I think the MLS needs a Super Cup

matty

So pre-season is around the corner and everyone is interested in seeing how teams mesh and how the youngsters do but aside from that there's not a lot of pizzazz. All of the friendly tournaments lack any sparkle. Who's actually excited by the SIMPLE INVITATIONAL? It might be annoying but I kind of want a Super Cup: MLS Cup vs S.S. vs. US Cup vs. Can Champ. Super Cups, while largely a novelty done for charity, do carry some weight as they are recognized as a proper cups unlike friendly tournaments and annually holding it at Toyota Park in Frisco could help bring attention to the future US Soccer Hall of Fame ,sorry but we all know it would have to favour the US. It could be the thing to give the MLS pre-season that extra little bit of magic in between the closing of the transfer window and opening day. Anyone else with me on this?

EDIT: It would be better than the All-Star Game at least

I like the idea, it would be a good way to get the season on a roll. 

The only possible conflict is how Concacaf Champions starts in and quite a few MLS teams tend to be involved. Starting the last week of Feb with quarter finals, that is 6 weeks of midweek games, into April. 

This year none of the four teams you mention (Portland, Red Bulls, Sporting KC and Vancouver) are in Concacaf Champions, but some year may be and would be stretched to play a match. Which is why probably, if it were to happen, it would be best as a single match, Cup vs. Supporter's Shield, on a preseason weekend.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This year none of the four teams you mention (Portland, Red Bulls, Sporting KC and Vancouver) are in Concacaf Champions, but some year may be and would be stretched to play a match. Which is why probably, if it were to happen, it would be best as a single match, Cup vs. Supporter's Shield, on a preseason weekend.

I Agree the CCL might be a conflict but I'm sure it could be sorted out but yea I could get behind what ever format they wanted to take if they did it. A single game between MLS Cup and the Shield winner would be nice but a double header of that and a Can-Am Super Cup over the pre-season weekend would make for a fun weekend in Frisco if partnered with the Hall of Fame inductions.

22 hours ago, TRM said:

Any team playing in CCL could be subbed for by the next highest team in league standings. I like the "4 on the floor" idea better than just 2 teams in a single match. Allow unlimited subs, etc.

A 2 day long thing with the four clubs like the Emirates Cup would be great and the unlimited subs is a good idea. As much as it bugs me, giving any team in the CCL the option to skip this tournament is what's best. Think I'll start a change.org petition about this because why not

EDIT: Here we go  https://www.change.org/p/don-garber-sunil-gulati-victor-montagliani-major-league-soccer-north-american-soccer-league-united-soccer-league-canadian-soccer-association-united-states-soccer-federation-let-s-create-a-can-am-super-cup?recruiter=346557156&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

You can't do unlimited subs, that is not serious, it is not even FIFA rules. You can't propose a serious cup and then say you are not even going to abide by FIFA norms. 

Then, if you have a sub rule that is for friendlies (what is it, six for national team friendlies), then you are not playing a final of a cup, you are playing a friendly. What sort of message does that send out?

There are cases when two teams have to go to Monaco to play the European Supercup and one may be in a qualifying round for Champions still; they work it out. Same for national supercups, often played in August. All teams that make a final in a pre-season simply have to fit that match and the prep for it into their preseaon preparation plans, simple as that. 

I personally think that playing a single match is better. A Cup for the Voyageurs Cup-Open Cup winners, single match, alternating year to year between the home stadium of the Canuck team and the home of the US team, with a strong sponsor. 

Archived