Is the MLS becoming a JOKE??

mmd

What are your thoughts of all that is happening in the MLS.

A player is signed, now he is not signed.

NYFC coming in league and no stadium plans.

12 teams make the playoffs??????? this one takes the cake in my opinion, similar to the NBA..16 out of 30!!!!! What a joke the NBA is, but that's another topic.

MLS wanting to expand up to 24 teams and maybe beyond....WHY, leave it at 24 MAX...my opinion.

And mini/baby teams... being set up in the USL Pro for MLS clubs rather then sending their best products on loan to other Clubs that can use them, and it will allow to develop further.

Other than NYCFC playing at Yankee Stadium and the whole Lampard debacle, I disagree with the other points.

If anything, a partnership with USL Pro allows MLS teams to control where their players develop. See Jordan Hamilton at Trofense as an example why there could be issues with loaning a player out.

The Lampard situation is a bit of a joke and definately undermines MLS in the eyes of many fans, if it could be undermined any more! The stadium issue is interesting as NYCFC are looking to build a soccer specific stadium in NYC unlike the Red Bulls NJ wasteland stadium,. That said the NYRB stadium itself is impressive. Closer to home TFC are increasing the capacity of BMO Field though the likelyhood is that this is being done with an eye to bringing the CFL into BMO field. So much for soccer specific.

As far as the lower level teams I see it as a good idea...Barcelona 'B' team seems to work. The players will still play in the same league as if they would go on loan, but rather than all play for different teams they can play together which should help the parent team once the players come back.

With the continued expansion of MLS I'd really like to see 2 MLS leagues with promotion and relegation but given the money involved in buying a team I don't see that happening soon.

Other than NYCFC playing at Yankee Stadium and the whole Lampard debacle, I disagree with the other points.

If anything, a partnership with USL Pro allows MLS teams to control where their players develop. See Jordan Hamilton at Trofense as an example why there could be issues with loaning a player out.

The USL Pro partnership I get that point you and Musccsparky have made, makes sense when you look at it that way.

But what about expanding the amount of teams that make the playoffs. I've read in many forums that this will make the regular season not mean too much, especially with no pro/rel. It seems to be a valid concern, especially for die hard soccer fans.

Yes. MLS is a joke to me. From how it is run to all of its idiotic rules, it is ruining my enjoyment of my local team. But that is the problem. My local team plays in that league. If I don't like what MLS is doing, what am I supposed to do? Deny myself of live high caliber football?

So even though MLS is a joke, I still 'support' the league with my money. More and more I am starting to question that decision.

Yes. MLS is a joke to me. From how it is run to all of its idiotic rules, it is ruining my enjoyment of my local team. But that is the problem. My local team plays in that league. If I don't like what MLS is doing, what am I supposed to do? Deny myself of live high caliber football?

So even though MLS is a joke, I still 'support' the league with my money. More and more I am starting to question that decision.

Is the NASL the answer?

MLS:

* Yet another new stadium coming on-line this year, almost all teams have SSS's or have plans for a SSS.

* Each team will have fee-free academies down to U-14 in a couple of years.

* Solid TV deal, excellent streaming platform, reasonable media coverage.

* Big bump in cap coming along with more DP spots, big stars still coming at a solid clip.

* USL affiliations and reserve teams are a massive boost for young players and the NA pyramid.

NASL:

* Can cumulatively draw less in a week than the Sounders can in a home game.

* Minimal television, terrible streaming, next-to-no media coverage.

* Gets the big stars who are too broken down to play in MLS.

* 'Pure' league has teams owned by sports agents, the league, a revolving door of random foreigners who gut whole teams, etc....

As for contributions the domestic game, MLS and NASL play Canadians at a similar rate, which will tip way in MLS's favour with the USL teams. In addition, we've seen that Floro doesn't rate NASL players enough to even call them to the secondary camps. Let's not even talk about the youth level.

I don't hate NASL, and I could do with far fewer Lampard-style fiascos and random drafts, but NASL and MLS are nowhere near the same level at the moment, and MLS is getting stronger, faster. 

Archived