Non OPDL Players to National tryouts

mmd

re Woodbridge, yes their license was revoked (along with Nepean, Glen Shields and Kleinburg as far as I know).  There is an appeals process, but it sounds like an extreme long shot.

It is too bad regarding Woodbridge, but it was an open secret that they didn't take the standards (and warnings of non-compliance) seriously,  Yes, they have good players and good teams and are a club with a proud tradition, but I think the league does have some principal to stand on here - I don't have intimate knowledge of all their teams, but, as I say, it was something of an open secret that they didn't comply or care to comply.  Why, I don't know - seems almost childish.

The timing is also quite difficult - most teams will have most of their rosters set by Nov 30, so players looking to move might struggle to find a home for the 2017 season.

The other 3 clubs all struggled in different ways, so that wasn't a huge surprise. It should never happen to a club with the resources of Woodbridge and the league is certainly poorer with their absence.  

^I agree with everything that has been said here. Any ideas what standards they specifically didn't comply with? I heard it has something to do with their house league.

My sources also confirm Woodbridge, Nepean, Glen Shields, and Kleinburg. Unlucky for the players.

I get that the OSA has to stick to their guns here, but what I don't understand is why the silence? Why not have a press release if they really want to make an example of them? At least a post on their website.

• 1 month later...

I heard a rumour that Hotspurs appeal was successful and that their OPDL license has been reinstated.  Anyone know the status of the others?

It's got to be tough for them now though - I don't think they had many players trying out at some age groups to begin with, and those that did have probably moved to other clubs in the meantime.  I can't see where they will get players from at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 10:47 AM, Protega said:

I heard a rumour that Hotspurs appeal was successful and that their OPDL license has been reinstated.  Anyone know the status of the others?

It's got to be tough for them now though - I don't think they had many players trying out at some age groups to begin with, and those that did have probably moved to other clubs in the meantime.  I can't see where they will get players from at this point.

Seems so strange to me - no such issues with the BCSPL franchises in it's 5 or so years. Abbotsford "lost" it's franchise and it moved 20 minutes down the highway (meaning the region kept the franchise) but otherwise I am not hearing any issues re: standards not being met. (other issues yes!) ;)

Archived