Janine Beckie Traded to Sky Blue

Patrick

6 minutes ago, rkomar said:

There was a tweet from NWSLTransfers a couple of hours ago saying:

TO BE CONFIRMED: Sarah Hagen or Janine Beckie could leave Houston, as they would be used as part of another upcoming trade.

It's pretty confusing at this point.

I think the one you mentioned was a re-tweet of something posted much earlier.  Several sites are now reporting the trade as a done deal.  I checked Janine Beckie's  twitter, and she is relatively active, but there's not mention of it there.  I know this was mostly a move to get Lloyd to Sky Blue, so I hope this isn't a bad thing for Beckie.  Whaddya think?

50 minutes ago, BreadBoy said:

Have heard that SKy has one of the lowest attendance figures, but too lay to look it up.

Here it is

Sky Blue is pretty low, especially when you look at the Portland Thorns (Sinclair's team), and well below average in the league.  It would be nice if the rumours of a Vancouver NWSL team come true and we could repatriate our WNT players here.  I'm sure they'd draw more than Sky Blue

^I think it's better   not to  repatriate our CANWNT players to a Vancouver- NWSL team  ( if it happens ) Maybe a few select players but not the whole national team. I think it would be in the interest of Canada ( the national team pool ) to maximize the number of women playing professionally -- to get that number as high as possible. Consequently, the CSA should try to keep the number of Canadians playing professionally  on US-based NWSL teams as high as possible even if it's still  through CSA allocations. Thus, whatever  number of pro contracts that  a Vancouver-NWSL team  could offer Canadian players , it would represent a net increase in the number of Canadian women playing professionally.  I do realize that a Vancouver-NWSL team would  want to put on a competitive product and there is  the other question; does Canada have enough players?

1 hour ago, tc-in-bc said:

it would represent a net increase in the number of Canadian women playing professionally.  I do realize that a Vancouver-NWSL team would  want to put on a competitive product and there is  the other question; does Canada have enough players?

For me, I think a higher number of WNT players in Vancouver would increase the probability of it succeeding, as well as making it one hell of a lot easier for the team to play together.  I'd have to go look it up to be sure, but I think there are only 13 Canadian players allocated in the NWSL so the numbers aren't high anyway, and I'm sure there are players like Sinclair who like the spot they are in.  If we do keep the number of Canadians on other NWSL sides there is the benefit of more non-import spots available on a team inside Canada, so there is that for your side of the argument.  Does Canada have enough players?  I think so. There have been a lot of players going through the team, players like Leon who still need to play and challenge for spot, something like a Vancouver team could keep them active.  It seems the NWSL has a lower age limit, but wouldn't it be nice if a player like Huitema could play, like a female Davies, assuming it could be done without blowing her NCAA eligibility?

Anyway, lots to think on but personally I'd love to take my daughter to a game every week or so and let her watch Janine Beckie play.  She already has posters of her on her wall and wears a pink under armour head band, so it would be just that much better.

7 hours ago, BreadBoy said:

is it normal for this many big name trades to happen?

I have no idea historically but I think the reason this happened is because the NWSL doesn't pay particularly well and big star players have better options in Europe.  Lloyd didn't want to play in Houston and took a lot of opportunities to miss playing for them.  As for Press and Kerr, apparently both were unhappy and possibly moving to Europe.  So the trade may make them happier or if not, then neither team lost much by trading them if they sign in Europe instead.  For Sky Blue, getting Lloyd may help with their attendance and she'll actually show up for them. 

• 6 months later...

I was only half listening to the beginning of the broadcast of the Sky Blue v Pride game today, when I thought I heard one of the commentators say something about Janine Beckie likely having played her last game for Sky Blue.  She's not in the line up for the game.  Anyone know anything more?  Did I mis-hear what was said?

25 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I was only half listening to the beginning of the broadcast of the Sky Blue v Pride game today, when I thought I heard one of the commentators say something about Janine Beckie likely having played her last game for Sky Blue.  She's not in the line up for the game.  Anyone know anything more?  Did I mis-hear what was said?

Looks like she's going to Europe. 

https://www.onceametro.com/2018/8/5/17654030/janine-beckie-reportedly-to-leave-sky-blue-fc-canada-adriana-leon-michaela-abam-thaisa-carli-lloyd

[ 1 ] A replacement for Nadia Nadim who abruptly left Man City after the ICC tournament.  Currently, Janine Beckie is the only Canadian playing in the FA Women Super League  ( the  top women's league in England  ) which is going full professional  ( all 11 team rosters  ) in 2018-2019 .

[ 2 ] More details:

Rich Laverty

Man City only approached Beckie a week or so ago. Deal was done last night in the USA. Beckie will join her new team mates at some point next week all being well.

Beckie's deal is a one-year contract. Cushing: “Janine is an exceptional player and her aptitude for scoring goals will give us an additional boost ahead of the new FA WSL season, which is going to be the most competitive yet."

With Janine Beckie's departure from the NWSL there are now only twelve  Canadians in the NWSL ( 10 allocated by the CSA )

By comparison, there are  eleven  Australians in the NWSL ( none of them allocated by   Football Federation Australia / FFA )

Archived