Would a 4 Nations Tournament fly in Canada?

Robert

Let's make a deal. I'll look the other way on the men's failures if you use the ellipsis and relevant sections only instead of posting in multiple entire articles.

I'll break that down for you.

First, considering the number of female players and infrastructure they had compared to other countries before 2007, three bronze medals is a failure. WUSA and WPS were the biggest leagues in the world by far. The US had so many times the players other countries did and they had the premiere pro league and with a restrictive import rule developing their best players.

Second, they've won it once since 1999 when Michelle Akers and Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly were on the field. For all their money, their number of players and their pro league, the smaller better run countries and federations have been catching up and passing them. Like the Germans who have a better record in the Cup since the millennium. Or the Japanese who have similar in the past decade.

And let's not forget Canada, who for our 10% of the players and money have in the past half dozen years proven far more efficient.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vic said:

Let's make a deal. I'll look the other way on the men's failures if you use the ellipsis and relevant sections only instead of posting in multiple entire articles.

I'll break that down for you.

First, considering the number of female players and infrastructure they had compared to other countries before 2007, three bronze medals is a failure. WUSA and WPS were the biggest leagues in the world by far. The US had so many times the players other countries did and they had the premiere pro league and with a restrictive import rule developing their best players.

Second, they've won it once since 1999 when Michelle Akers and Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly were on the field. For all their money, their number of players and their pro league, the smaller better run countries and federations have been catching up and passing them. Like the Germans who have a better record in the Cup since the millennium. Or the Japanese who have similar in the past decade.

And let's not forget Canada, who for our 10% of the players and money have in the past half dozen years proven far more efficient.

Willing to put your money where your mouth is? Let's make a $10,000 wager on who will win the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup? You pick any country you like, and I'll pick the U.S.A. So, whose your pick, Vic?

Wish I had 10 grand of money lying around to gamble with but that's not me, I don't even buy lottery tickets.

How about this, if your beloved Americans win, I'll stop harassing you for harassing Peter Montopoli. And if someone else wins, you stop harassing him. Sound fair?

10 hours ago, Vic said:

Wish I had 10 grand of money lying around to gamble with but that's not me, I don't even buy lottery tickets.

How about this, if your beloved Americans win, I'll stop harassing you for harassing Peter Montopoli. And if someone else wins, you stop harassing him. Sound fair?

Chill. It was only a hypothetical bet. I ain't about making money off of Voyageurs. Besides, bwin Sports Betting has the U.S.A. favoured at 3.5 to win the World Cup, which is way better than even money!

By the way; Are you harassing me? Isn't that against the law?

Edited by Robert

The Americans won it when was hosted in USA and Canada, their only other win was in 1991 in the first tournament in China. Back in the amateur days.

slide_06.jpg

Seem to remember reading about teams on the men's side having a proven advantage when it was hosted in their confederation.

Just checked, of 21 World Cups, 12 of the first 14 were won by a team from the hosting confederation. And 6 of 21 have been won outright by the host nation.

French at home at 4.5 are quality bet too. Ranked top 3, stadiums and a country full of fervent fans, frequent majors bridesmaid, Lyon loaded with nationals and three Champions Leagues in a row, looking to become the first holder of both the men's and women's trophies.

4 hours ago, Vic said:

The Americans won it when was hosted in USA and Canada, their only other win was in 1991 in the first tournament in China. Back in the amateur days.

slide_06.jpg

Seem to remember reading about teams on the men's side having a proven advantage when it was hosted in their confederation.

Just checked, of 21 World Cups, 12 of the first 14 were won by a team from the hosting confederation. And 6 of 21 have been won outright by the host nation.

French at home at 4.5 are quality bet too. Ranked top 3, stadiums and a country full of fervent fans, frequent majors bridesmaid, Lyon loaded with nationals and three Champions Leagues in a row, looking to become the first holder of both the men's and women's trophies.

It's true, if the oddsmakers have got it right, then Match #46, at Parc des Princes, on June 28th, 2019, will be the prize ticket of this World Cup tournament. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 9:53 AM, Robert said:

As we enter 2019, New Zealand leads the way in Group E, having thus far announced 4 international matches in preparation for France 2019.

GROUP E

NEW ZEALAND:

Feb. 28th - Australia

Mar. 3rd - Argentina

Mar. 6th - South Korea

May 16th - U.S.A.

NETHERLANDS:

Jan. 19th - South Africa - the Netherlands 1-2 (Spitse and Miedema)

Feb. 26 to Mar. 6th - Algarve Cup - countries and matches to be announced 

CANADA:

Feb. 26 to Mar. 6th - Algarve Cup - countries and matches to be announced 

CAMEROON:

Dutch went up 2-0 on 20' and carried the play in the game with a number of players getting a full trial.

South African goal was a weak backpass to the keeper by a defender on trial.

Plenty of subs by both teams.

Lieke Martens (UEFA and FIFA player of the year in 2017) out after 30' with a hamstring issue.

37 minutes ago, Vic said:

Dutch went up 2-0 on 20' and carried the play in the game with a number of players getting a full trial.

South African goal was a weak backpass to the keeper by a defender on trial.

Plenty of subs by both teams.

Lieke Martens (UEFA and FIFA player of the year in 2017) out after 30' with a hamstring issue.

Are you in Kaapstad?

I wish I was in the most beautiful city in the world but I'm about 50 degrees Celsius in the arctic direction. The member associations were gracious enough to give their followers some details about the match.

