FC Edmonton 2016-17 Offseason

shermanator

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be a question when does another podcast? Is their sales team still in contact with soccer families or fans that came to fced games in fort mcmurray. I know the sales were terrible. That could be some extra tickets sold. Same thing for Red Deer soccer community? How active are they soliciting the soccer families from red deer or clubs to come to come to fced games? Getting Connor Mcdavid is own set of season tickets might be help.

18 hours ago, yothat said:

This might be a question when does another podcast? Is their sales team still in contact with soccer families or fans that came to fced games in fort mcmurray. I know the sales were terrible. That could be some extra tickets sold. Same thing for Red Deer soccer community? How active are they soliciting the soccer families from red deer or clubs to come to come to fced games? Getting Connor Mcdavid is own set of season tickets might be help.

Nerdy sounding of me, but I emailed the club a while back asking them a similar question. I live up here and have seen zero FC Edmonton anything since the game. Pretty much everyone from McMurray visits Edmonton a couple times a year, this should be  motivation for the team to have SOME type of presence up here.

I just moved up here. Seems like family oriented town. One of my co-workers kids soccer team is flying to Barcelona to go their academy. Seems to be Fced should have more of presence. Exactly lots of people in this town visit edmonton regularly on the weekends. 

Did you get any an email back??

1 hour ago, yothat said:

I just moved up here. Seems like family oriented town. One of my co-workers kids soccer team is flying to Barcelona to go their academy. Seems to be Fced should have more of presence. Exactly lots of people in this town visit edmonton regularly on the weekends. 

Did you get any an email back??

I received an email back from GM Jay Ball. My email was mostly about them increasing their presence in up here, and asked a few questions in that nature. his reply was that they had a few things planned out.

It would be in the clubs best interest to reach out to the surrounding communities.

16 hours ago, Steedman said:

I received an email back from GM Jay Ball. My email was mostly about them increasing their presence in up here, and asked a few questions in that nature. his reply was that they had a few things planned out.

It would be in the clubs best interest to reach out to the surrounding communities.

To be honest, I think the club needs to start doing more within Edmonton before they start worrying too much about going to surrounding communities.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, yothat said:

I'm iffy on the concept of trying to draw too much from cities outside of Edmonton, before the club has a more solid core of fans and support actually in Edmonton. There are a few people (at least one couple I know of) that come up from Red Deer regularly for games.

I'm also wary of trying to play off the Oilers too much. I think FCEd is doing some great stuff right now in terms of season ticket sales, and should keep on with that track. I do think that Jay has an awareness that there are quite a few untapped markets out there (like the post secondary crowd) and is looking to start up with those soon (he suggested as much on that last podcast). I think that trying to get in with the Oilers officially is going to be expensive, as there's no positive for the Oilers, aside from monetary value. Eskimos might be a better cross promotion in my opinion.

1 hour ago, jedinathan said:

To be honest, I think the club needs to start doing more within Edmonton before they start worrying too much about going to surrounding communities.

You're right, going in 7 years and only breaking a couple thousand tickets is pretty dismal. I really hope they can turn things around and get a crowd. I'd love to continue to see a couple games a year in Edmonton, hate to see them fold.

2 hours ago, Steedman said:

You're right, going in 7 years and only breaking a couple thousand tickets is pretty dismal. I really hope they can turn things around and get a crowd. I'd love to continue to see a couple games a year in Edmonton, hate to see them fold.

Yep. Been told many times that prior to Jay Ball coming on board, the club had burnt every relationship it ever had with any soccer group in the city. Obviously that was a priority with the club opening a store in a soccer centre, they've been working hard to connect to that market.

Even if they only have 1000-1500 season tickets sold, that should result in better crowds in 2017. If they can get 2-3000 season tickets then they're doing really good IMO.

Club announced that Allan Zebie, Dustin Corea, Sainey Nyassi, Nicolas di Biase and Nathan Ingham will return for 2017. No real game changers here, but a couple more starters from last year are back.

Curious to see what happens to Zebie in 2017. Miller said he had signed a player to replace Eckersley at LB, but Zebie did play some RB, and could stay there if the club doesn't re-sign Nicklaw.

http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2017/01/30/fc-edmonton-core-bolstered-by-five-additional-returnees

5 hours ago, jedinathan said:

Yep. Been told many times that prior to Jay Ball coming on board, the club had burnt every relationship it ever had with any soccer group in the city. Obviously that was a priority with the club opening a store in a soccer centre, they've been working hard to connect to that market.

Even if they only have 1000-1500 season tickets sold, that should result in better crowds in 2017. If they can get 2-3000 season tickets then they're doing really good IMO.

Eddies have to get back to averaging over 3K this year (2014 average was 3300 & 2015 3K+) and that should be the goal. They took a step back last year averaging just over 2K.

19 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Eddies have to get back to averaging over 3K this year (2014 average was 3300 & 2015 3K+) and that should be the goal. They took a step back last year averaging just over 2K.

100%. I was talking season tickets sold. Walk ups have always been decent for FCEd, hope they can keep a lot of those as well. If season tickets are around 2000, they SHOULD be able to average 3-4000

38 minutes ago, yothat said:

Sign Connor McDavid as the team Global Ambassador like the raptors did with Drake maybe there's another 500.. 

The would create some buzz

What I would love to see is Edmonton Sports teams getting over their own self importance and starting to promote each other freely. Its started, but its not as clear as it could be. Get FCEd players going to Oiler games and being highlighted. Get Oilers going to FCEd games and being highlighted. Cross promotion would go a long way to breaking down soccer nerds bad mouthing hockey, and of course, would go a long way towards more acceptance from hockey people to soccer (yes I know there's plenty that enjoy all sports... but unfortunately even more that don't).

Things like getting the ESG and the EO7 (Edmonton Oilers Seven) together and encouraging fans to join or stand with both would also help. Its going to be a long slog to get hockey fans to appreciate the atmosphere of a FCEd game  (I know, I was with the ESG when they did an Oil King game, and got called all kinds of names by a certain generation of fans), but the sooner sports teams realize that fans shouldn't be horded or played against each other, the better.

Wow that went off topic. Long story short, I like the concept, but I don't know if its worth it. If they could sign a few Edmonton icons (Don Iverson, McDavid, a few Eskies) and put together a nice flashy Edmonton-centric ad, I think it would do wonders. I love FCEd, but the quality of their ads is always lacking. Needs to be polished just that little bit more.

Archived