimmicky and WWE-like. So with some things the CPL is already doing better, whey do you expect the league to eclipse MLS in quality of play and reputation? I say in about 3-5 years optimistically if things to as planned. But realistically probably 10 years given that MLS hasn't folded yet or dissolved after NASL's wins their anti-trust lawsuit.

When CPL revenue exceeds MLS revenue.

MLS pulling in $3m USD per team per year from TV rights. CPL pulling in $15m per year for CPL, VCup, MNT, WNT all combined.

MLS average attendance more than triple what CPL would consider an outstanding success. MLS average ticket prices probably at least double those in CPL.

So not for the next 10 years anyway.

And I'm no MLS lover. In fact, I feel a little dirty now...

~~~

The deal will run from 2015 through 2022. ...

The three networks combined will put $90 million (USD) on the table each year. That's more than triple the current rights revenue of $27 million per year.

https://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/Live-MLS-US-Soccer-officially-announce-new-TV-deal-with-ESPN-Fox-Univision.html

~~~

MLS rejects $4 BILLION USD deal (over 10 years) that required pro/rel.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3164144/mls-rejected-$4-billion-media-rights-deal-that-hinged-on-promotion-and-relegation?src=com

Revenue and money =/= quality. MLS doesn't spend money wisely and instead of developing players and profiting from sales they overspend on over-the-hill superstars to get publicity and sell merch to casual fans. The CPL could be better than MLS if it focuses on developing and selling players consistently while investing in infrastructure and attracting young talents as a stepping stone to Europe or bigger leagues.

20 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

That was a stupid and clueless decision and shows how out of touch MLS really is regarding to soccer. Someone passionate about reforming soccer in the US offers a bigger contract than anything MLS has ever seen and they flat out reject it because they think pro/rel is evil. The CPL won't come close to this insanity, right?

9 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

That was a stupid and clueless decision and shows how out of touch MLS really is regarding to soccer. Someone passionate about reforming soccer in the US offers a bigger contract than anything MLS has ever seen and they flat out reject it because they think pro/rel is evil. The CPL won't come close to this insanity, right?

I'll get back to you when CPL has been offered such a deal.

10 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

There is an undeniable and close correlation between revenue and quality. The more you can pay, the better players you can get.

As salary cap increases the names of imports improve and the standard of play improves. Quality imports did a lot for MLS as they will for CPL, but for CPL to surpass MLS the clubs need to do a better job at developing players from grass roots to first team. There needs to be a constant supply of quality young Canadians

18 minutes ago, KW519 said:

As salary cap increases the names of imports improve and the standard of play improves. Quality imports did a lot for MLS as they will for CPL, but for CPL to surpass MLS the clubs need to do a better job at developing players from grass roots to first team. There needs to be a constant supply of quality young Canadians

Yes, exactly! The key to increased quality is better domestic players filling the squad, which means better youth development systems and that's I think one area Canada is improving more than the US, which we have seen MLS is sub-par at producing skilled domestics. You can't depend on expensive imports forever or you end up like the old NASL.

33 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I'll get back to you when CPL has been offered such a deal.

Actually Riccardo Silva's deal was for the entire soccer pyramid, not just MLS. He wanted his club, Miami FC to have more exposure and a chance to win promotion to play D1. This is someone who threw a load of money to have a soccer stadium named after him. I hope the CPL can get a more genuine deal than Silva.

Archived