It was called the Winnie Mandela International Challenge, nice little trophy and not bad attendance for a women's game in South Africa.

Third win for the Dutch against the South Africans in three years, the other two were 1-0 and 2-0 in 2016. 

Besides Martens there were a few other Dutch injuries who did not even travel including Daniëlle van de Donk got banged up in Arsenal training earlier in the week.

Two days before the game South Africa had a 3x30 training match against the Swedes (4-0 Sweden) and while we are playing Norway on Tuesday, will play the Dutch a second time which will be on Swedish TV and streaming.

Photos don't lie - the average height of a Dutch woman is four inches taller than a South African.

Banyana-Banyana-vs-Netherlands.jpg

Edited by Vic

24 minutes ago, Vic said:

I wish I was in the most beautiful city in the world but I'm about 50 degrees Celsius in the arctic direction. The member associations were gracious enough to give their followers some details about the match.

It was called the Winnie Mandela International Challenge, nice little trophy and not bad attendance for a women's game in South Africa.

Third win for the Dutch against the South Africans in three years, the other two were 1-0 and 2-0 in 2016. 

Besides Martens there were a few other Dutch injuries who did not even travel including Daniëlle van de Donk got banged up in Arsenal training earlier in the week.

Two days before the game South Africa had a 3x30 training match against the Swedes (4-0 Sweden) and while we are playing Norway on Tuesday, will play the Dutch a second time which will be on Swedish TV and streaming.

Photos don't lie - the average height of a Dutch woman is four inches taller than a South African.

Banyana-Banyana-vs-Netherlands.jpg

Thanks, Vic

The action is starting to heat up isn't it, when the tournaments start in a month things will really get going.

France lays down a marker today.

The US Soccer marketing team not used to dealing with losses are struggling with their 3 -1 loss to France today in front of a sold-out 23,000 in Le Havre on the English Channel. Meanwhile the FFF calls it a convincing and symbolic win.

American's were down 3-0 and scored in extra-time. 

thumb_263347_cms_new_large_article.jpeg

Jill Ellis played 20yr old Tierna Davidson, the NWSL #1 draft pick after choosing to quit university and become available late in the process.

Corrine Deacon called the extra-time goal a result of fatigue to the American press and their athleticism.

Stats:  USA/FRA
Shots: 8 / 14

Shots on Goal: 4 / 9
Saves: 6 / 3
Corner Kicks: 3 / 8
Fouls: 4 / 8
Offside: 4 / 2

Someone's pixelated video capture below of the first 17 minutes including the first goal where 20yr old Emily Fox (with just a couple caps) gets beat badly wide around the 8:15 mark. When the video freezes give it a couple seconds, it comes back and you can see the goal in the replay. Tierna Davidson came in for Fox just after the half.

Edited by Vic

WORLD: Friendly International Women
  20.01. 08:00 Portugal W Ukraine W 3 : 0  
  20.01. 06:00 Belgium W Ireland W 1 : 0  
  20.01. 03:35 China W South Korea W 1 : 0  
  19.01. 23:00 Romania W Nigeria W 1 : 4  
  19.01. 11:45 France W USA W 3 : 1  
  19.01. 05:00 South Africa W Netherlands W 1 : 2  
  18.01. 09:00 Italy W Chile W 2 : 1  
  18.01. 04:00 Montenegro W Bosnia & Herzegovina W 1 : 2  
  17.01. 10:00 Portugal W Ukraine W 1 : 1  
  17.01. 10:00 Spain W Belgium W 1 : 1  
  17.01. 09:00 Norway W Scotland W 3 : 1  
  17.01. 02:35 China W Nigeria W 3 : 0  
  16.01. 22:00 South Korea W Romania W 3 : 0  
  16.01. 08:00 England U19 W Norway U19 W 2 : 3  
  15.01. 08:00 Bahrain W Jordan W 0 : 1  
  15.01. 05:00 Palestine W Lebanon W 0 : 3  
  13.01. 08:00 Palestine W Jordan W 0 : 3  
  13.01. 05:00 Bahrain W United Arab Emirates W 1 : 1  
  11.01. 08:00 United Arab Emirates W Palestine W 0 : 0  
  11.01. 05:00 Lebanon W Jordan W 1 : 3  
  09.01. 08:00 Lebanon W United Arab Emirates W 2 : 0  
  09.01. 05:00 Bahrain W Palestine W 5 : 0  
  07.01. 08:00 Bahrain W Lebanon W 3 : 2  
  07.01. 05:00 Jordan W United Arab Emirates W 4 : 1
Edited by Robert

Caroline Graham Hansen (above) is shifty and exciting, a real player's player. Not a point A to point B type but has the subtleties of skill you usually only see in the men's game. Like most touch and not formulaic players she's a bit hot and cold, when off she can be blasé but when she's on is going to thrill everyone not just in the stands but on both teams. 

People are impressed by the Italians of late, something not seen in the women's game for decades.

There is also a list of international matches here as well as a list of European women's club friendlies.  I noticed Chile plays Catalonia tomorrow which is an interesting one.

• 6 months later...

The TSN’s all-women panel of Kate Beirness, Clare Rustad, Diana Matheson and Kaylyn Kyle on several occasions during France 2019, all spoke of the benefits that a 4 Nations tournament hosted in Canada would have. So why not CSA?

2TZ2MXMRNRBUJMFIPTKLVOPTFE.jpg

Edited by Binky