Over the past couple years I have been searching every nook and cranny of the internet for information on the Canadian Professional Soccer League.  Thanks in a large part to the Google Newspaper Archive, I have been able to piece together the results of all but one game and attendance figures for many of the games.  My hope is to write a book about this league which, while being a little more than a footnote in Canada's soccer history, is a cautionary tale with plenty of lessons to be learned.

While I have been able to find many articles relating to this league, I am interested in possibly hearing from fans who actually attended CPSL games that year.

If you have a story from the 1983 CPSL and would like to share it, I would love to hear from you.  Proper credit will be given should my project ever result in a book.  I would especially like to hear from people who were involved in the league and its teams.  It doesn't matter if you were a player, the GM of a team or a ticket seller.

A spoiler alert, the final CPSL standings on the RSSSF site are inaccurate.

A thank you in advance to anyone who is able to help me move this project along.

• 3 months later...

Yes so far it's only available as an ebook on Amazon. It is my hope that one day it might become a paperback if I can find a publisher prepared to take a risk with it. The thing is the league only lasted 73 days and tracking down players able to remember the story was onerous to say the least although several did share their memories with me. I've no doubt that there is more information out there to find out and hopefully this forum can be really valuable, particularly since I live in England. The book came out in February but I'd love to continue my research into this subject because frankly I found it absorbing. All help - programmes, memories, introductions to former players, articles, newspaper clippings - is gratefully appreciated with thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I just recently read this book and these posts. I enjoyed the read and it brought back many memories of this time.

I played for the Edmonton Eagles and collected many new articles and other memorabilia from this season. Back then, I would send everything to my father who put together a "scrap book" of my soccer days.

It wasn't until my father passed away and my mother recently advised me she still had that scrap book.

I don't know if either gentleman in this conversation are still interested in any of this, but I'm certainly willing to share this with you.  

• 2 months later...

Alan,

Thanks for posting and apologies for not seeing this sooner. I do believe my collaborator Ken Jamison has been in touch with you and you him but I have to say I too am very excited by your offer of allowing us to look at the scrapbook.

Elliot

Archived